Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha fur processors in anchorage

Default Alpha fur processors in anchorage

Hey all anyone do biz with this outfit? Reviews? Experiences? Gonna see bout gettin that bear hide tanned. Thanks fellas

Release Lake Trout

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

They've done several bears for me. Great job every time.

I just heard they are no longer accepting bison and moose? Can anyone confirm this?

They did my Kodiak Bear, quick turn around and the hide is soft, no smell and looks great. They also did my Sitka Buck and Jesse mounted it, turned out awesome as well.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Hey all anyone do biz with this outfit? Reviews? Experiences? Gonna see bout gettin that bear hide tanned. Thanks fellas
    I've taken Gary several animals each year and I'm happy with the results. He's probably done in the neighborhood of two dozen for me and the only complaint is one black bear that I didn't have time to flesh, they fleshed a little close.

Ive had several things sent to Gary in the past when we got a little behind.

From a taxidermists view, the bears when soaked back up didn't have very good stretch which is imperative for getting the appropriate sizes back out of a tanned skin.

I have had Fits with them misplacing my crates & boxes until I call to find out why the tanning is not done.

He has never Lost anything but a couple of times it has taken them a couple days to get back to me to say they found my stuff.

When you are dealing with Customers skins that is an unnecessary headache.

If the skins are not going to be soaked back up for mounting, yes they are soft & clean.

All tanneries have their quirks.

We have quit using any tanneries because it is easier to keep track of our clients expensive animal skins.

Less headache & stress.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    www.protaxidermy.com
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Thanks for the feedback! Are they expensive?

Release Lake Trout

My son and I shot his fist animal together 18 months ago, it was a beautiful river otter. Got song and dance for a year and ultimately was never found?? Was so nice it was taken? I had plans for a life size with it. Was replaced with a mediocre wall hanger with no feet and not same color. They won't ever be getting my business again!

We mount lifesize Marco Pollo Sheep , African Sable, Lions, & Leopards. Almost IMPOSSIBLE to replace items.

But it doesn't matter if its an Elephant cape or a Martin skin, If its a customers & the tannery we send it to looses or damages it beyond repair, the responsibility ultimately falls on us & OUR clients will turn on us in an instant.

Even if it was not our fault at all.

If you really want an eye opener, look closely at the invoice you get from a tannery, Every one of them say " ALL TANNING IS DONE AT THE CUSTOMERS RISK, & Voids any resposability to the TANNERY"

I get phone calls & emails all the time from some VERY GOOD tanneries asking if I have certain animal skins to sell them so they can replace a customers piece that they either lost or ruined.

Makes ya kind of wonder if you are getting your own skins back in the first place.

A buddy of mine tried to get a fox done there and they talked him out of getting it tanned, said it wasn't good enough to be worth tanning. I tried to take my moose hide to them and they didn't want to do it, I woulda paid $300 or so to have it done, instead i'm shipping it to Idaho, "Furs for Fun". Talked with the guy a while, he's running a family business, seems legit. Several guys on the predator hunting forum have used him successfully so i'm going to give him a try.

After getting pissed at Alfpha I decided to do two caribou hides myself, first one has turned out great. Second one is in the pickle now. Not as nice as a tannery would have done, but plenty good enough for me. Kit from Van Dykes ran about $40 shipped.

Default yeah but do they actually tan your hide, or send it out?

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Makes ya kind of wonder if you are getting your own skins back in the first place.
    Actually it makes me wonder something else, entirely.

A question first though. Does this processor tan the hides, or send them out? If the latter and its not a taxidermy job, aren't you really hiring an "order taker" (or said more nicely, a true middleman) that is merely handling the shipping/handling to/from the real tannery?

And not to get too far out there on the "if"s, but if that is the case, why not send it to the best known (for quality and more) tannery yourself?

Back to what it makes ya wonder: I have had tanned a number of hides and many times I do make a secret mark on the hide so I know if its mine that is returned or not. I have usually had my hide returned, and the times I did not, I received a larger hide (and it very good condition) than the one I dropped off.

What it makes me wonder, is what happened to the guy that dropped off the larger hide (that I got back)? Sure its easy to say I"m not him lucky me, but do biz with them long enough and it will be you/me that got shorted.

So far as me, if its taxidermy work I'll take it to the guy I want to do the work. and if its just hide tanning, I'll send it to moyles myself.

Actually Moyles isn't without fault either.

A few years ago they RUINED Several Buffalo capes for several taxidermists.

I was one of the Many that did not get my capes back, & now I hear they have been busted bt the FEDS for taking in Unsealed skins from Alaska, & now other horror stories circling on Taxidermy.net about them.

As for Gary doing the work, YES he does the tanning in his facility, but for some reason there is a lack of knowing where things are that has me staying away.

Through the years I have used almost ALL of the best tanneries & eventually they screwed me over by ruining something.

Actually Moyles isn't without fault either.

A few years ago they RUINED Several Buffalo capes for several taxidermists.

I was one of the Many that did not get my capes back, & now I hear they have been busted bt the FEDS for taking in Unsealed skins from Alaska, & now other horror stories circling on Taxidermy.net about them.

As for Gary doing the work, YES he does the tanning in his facility, but for some reason there is a lack of knowing where things are that has me staying away.

Through the years I have used almost ALL of the best tanneries & eventually they screwed me over by ruining something.
    That is certain; http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Tanning-damage

Alpha ruined a life size ram for one of my clients and a nine foot grizzly....every hide after that went to Tim at trophy tanning an taxidermy out in Palmer. Probably 2 or 3 dozen bears have been thru his place with no complaints.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Another vote for Tim at Trophy Taxi in Palmer.
    Good guy, small operation, all work done in house.
    BK

Tim Does do a good job.

& Kudos on the INHOUSE tanning.

Less chance of Loss or misplaced skins.

Completion times are usually less ( Because we don't have to wait on things to come back from a tannery.

Better Quality control. ( This way I don't have to pay for someone else to cut skins to pieces, If I do it I have to fix it)

AS LONG AS THE GUY IS REPUTABLE & does a good job in the first place.

Just like taxidermists , There are Good ones & there are BAD ones.

Again do your home work.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

I do think its the nature of tanning that once in a while a mistake is going to happen in the process, that's fine with me. What's not fine to me is not sending the right hides back to their respective owners.

Never the less, glad to hear there is someone in the valley tanning, i'll try and call him about my moose hide tomorrow, thanks fellas!

I agree, Shoot happens, But when it happens to customers skins & we as taxidermists still have to pay the bill ,then explain what happened to the skin, That's what doesn't make any sence.

Also , I have been tanning our own skins in Both my taxidermy studios since 1996 & every once in a while I will send something in just to get caught up, THEN I get the skins back ( 3 lifesize mountain Lions that I skinned & fleshed ) & they have been cut to RIBBONS By supposedly the best tannery in the USA ( WG) & they say that the skins must have been damaged in skinning.

Then I tell them that I skinned & fleshed the animals & have photos of the skins after fleshing , I heard nothing for a couple weeks then I received a FREE deer cape tan coupon in the mail for my trouble.

On top of loosing a Good client over the mess.

That's why I don't trust ANY tannery & will tan the skins myself from that point further.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

I agree, Shoot happens, But when it happens to customers skins & we as taxidermists still have to pay the bill ,then explain what happened to the skin, That's what doesn't make any sence.

Also , I have been tanning our own skins in Both my taxidermy studios since 1996 & every once in a while I will send something in just to get caught up, THEN I get the skins back ( 3 lifesize mountain Lions that I skinned & fleshed ) & they have been cut to RIBBONS By supposedly the best tannery in the USA ( WG) & they say that the skins must have been damaged in skinning.

Then I tell them that I skinned & fleshed the animals & have photos of the skins after fleshing , I heard nothing for a couple weeks then I received a FREE deer cape tan coupon in the mail for my trouble.

On top of loosing a Good client over the mess.

That's why I don't trust ANY tannery & will tan the skins myself from that point further.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    I agree, I don't know that I will send anything out anymore, just too easy to do at home with the supplies available on line. I have my second caribou hide in the pickle as we speak, should be done by this time next week!

I called the fella in the valley and he wanted $600 to do the moose hide that i'm still convinced is too big for me to do so it will be heading to Idaho as soon as I can find a box big enough for it...

You guys that are home tanning, how are you shaving your hides?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast