Thread: 2 minutes in my head while goat hunting

Default 2 minutes in my head while goat hunting

Alders, alders, devils club,why is my pack getting heavyer, alders, don't fall ouch that hurt, my poor rifle, why does it always rain, is that a goat, nope, treeline has to be just up here, bad attitude, alders, devils club, is that a goat, nope, I feel defeated, why is there so much devils club, are there alders on the ridge top, is that possible, more alders, I didn't see this much alders in the pictures on the kuiu site, I hate goats, never doing this again, alders, devils club, why does it have to rain so hard, is that a goat, nope, I hate this devils club, alders. Giving it another shot next weekend! It is something that you love to hate but keep going back for more.

Beats giving the IGA six hundred bux for the same amount of meat though rite?

First Goat hunt. Katala. Midway between Cordova and Yakatak. Coming down the mountain almost dark. I was hanging on the devil's club with leather gloves I had my rifle sling on the pack extention. Every once in a while I would touch the butt stock to make sure the rifle was still there. then what a shock, the rifle was missing. Now it was dark. No flash light. Oh GOD please help me. I back trail about 200 yards and I find it. thank you LORD. I then carry it in my hands the rest of the way.

What is going on. I keep getting shut down and have to log in again. Maybe I double posted. Somehow the website is having trouble!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Alders, alders, devils club,why is my pack getting heavyer, alders, don't fall ouch that hurt, my poor rifle, why does it always rain, is that a goat, nope, treeline has to be just up here, bad attitude, alders, devils club, is that a goat, nope, I feel defeated, why is there so much devils club, are there alders on the ridge top, is that possible, more alders, I didn't see this much alders in the pictures on the kuiu site, I hate goats, never doing this again, alders, devils club, why does it have to rain so hard, is that a goat, nope, I hate this devils club, alders. Giving it another shot next weekend! It is something that you love to hate but keep going back for more.
    I think I have been there too.....

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    First Goat hunt. Katala. Midway between Cordova and Yakatak. Coming down the mountain almost dark. I was hanging on the devil's club with leather gloves I had my rifle sling on the pack extention. Every once in a while I would touch the butt stock to make sure the rifle was still there. then what a shock, the rifle was missing. Now it was dark. No flash light. Oh GOD please help me. I back trail about 200 yards and I find it. thank you LORD. I then carry it in my hands the rest of the way.
    Roland, my first goat hunt was near Katalla too. Except I was just a packer. A good friend of mine was the guide and the hunter was from Michigan. Had a black bear in camp the first night that didn't want to leave. Spent one whole day in the tent pinned down in sideways rain then killed a 9.5" billy on the third afternoon. To this day I believe it was the heaviest pack in my life hiking back to the beach. That trip was my first time hunting in Alaska, kind of a tough initiation..

If Devil's Club had a FaceBook page, I bet it would never have any friends. My favorite part is when the guy in front lets loose of the one he was hanging on and it springs back your way until "WHAP" it comes at you like a multi-fanged cobra, right in "the zone".
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Hahahahahaha this just made my day!!!
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

I remember my last goat hunt. 2.5 miles to the head of the valley, have some brush to beat through but should be there by 1 or 2 o'clock. 6:30 rolls around and we're setting up camp with probably 1/2 a mile still to go. We climbed up the hillside and found an opening to gaze out on a sea of solid alders. I've made some long packs and grueling climbs over the years but have never wanted to quit anything more in my life than that day in the devil's club and alders. If I ever had to describe to someone what I thought Hell might be like, that day may have been it. Glad we stuck it out, three days later we were packing out a goat and managed to stay high on the mountain long enough to get past the worst of the alders below.