Thread: Flats access?

Default Flats access?

While rabbit hunting yesterday, I found an area that I would really love to trap for otters. The problem there is that it was a solid hour and a half walk from the road, and that's not something that I'm gonna wanna do every time. However, the area has quite a few four wheeler trails, but I'm not finding any information anywhere about where any of them might start. Does anyone know how to get a four wheeler into the part of the flats on the eastern side of the Glenn? Sorry if that's a question with a pretty commonly known answer, I'm just not all that familiar with the area!
    Ryan from Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    While rabbit hunting yesterday, I found an area that I would really love to trap for otters. The problem there is that it was a solid hour and a half walk from the road, and that's not something that I'm gonna wanna do every time. However, the area has quite a few four wheeler trails, but I'm not finding any information anywhere about where any of them might start. Does anyone know how to get a four wheeler into the part of the flats on the eastern side of the Glenn? Sorry if that's a question with a pretty commonly known answer, I'm just not all that familiar with the area!
    I know some of that area is off limits to ATVs. Not sure about using a snow machine. I'd call fish and game and ask first.

Probably not a bad idea. I'll have to do that, thanks.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    I would get with ADFG tell them where abouts your trying to access and they can give you the boundarys of the Refuge. I know you can get access up by knik river bridge on the Old Glenn, To my knowledge there is no access from the New Glenn as it is protected wetlands. There are trails there that aren't supposed to be motorized. In the winter time I believe with 12 inches of snow cover you are permitted access with a snow machine in some areas.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

The habitat division can issue stream crossing permits for those trails also

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    The habitat division can issue stream crossing permits for those trails also

sent from my igloo
    Okay, that's awesome to know, because I did see some signs saying not to cross the water on a four wheeler. I'll talk to Fish and Game tomorrow and see what the deal is.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Go to Google Earth or Alaska mapper and got to where you found the wheeler trails, then backtrack them (on the air photos) to where they start.

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    Go to Google Earth or Alaska mapper and got to where you found the wheeler trails, then backtrack them (on the air photos) to where they start.
    Yeah, that's what I've been doing. They're surprisingly hard to follow, but I'm definitely giving it a shot!
    Ryan from Wasilla