Thread: Forbes Rifle Update

Default Forbes Rifle Update

The last thread got a little off track. It always happens and turns into some good reading. Here is a update on the rifle. I picked up a 30-06 and most who read the thread know. I went to the range this morning and was breaking in the barrel. I had 5 shots down the tube and after trying to put in the bolt the bolt catch wouldn't go up anymore and stop the bolt from coming out of the action. I also have noticed that if I put in the three rounds magazine and one in the chamber and cycle it fast that it will miss in the rim on the last shell and not eject the round. it leaves it in the chamber. So Monday I get to see how Forbes customer service is. On a good note with the cheapest winchester 180 rounds I could find I was shooting a 1 1/4" groups so it shows some promise with hand loads.

Well that's a bummer, I hope it doesn't take too long to get corrected.

I had a similar issue with a Remington 700, the not ejecting an unfired round part. What I discovered was that my factory loaded ammo was sized shorter than SAMMI specs and when cycled fast the round would go into the chamber until the shoulder stopped it and without firing it and forcing it into the bolt it would not eject. If I fired the rounds they ejected fine. Also when I resized my brass to match the chamber I did not have this issue either.

One of the many reasons I like Control Round Feed over Push to Feed.

If you reload and have the means messure your fires brass and compare it to the unfired. Mine was 15 thousandth shorter.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I didnt think to measure the brass so I got my hornady case measurer and A fired case was 4.042 and a unfired case was 4.034 for a difference of .008. I dont think that is the problem. I usually push my cases back .002, but .008 you would think would still eject the round.

I figured out what was wrong with the bolt stop. It looks like the spring is either short or wore out. The rifle is new so I'm thinking it came with a bad spring

Attachment 74856Attachment 74857

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I had a similar issue with a Remington 700, the not ejecting an unfired round part. What I discovered was that my factory loaded ammo was sized shorter than SAMMI specs and when cycled fast the round would go into the chamber until the shoulder stopped it and without firing it and forcing it into the bolt it would not eject. If I fired the rounds they ejected fine. Also when I resized my brass to match the chamber I did not have this issue either.

One of the many reasons I like Control Round Feed over Push to Feed.

If you reload and have the means messure your fires brass and compare it to the unfired. Mine was 15 thousandth shorter.
    noted! Im selling all my 700 and going to buy model 70's... Never owned one but will give the ol 70 a shot

New Haven stainless classic 5 digit short action fetherweight in a 308.
    LH model 70 in a 270 winchester (No it is not for sale)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I figured out what was wrong with the bolt stop. It looks like the spring is either short or wore out. The rifle is new so I'm thinking it came with a bad spring

Attachment 74856Attachment 74857
    I see no pictures? Anyhow if I paid 1000 plus dollars for a rifle and its having problem 5 rds into it I would be seeing red right now.

New Haven model 70 stainless featherweight in 325 wsm shoots like crap bad barrel sent it off to be rebored into a 338WSM
    Winchester Model 54 first year production 1925 in a 270 winchester all orginal no extra holes drilled in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

and yes I love my leupold scopes as well!

spring.jpgspring1.jpg

I can say that I'm to impressed. The true test will be what there customer service is like. I really the way that they rifle feels and the way it points and balances.

this will be interesting to me to as I was going to buy one of their rifle but it sounded like it would be a long time before they had a SS in the 30-06 out and I was think of ordering one of melvins custom rifles but when I talked to him he was not to sure when he would have it done because he was having trouble getting 30 cal barrels.
    So I went with a kimber montana and if its a shooter I will maybe use the extra money on something else if not I can put a new barrel on it and fix it up and still be ahead in total money spent.
    their are a lot of things I like about the kimber over having the push feed style gun