Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 S&w choices

Default 40 S&w choices

Was at Sportsmans this weekend and held the Glock, the Ruger and Springfield. Ones to avoid? I liked the safety mechanism of the Ruger.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Well, I own the G-24 G-22 and two G-35's and have had zero malfunctions. But then I 98% of my shooting is generic FMJ ammo. They are double butt ugly however they function.

Go with the Glock's, they function. We have some and they go with us all of the time. If I was looking for a revolver, then hands down it would be a Ruger.

I personally hate Glocks. Of all the guns I've sold or traded the .40 Glock was the one I'm happiest to see gone. I replaced it with a Taurus Millenium that I like much better.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I went in the store to get a Glock .40 and walked out with a M&P .40. I prefer the ergos and lower bore axis. So far no regrets. I like it enough that I went and bought the smaller version (M&P Shield) in 9mm for concealed carry.

At the time I was comparing to third generation Glocks. I think most of them on the shelf now are fourth generation which I haven't looked closely at yet.

I own a G-22 in 40 cal. It is simple, have never had a misfire, and it hits the target most of the time. It is a keeper.

I had the opportunity to test fire several rounds through nearly every semi-auto .40S&W or .45ACP on the market at the time, nearly purchased a Sig Sauer but instead chose the H&K USP Compact. The Sig was the closest and would have been a fine choice, the difference in $ was the deciding factor, otherwise those two makes shamed the rest. I never looked back.

I have a G22 Police Trade In. It sports a few dings and scars but it has never let me down after already firing enough rounds to have a dark bore. I also have a 357 Sig Barrel and bought a 9mm barrel and mag from a G19?
    It ain't purty but it goes bang every time I pull the trigger and is accurate enough to consistently shoot tight groups at the range I need it to do so and it fits my average sized hands.
    I can take the slide off and put it back on before someone with a different design can take the slide off.

Ruger Sr40c is pretty **** good! I compared them all and left with the ruger... Go to 3bears they have way better deals on glocks, rugers, etc.

I don't have any experience with the Ruger.

Glocks are drop-dead reliable. Between training schools and quals, I couldn't even begin to tell you how many cases of rounds I've put through mine over the years and it still chatters away. The Springfield's reputation continues to grow. I've handled them and like how they feel in the hand, but never shot one.

Another consideration would be the S&W M&P in one of its flavors minus the internal lock and mag disconnect. My boss and one of the guys I work with have M&P Pro (no locks, disconnects or extended widgets to muck up the works) models. These I have shot and in my opinion are just as good as the Glock.

Actually, I think the the S&W M&P with the interchangeable backstraps was the competitive motivation Glock needed to make their Perfection a little mo' better with the Gen4s.
    Now what ?

Buy the Glock.Unless you have very petite hands...meaning you wear a medium or smaller glove...you will find the double stack butt acceptable and controllable.Glocks work...all the time.

If you want a smaller butt profile, the G36 is the answer.Much slimmer feel and carry.

45ACP options in ammo are extensive.Will outstop any 40 whatever.

Granted, ONLY seven rounds.If you can't get it done with 7 rounds, then you need more practice...or you shouldn't have been there in the first place.Or just carry another mag.

Seriously, 7 rounds of 45 ACP high performance ammo will close 99.9% of all handgun encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Was at Sportsmans this weekend and held the Glock, the Ruger and Springfield. Ones to avoid? I liked the safety mechanism of the Ruger.
    I've known guys that have used any of these manufacturers (and others besides) with great satisfaction. If there were things that strike your fancy, such as the safety, then it'd be hard to fault that selection. Better than simply holding them is firing them with similar loads and see what you find most suitable. I've known too many of each of these pistols to say that one manufacturer is always preferable to the other........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 7STW View Post
    45ACP options in ammo are extensive.Will outstop any 40 whatever.

Granted, ONLY seven rounds.If you can't get it done with 7 rounds, then you need more practice...or you shouldn't have been there in the first place.Or just carry another mag.

Seriously, 7 rounds of 45 ACP high performance ammo will close 99.9% of all handgun encounters.
    Maybe 10-15 years ago due to more abundant ammo choices being available for 45 but even then 45 ball was equal to 40 FBI stranded that was about all you could get. Today 40 ammo is plentiful and for every 45 high performance there is an equal 40 offering. Best you could say is 45 can through a little heaver bullet but 40 due to pressure ratings through a plenty heavy bullet faster . . . Even heat between them.

Boils down to same power so do you want 35-45% more capacity for the same size gun or just stay old school. Capacity is why law enforcement and military went 9mm, stopping power with capacity is why FBI went 10mm . . . Too much power is why they came up with 40S&W, 45acp like power but with much more capacity is why its now the law enforcement go-to.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    None to avoid. They're all good. If you're going to buy a holster for it, I would rank them Glock, Springfield, Ruger - strictly due to availability. Ruger is probably the cheapest price wise, but a solid gun - with a "traditional" safety. Lots of guys swear by the Springfields. Glocks - they're everywhere. I'm not sure, but usually the Glock's have the largest capacity magazines.

If you like a "traditional" safety, get the Ruger or look at a Beretta Storm which will probably be about the same price.

Default 40 cal

They are all good but the Sig is much better IMO. J.

I am a fan of the H&K and have the .40 compact as another has mentioned on here. It is the most durable, abusable no nonsense weapon I own. Simple to tear down for cleaning and has never missfired in the 15 years I have owned it and countless rounds shot.
    I hear a lot of people loving the M&P and would love to give one a whirl.
    All the hand guns anymore seem to be great depending on your application. Find one that fits your hand and feels good and go from there. Lot of people love the Glock and lot hate them, I hate them but not because of function but feel in my hand...
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

AKBliss:

Have you handled and/or fired a G36?

For civilian carry, IMHO,it's the cat's meow.When you need help in a big way, I'll take the 230 Gold Dot every day...and only have to call 911 when the encounter is over.And they cart away whomever needed to be shot.

How interesting...........the other guy "IS" Thinking the exact same thing.....

When you need help in a big way, I'll take the 230 Gold Dot every day...and only have to call 911 when the encounter is over.And they cart away whomever needed to be shot.

Keep in mind that these stories are purely anecdotal, and you know how the internet is, but there apparently have been some problems with the Ruger:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/...ing-issue.html
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

AKBliss:

Have you handled and/or fired a G36?

For civilian carry, IMHO,it's the cat's meow.When you need help in a big way, I'll take the 230 Gold Dot every day...and only have to call 911 when the encounter is over.And they cart away whomever needed to be shot.
    No I havent tried it. I just don't like how much the Glock rocks in my hand. We all have our preferences I guess. In response to the original post this was trying to find a .40 cal hand gun. I do believe the .40 is very capable for self protection but don't argue the 230 grain Gold Dot is a good bullet in a .45. I personally load 180 grain Gold dots for my .40.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast