Thread: DIY Kodiak Lodges

Default DIY Kodiak Lodges

Hey guys, have been looking for kodiak lodging for a DIY Goat/Deer hunt that is halfway economical. Just curious what other lodges i have missed. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Would like the option of being able to be dropped off daily by boat vs being airdropped and hunting from one location.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Not sure what economical means but I'd talk with Jeff, kodiakcombo is his handle in here.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

AKPRIDEINVEGAS got just the ticket for you ( or any one else for that matter ) the name is "SPIRIT of ALASKA" owned and operated by
    Steele Davis. I've been there only once but would like a return. Hunted Deer. Several ways to reach him. Free call 1-866-910-2327
    email info@spiritofalaska.com or by mail PO BOX 123 Larsen Bay AK 99624 You won't be disappointed. tell us the story and post the pictures.
    The nice thing is he drops you off daily to a productive spot and picks you up in the evening with his custom landing craft aluminum boat.
    I'll let him fill you in on all the fun in your for. good luck on your fun adventure. Roland on the River

Sounds like maybe this place is what Roland is referring to ? http://www.spiritofalaska.com/

thanks, spoke to Steele at Spirit and Jeff at Kodiak Combos. still looking for options. other option is a drop off but lack of goat knowledge on the island keeps me from going that route with the quick time. plus a warm building to return to at the end of the day sounds nice for a nov hunt.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Based on the trip I made in early September, I would say that a warm place to return to at evening is a must this time of year.....

An Arctic Oven/Spike Camp combo works good on Kodiak. Throw in a small little buddy heater in the AO and you are set.

You don't need much local knowledge on the south end of kodiak, goats are everywhere. Just talk to John Crye at fish and game and either Andrew or Seahawk Air and you'll be set.

Zachar Bay Lodge.

Goats and Deer in the bay. Warm cabins, 2 flushing toilets and a 1 shower stall with hot water. Daily drop offs by skiff.

Just booked Thanksgiving 2014 with Steele! Taking the wife, 2 daughters and a good friend. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Just booked Thanksgiving 2014 with Steele! Taking the wife, 2 daughters and a good friend. Can't wait!
    Any details on the trip you have booked? Prices, lodging details, etc... His website is lacking a lot. I'd like to get back to kodiak again.

Sent while hiding from the boss

0321Tony, it's probably best if you email Steele if you are interested. I had a friend that used him a few years ago and has nothing but good to say about his operation. All his reviews are positive and after dealing with him I feel he really cares about the area and manages it very well. I do know that he is busy with some TV shows and Cabela's give away hunts and also, he gives current hunters first dibs on re booking the same dates for the following year so don't wait too long to book. Steele is a good fair man in my eyes and he's family oriented which was my deciding factor. Good luck!

3 of us hunted with him a few years ago. Nothing but good to say. he does make it clear to you that he would rather you not shoot does.

Steele is awesome. Zachar bay isnt bad, hunted there a few times. warm place to sleep at night, and ok deer hunting. hunt more towards the mouth of the bay, the terrain is much better for deer and when you do see the bears, they arent on top of you. talk to john crye at ADFG before taking a poke at the goats in that area, they move and are in some super rough country, and he had some great insight about that particular herd. i hunted them twice, with no success due to other hunting pressure.