Thread: 280 ai

Default 280 ai

Ok.. I have a stupid question. I have a 280 AI Kimber bolt action. Can I shoot factory 280 remington cartridges in this gun?

Yes, AI chambers are the same headspace as the standard. In most AIs thatís how you get your brass, fire forming factory loads or factory standard brass. Your factory 280 ammo will loose 50-100fps fired in a 280AI chamber but will function fine.

280AI is no longer a wildcat like other AIs though, itís now a factory offering with SAAMI numbers, factory 280AI chambered rifles and factory ammo made just for it with proper head stamp to feed them. So you can buy (if you can find any) factory 280AI ammo but there is no reason you canít go old school and fire form like has always been done then reload with the AI dies.

Oh and it's not at all a stupid question . . . finding out what you don't know is what questions are for.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Also this is info you should know being a 280AI owner. There is much talk about traditional 280AI being different than the new SAAMI 280AI, you will run into it sooner or later. The headspace numbers are different, true. However they are of identical real headspace, they are both the same. The numbers are different only because two different methods were used to get the numbers.

Anyway, just know 280AI is 280AI no matter if cut with a SAAMI reamer and gage or traditional reamer and gage. If you want a better explanation read this link.
    https://gunsmithtalk.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/280-ackley-improved-emperical-headspace-test/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks ADFields! Living in Fbanks, it is hard as heck to find factory ammo in 280 AI. I guess I need to start reloading.

Yes if we lived in the lesser 48 you could order it off the web but shipping to Alaska is a mess . . . Reloading is just about as fun as shooting once you get into it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If you reload, Sportsmans there in fairbanks should have Nosler brass available (74.99 per 50 count), they have them currently at the Anchorage and Wasilla locations, thats what I use for reloading. The only place I seen the dies are at Boondock, but are available for order.

Be forewarned : everything that says 280 Ackley Improved on it tends to be the most expensive around here. I've seen the price of the nosler 280 AI brass jump from 64.99 to 74.99 in a span of 2 years, can't figure it out since 30-06 nosler brass runs 51.99 .

I would try to reload for it, why don't you get with Stid he's got some good loads for it there.

SW in Fairbanks had the brass last I looked. I would be happy to help with either reloads or even bring a couple box of factory back with me on the airlines.

Bringing ammo back as baggage on the jet has been about the cheapest way I have found to get factory stuff. I'm going to be working up loads using the 150 grain Long Range Accubonds this spring.

Lack of availability of components is the reason I have started shooting my 30-06s most of the time, EZ to find stuff for a 06 still.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

yes you can shoot 280 remington out of 280 ackley improved