Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you reheat food?

Default how do you reheat food?

how do you reheat leftovers without power? As I prepare for my Alaska dream,I am curious haw this is done. I get the soups, stews and typical stuff but what about pancakes? Does the oven work? I am picking up my wood kitchen stove next month and am trying to get everything sorted out now so life is smooth ( HA!) when I get there. Thanks
    only 2 more years and I get to spend 3 months in the best place on earth.....ALASKA!

Can do almost anything on a decent woodstove and cast iron dutch oven....or try a coon-ass microwave.
    BK

Who re-heats pancakes? How do you ever have leftover pancakes???!!! Thats just crazy talk.

Almost anything you can 'nuke' to re-heat can be also done in a conventional oven. Sometimes you have to add a little liquid or what you are re-heating will be dry as dust.

Less is more when it comes to how hot to make the oven for re-heats usually.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Can do almost anything on a decent woodstove and cast iron dutch oven....or try a coon-ass microwave.
    BK
    OK Bk, I had never heard of a coonass microwave so had to look it up. Interesting. Having the coals or heat source on top is a bit odd since heat rises but I guess enough radiates down to do the job. Very creative.

Scott

Coon-ass microwave = a big ol dutch oven.
    I'm sure your not the only one though...
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    Having the coals or heat source on top is a bit odd since heat rises...
    Heat does not rise. Heat is transmitted in 3 basic ways; convection, conduction, and radiation...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Some folks call them Cajun microwaves. Same thing though, just a different name for it.

If you had to heat up pancakes, put them in a frying pan with a little oil or not and keep turning them over until hot.

I always have a large pot of water on the stove to keep the humidity up. You can reheat/cook anything in a ziplock bag thrown into the hot water.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I once tried to reheat some food, nachos I think it was, inside my woodstove, don't ask me why....coals were nice and glowy, seemed like a good idea at the time....they came out tasting like burned spruce sap, lol
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

A metal colander or steaming pan to put over boiling water and a lid can reheat stuff that might get dried out otherwise. Plastic ones just melt, experiential knowledge happening here.

George

Quote Originally Posted by SockeyeOne View Post
    Some folks call them Cajun microwaves. Same thing though, just a different name for it.
    coon-ass is to 'cajun' as hillbilly is to 'appalachian'

Quote Originally Posted by hunt-fish-trap View Post
    how do you reheat leftovers without power? As I prepare for my Alaska dream,I am curious haw this is done. I get the soups, stews and typical stuff but what about pancakes? Does the oven work? I am picking up my wood kitchen stove next month and am trying to get everything sorted out now so life is smooth ( HA!) when I get there. Thanks
    Wow !!! If you plan on living the "Alaska Dream", gonna have to get creative like the rest of us. This is minor compared to the rigors of living in a dry cabin in the winter when temps drop to -20* or so and working a day job in town. I only do it because I'm building a house out of pocket and everything I make goes into it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first reaction to the original post was "You're kidding, right?", meaning obviously you reheat things by warming them up... some heat should do it; but as the replies were posted I scolded myself for being a wise A and I have enjoyed reading them. Different techniques suit different foods and it will depend on the equipment at hand. One old trick I have used and not yet seen posted: Stale bread is nicely revived by putting the bread in a wetted brown paper bag and putting the bag in a warm oven until the bag is dry. Of course brown paper bags are scarce these days so you have to save them when you get them. I save the mushroom bags still available at Freddies.

Reheat pancakes? Just spread peanut butter and jelly on the cold ones and use them for a sandwich.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Reheat pancakes? Just spread peanut butter and jelly on the cold ones and use them for a sandwich.
    +2 what Doug says...!!

tin foil and place on top of wood stove..

run a stick through them twice and heat like you would cut a hotdog

Lots o' methods/techinics

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Heat does not rise. Heat is transmitted in 3 basic ways; convection, conduction, and radiation...
    Yeah yeah, highschool physics and semantics.

heat does not rise, HOT AIR (water etc.) does.....

Wise guy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Yeah yeah, highschool physics and semantics.

heat does not rise, HOT AIR (water etc.) does.....

Wise guy.....
    Yeah his reply to my comment was pretty funny. I think everyone knew what I meant.....

Scott

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

I don't eat pancakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast