Thread: Filming bears over bait

Default Filming bears over bait

I'm a camera guy and have never used a camcorder. I am doing a brown/black bear hunt this coming spring over bait and am interested in filming it. Does anyone have experience with a camcorder...and how to mount it in a treestand where it can be turned on with minimum movement? Just curious what model you use and how you set it up? Are they quiet enough to not spook bears within say...50 yards? Thanks in advance for your input.

I have two buddies that use muddy camera arms and have good success with them from tree stands.
    http://www.gomuddy.com/store/maincat-Camera-Arms/3.html

Quote Originally Posted by Team Kabob View Post
    I have two buddies that use muddy camera arms and have good success with them from tree stands.
    http://www.gomuddy.com/store/maincat-Camera-Arms/3.html
    Agree with the Muddys... more$ but work the best.

I think a gopro would be neat to use for bear baiting. Thinking about getting one myself.

I have an arm I got through Lone Wolf Treestands that works pretty well. It is compack enough to fit in a small backpak.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think a gopro would be neat to use for bear baiting. Thinking about getting one myself.
    Gopros shoot excellent video quality. Just lack in the zooming in portion filming

I have enjoyed filming and taking pictures over bait for years. I like setting up two tree stands and allowing the hunter to focus on shooting and the photographer to focus on pictures and filming..50yds? maybe because we bow hunt but most of our pictures and film is within 25 yds and often 25 feet or less, like directly under tree stands..which are like 15 feet...makes for an exciting time. My wife loves shooting pictures so often i set up just for this and have taken others out to shoot pictures. Most of the time the bears don't give a dang, and if you use all tricks of the trade they will be focus on that sugar coated popcorn and not you. I'm a hunter and not a camera guy, but any good camera will shoot great pictures and film. I even filmed a hunt with a point and shoot and it came out great...Best of luck.