Thread: First blood, part 2

Default First blood, part 2

So last year I shot my first lynx, (a buddy took me out on my birthday) I got hooked. However I was broke and my car wasn't running well. So i didn't get out much after that. Fast forward to this year, new job and the car is running well so I got myself a fox pro and got set up for some more predator hunting. So I made my first set of the year tonight. A coworker of mine said she would see fox every morning when she would drive in to work at this one spot, so I figured that would be a good place to start. So went out and made my set let the call go for a little over 20 minutes. Figuring nothing was coming in I grabbed my call and was about to head back to the car when the I saw it... Well I wasn't quite sure what I saw it looked like two eyes but I honestly thought it was just reflections off the snow, but I hit it with the spot light and I saw two pointy ears! Of course I had unloaded my gun. I grab a couple bullets load my gun and just as the cat starts to walk away I shoot. The lynx disappears "I missed" I thought, I move up shining the light and I see it sitting 5 feet from where I shot I pull up to shoot again and find out that my Breath is clouding the scope! I see the lynx disappear into the brush I crawl under the tree and see the blood spot. Knowing I hit it I start tracking, I'm now thrashing through the brush using my headlamp. I finally catch up to him and dispatch him. Anyways I'm off to a good start for the year.

just out of curiosity what do you do with the unprime fur?
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

congrats on the cat! definatly too early but hey they're good eating too! And brown kittys do make some nice ear muffs I reckon...to each their own.

What caliber where you using...how was the exit.

Dunno who the nut was who put his caller in the road, sat in his truck and watched me sight in a rifle with his fp wailing away but it was kind of hilarious! This place is getting crazy with callers lately!

I thought Lynx didnt open around Fairbanks until Dec.1st?

Thanks,

Under the trapping regs lynx open up on nov 1, yeah the fur is brown (I may just get it Tanned and hang it in my house) but I figure close to town it probably won't last so might as well go after them. I won't make any long trips until December.

I would hope that the guy was just testing out the fox pro. There is a learning curve with them for sure and better to find space away from the neighbors to try it out.

I don't plan on chasing fur for a bit but if I was out and had a cat come in I wouldn't pass on it!

Congratulations! Excellent way to start the season!

As for the fur, hanging a pelt in your living room for your own enjoyment is worth more than any money you might make from selling a prime fur. Good on you - enjoy that success. And as someone else mentioned, if you haven't saved the meat off of a lynx yet, do yourself a favor and try it next time. They're delicious!

maybe Lujon, but I seriously doubt it. He dove into the brush after I left. He sat and called in the right for the 45 mn I was shooting. Kind of an odd spot to call, plenty of traffic, a few people busting rounds, someone within 100 yards or so down range.

Hopefully you pulled the claws? If not do it before you send it off to get tanned! those babys are SHARP! You can save them or sell them.

you never mentioned anything about caliber or exits or distance? Or did I miss it?

Oh sorry I was using a .22lr and about 40-50 yards. I had an entry wound in the front shoulder and no exist hole. While I won't have any problem using the .22 in the future I feel a little under gunned.