Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rant for the day

Unhappy Rant for the day

I am sure that this does not apply to most here but-----

While I do not use the shooting area at the end of Maud road, I do live in the area and the mess there is beyond belief! The wife and I spent some time this morning attempting to clean up a little. We filled three of the large trash bags with shot gun hulls and did not even make a dent in the mess. It is sad to see that some people are so 'lazy' that they can not pick up after their selves! There was even a Wal-Mart bag that the person put most of the hulls in it and LEFT it there. When I drive by there, most everyone is in a vehicle of some sort, so why not take a few minutes and take your trash back out with you? Guess they just do not care! If the users do not police up after their selves, they might loose the area to shooting.

I did manage to fill a coffee can and a gallon zip lock bag with reloadable brass so not all was lost.

End of RANT!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I,ve never been there, myself.

I HEARD that someone left a shooting bench and it was destroyed, part of it used for a fire. (Something to that effect.)

Are there a lot of bulky stuff, or is it just smaller trash?

We need to get some groups together, and clean it up. Some signs might help, also.

It should be done before the snow flies. I would be willng to help if some others were goin with me.

When folks SEE trash, they are more likely to add to it.

I wish the shooting ranges weren't so expensive for the casual shooters. I'd like to see them offer special days, and limited guest privileges. ????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I am NOT a Community Organizer. I don't want the name of it.

Howsomever, I would suggest, and encourage those who put on the gun shows to offer free entrance, or some other incentives to those who participate in a Maud Road cleanup.

Our reputations as Gun Guys,and Gals is at stake.

Ever Forward, between naps.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default Mess Makers

Its sad for sure when folks use the outdoors as their private landfill. It really doesn't matter what the activity, you can find slobs everywhere. From target shooters who don't clean up their waste, to motorsports enthusiasts who are sloppy when filling or draining petro products, to lazy fisherman who foul waters with trash and discarded mono. There are $#itheels in all walks of life. Luckilly there are far more good and responsible folks than there are @ssholes.

The best any of us can do in these type situations is what we all know is proper. Clean up after the slobs ourselves. It might take some time, and it might keep us from doing something else we'd rather be doing, but in the end its likely that nobody else is going to do it.

Education is the best way to combat this type of thing. People do this type of stuff because nobody ever showed them any better. When that fails, as it sometimes does, the next thing is shame. If everyone in the community scorns those who befoul our land, that will become a taboo behavior.

Either way, its a group effort. Those folks who take time out of their lives to clean up after the inconsiderate really are special people. We should all be grateful they are out there, and they deserve our praise and admiration.

Good rant Bearcat. I get ticked off every time I pass the Maud shooting area. Not only is it an eyesore and pollution issue but it invites more regulation, enforcement and cost for public land use. Sadly, I doubt that the scumbags who are doing it understand that freedom requires responsibility.

If I could be KRPUA czar for awhile I would shut it down until it gets cleaned up.

Kenai has lost two such shooting areas due to trash and a third due to general lack of respect for the landowner and neighbors. Probably won't be long for the area you guys are talking about if something doesn't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill-conceived. Incomplete. Underfunded. Unsupervised.

It takes only a few idiots to ruin things. The situation there is worse post KRPUA legislation and 'planning'.

Additionally, off to the side (in the swale to the R. of the cleared new range site, where one is no longer supposed to shoot = illegal) drainage from the area is acknowledged as into the wetlands (prime fish, waterfowl, and wildlife habitat).
    There is a completed 'Plan' at DNR for the range, a while in the making after failed conceptions, but no funds to follow thru.

Not sure when the 'End of Rant' may actually occur.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Who needs more legislation and planning? Whatta waste. When did that ever work?

Just clean it up. I toldya already. Trash invites trash.

This is not about any adjacent swamp. We don't have a shortage of swamps. We have a shortage of places to shoot.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I am not sure what the weather holds for this weekend, but I would be willing to spend a little time cleaning up the Maud road site. Any ideas?

If a cleanup is on my week off I would be happy to help. Yeah, I think the only to do this kind of thing is to just do it. The govt would spend hundreds of thousands to study it and then determine that it might do harm to the spotted owl or the snail darter or some such and close the place down completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Who needs more legislation and planning? Whatta waste. When did that ever work?

Just clean it up. I toldya already. Trash invites trash.

This is not about any adjacent swamp. We don't have a shortage of swamps. We have a shortage of places to shoot.

SOTN
    Its always amazed me how difficult it is to find a place to shoot in this "gun friendly" state. Even in Western Washington, the liberal holy land, you can shoot in the state forest, they even have a designated area for it...

Tues, Thur, or Fri, best for me. Depending. I have a pick'em up truck, a tarp and tie downs.

Not everyone can go on the same day, of course, and the job prob. won't get done in one day.

I don't know what to expect, but I've envisioned several groups of several people, on several days. No set amounts or time spent. Whatever works out.

All, reporting current conditions, and progress on here for the next groups.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Its always amazed me how difficult it is to find a place to shoot in this "gun friendly" state. Even in Western Washington, the liberal holy land, you can shoot in the state forest, they even have a designated area for it...
    Same here. NOT, being gun friendly doesn't seem to be Alaskan.

Still, there are a LOT of people who are anti-gun. Hunters are a minority. Animals are worshipped, especially bears.

Things are not what they they seem to be.

SOTN

If you like your dawgie, you can keep,em.
    You can't out-give God.

I have built two nice comfortable shooting benches out there, and they were both destroyed within a day or two. no one respects peoples efforts it seems. I used to live off of upper smith so I used that shooting area often. Always picked up my brass ( duh) and never saw a reason to leave any trash laying there. It's also a good spot to sit and glass for bears. Jus ticked me off so much every time I went out I spent more time picking **** up than shooting. Sure hope people get thier act together and keep it nicer so we don't lose that.

Release Lake Trout

I'm going out Fri about noon and see what I can do. Hope there isn't a bunch shooting so I can access the range for clean up. I saw both of the benches and wondered how long the would last. Really tics me that some think they have to destroy everything in sight.

I had left a 55gal barrel for a trash can. I lasted about a week before it was gone.... Weekdays are good times to go shooting, weekends are a lot busier. I think Sunday afternoon is the worst

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Same here. NOT, being gun friendly doesn't seem to be Alaskan.

Still, there are a LOT of people who are anti-gun. Hunters are a minority. Animals are worshipped, especially bears.

Things are not what they they seem to be.

SOTN

If you like your dawgie, you can keep,em.
    Any chance you can re-submit that post in coherent form?

I grew up on maud road and always shot back there with my dad when I was young and everytime we left we filled his truck. He still goes back there often to find brass and picks up trash with no end in sight. I would be willing to get together with a few trucks and load them up to put a dent in it and I'm pretty sure there is someone to talk to about getting free dump tickets for the landfill. Anyone know more about this? If not I'll just pay no worries. I can make Friday at noon work

Quote Originally Posted by DanielApplin View Post
    I grew up on maud road and always shot back there with my dad when I was young and everytime we left we filled his truck. He still goes back there often to find brass and picks up trash with no end in sight. I would be willing to get together with a few trucks and load them up to put a dent in it and I'm pretty sure there is someone to talk to about getting free dump tickets for the landfill. Anyone know more about this? If not I'll just pay no worries. I can make Friday at noon work
    Which landfill?

About 5 years ago I brought a bunch of crap including some chemicals from the Kings River area to the Anchorage solid waste transfer facility. I told the lady at the guard shack where I had gotten the stuff in the hopes that she might give me a break on the hazmat fees. Instead she told me that they aren't supposed to accept garbage from outside the municipality. After explaining that I was an Anchorage resident and claimed ownership of the junk she let me bring it in, but I had to pay the fees.

I think the central landfill in the valley, I thought I read somewhere once about them giving free passes for clean ups of this sort, maybe not though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast