Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally posting pics of the dream!!

Default Finally posting pics of the dream!!

The end of August, my daughter Kassye and I got on a plane in Idaho Falls, Idaho and began our adventure to Alaska. We had spent several months planning and packing and the trip was finally at hand. alaska2013iphone 535.jpgA couple of our bags, packed and weighed. While on the plane my daughter noticed that the curtain between first class and coach had to be stowed for take-off and landing( the curtain is about 4" on one side, 10" on the other and about 20 inches wide)alaska2013iphone 537.jpg

Attachment 74872Attachment 74873Kassye really enjoyed the berries from the second she hit the site. We covered her in tape as this was opening day of moose season. She kept sticking her tongue out to show me how blue it was getting-I promised not to post the worst pics! Even when it was raining she would sneak out and pick a few berries for a snack.
    FYI. Kassye is not comfortable as I am with camping in Alaska. Early on we made the decision that she would be much more comfortable sleeping in the car-so we did.

These pics are some of the first we took on the site. First thing we did was identify the corners of our property. Sadly, on several previous visits I had assumed the wrong land was ours. This time I did not make the same mistake. We spent a couple of days knocking down trees in the area we determined to place the cabin. In the rain. The first pic is us after a long day in the rain-she is obviously loving life in Alaska. The second is a pic of the site without my ugly mug.Attachment 74874Attachment 74875

Attachment 74876Attachment 74877My daughter is a girl, a girly girl. She required a couple of showers per week.. So every couple of days or so we would slip down to the park and take some showers. Highly recommended by the way!! get #4 in both the mens and womens showers-they are for the impaired and have a bunch more room! Showers cost about $5 apiece, her happiness was worth it. On the way back we slipped out to the lake at the end of the stampede (for car drivers) and took a pic. My daughter is enchanted by Alexander Supertramp so I made a concession.

Attachment 74878Attachment 74879Another day she got to wanting to visit Fairbanks. Again I gave in to her. We stopped on the way up at a little cafe in Nenana and had a wonderful breakfast. The drive was only about 90 minutes and full of photo opportunities. we also stopped by GV electric to see if they would hook me up. they gave me all the paperwork and the ladies were great help. I stopped in to Home Depot to check out my options as well...

Attachment 74880Attachment 74881I worked alone a large portion of the time, cutting and clearing. She was not impressed by the near constant rain. Oftentimes I would return to the car to find her reading or eating berries. I cleared the entire lot and a drive from the existing trail. i also walked the entire property and cut down 58 trees that were 25+ feet long and at least 10" diameter for the cabin. It was Kassye's job to strip the bark-didn't fare to well there! daily I would return to the campsite and this is the view as the sun begins to go low on the horizon.

Attachment 74882Attachment 74883Golden Valley Electric told me I had to cut a swath through the trees to an existing power pole. I picked the pole I wanted and cut the path you see in the first photo. That was cleared quickly and it was time to start on the cabin site itself. Kassye and I worked very hard for two days and soon had the site cleared as well. This second photo is Kassye observing our work at the end of our first day of clearing.

http://youtu.be/KqEBZ8J2vBM
    This is a video of the two of us leaving our car and heading down to the cabin site. Not a real exciting video but some might be interested.
    http://youtu.be/VeV8vrvmwTo
    This is the rest of the video after I got the firearm. I know it looks like I point the firearm in her direction, I assure you the angle is missleading.

Attachment 74884Attachment 74885The last several days were spent cutting the stumps down and becoming familiar with the land. Kassye found a private little clearing that she loved and plans to return often-I hope she does. Most of the pics from the last couple of days are on another camera and I do not have them now-perhaps I can post more of those later. For now, a pic of our favorite eatery. We enjoyed several meals at Rose's when my girl got to needing more than Mountain house. We stopped by the parks visitor center and looked around. Kassye loves animals and many of the displays were right up here ally. We rode the bus into Eilson (sp) one day as well and took hundreds of pics on another camera.

Attachment 74886A couple of moose we saw on the road.

Attachment 74888Attachment 74889On the road back towards town we stopped many times for pics, these are a couple of my favorites from the trip home. One is just some scenery, the other is my purdy face!!

Attachment 74890Attachment 74891Just a couple of pics from the campground we stopped at on the way into town, Solly lake I think.

Attachment 74892Attachment 74893Back at ANC. My girl has plugged back in and is not happy to have her photo taken again! Looking out the window it is easy to see what it is that draws me back again and again.
    I had a great time with my daughter. We got the lot cleared and the logs cut. We did not get evrything done that I hoped but I was able to connect with my daughter on levels that I thought were gone. I have hundreds more photos, several more videos and lots of memories left to share. I'll try for more later. Nick

Unfortunately I can't view any of the pics other than in post #1.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Let me think on that... When I started the thread I had to upload to the site but when I responded I was not given that option...

The attachment thing does not work.. you have to upload them either to your photo gallery on here or some other file sharing website.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sounds like you had a good start. Photobucket is your friend. :0)
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I added all the pics to my album on alaska called cabin pics.. but i cannot edit these posts. feel free to look at the album.

Nikster, try starting a blog for your adventure, I'll try to find the site as my Sis and Brother in Law did one on bringing their new Vessel up the inside passage.

Congrats on your piece of Alaska, just closed on a nice lot last week myself !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SANDRAT View Post
    Nikster, try starting a blog for your adventure

This is a good idea and what I'm doing to chronicle my cabin building adventure.
    Just started the blog so it's a little lacking on info at this point, but I haven't really done anything other than the leg and paperwork so far.

http://anglersparadise.ca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast