Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walk in moose hunt

Default Walk in moose hunt

We decided to hunt the controlled use area this fall and had an awesome hunt with a pretty grueling pack out. My brother and i both got off work on the 9th of september and decided not to wait for morning, we left the city and were at the trail head around 3 am and started hiking. We made it 8 miles back up the valley at about 8 am and set up our camp. After setting up camp we headed a couple miles further up the valley and got up on the ridge and started glassing. We had a great vantage point and glassed for a few hours and we didnt see any moose.

The next day we dropped down across the river and up on the other side of the valley a couple miles from camp and spotted a monster bull down below us about a mile but he was way down in a steep brush filled thicket where we new we couldnt pack him out so we decided not to attempt to go after him. We stayed where we were at and continued to glass til about noon when we spotted another bull about 5 miles away and back across the valley on the other side of camp. We decided we had just enough time to try to get over to him so we went for him! after about 6 hours we were on the ridge above him within 500 yards but the brush was so thick we couldnt see him. We decided to drop down in closer and try to get a look at him. We wound up in some of the worst alder thickets ive ever hiked through and we ended up jumping him out of his bed at about 100 yards. He stayed close though and grunted at least a dozen times and was thrashing the brush with his horns. We were calling back at him but right when we thought we might catch a glimpse of him we ran out of light and had to head back for camp.

Day three we headed back up the valley where we had been the night before and there was no sign of the moose. We hiked up the ridge about 2000 feet and had a really good vantage point and within a few minutes my brother spotted a really nice grizz on the ridge across from us on a moose kill. We both decided imediately that we had to go after him. We set across the brush filled valley and were on the ridge above the kill site about 2 hours later but the bear was nowhere to be seen. We stood there within 200 yards for about 10 minutes when suddenly the grizz stood up in the brush between us and the kill site. He was onto us and was trying to wind us, but we both already had the drop on him and fired at about the same time. The bear hit the ground but imediately got back up and tried to get back in the brush. We each fired a couple more rounds and finally the bear was dropped for good with a shot to the back of the head.

IMG_0093.jpgMe with my brothers 8.5' grizz

This was an awesome jet black grizz with blonde tips on the back, glad to have him out of our moose hunting area.
    We skinned the bear out and started heading for camp when the bull from the night before appeared right below us. He was about 700 yards away this time and the brush was so dense that there was no place to get a rest. I decided not to take an off hand shot at that distance plus we were running out of light so we decided to pass on him again. We guessed him to be about 56''.

Day 4 we dropped down across the river and headed up the ridge on the opposite side of camp. We continued up the valley and spotted another bull about a mile away on our side of the valley. About a half hour later we were right where he was but our bull had decided to drop down 500 yards and cross the creek bottom and was on his way up the other side. We quickly dropped down the bank after him and were in route to cut this bull off. The plan worked out perfectly and we came out directly in front of him at 200 yards. I shot him through the lungs with my 270 WSM and when he decided to run my bro followed it up with a shot through the front shoulders from his .300 and the bull just folded up. Our adrenaline was going on the way down before we had shot the moose and it only took us about 15 minutes to get down to the creek bottom and back up in front of the moose and we were thinking it wasnt gonna be a problem packing him back up out of there. We ended up packing moose til really late that night til we finally managed to get him out of that hole and back up to the trail. From the trail we still had 11 miles to go and in all it took us a toal of 4 days to pack them out to the highway.Definitely one of the most trying packs out,.. on the last day we had almost ran out of food and all we had to go off of was a mountain house meal that we had shared that morning, but it was all worth it to have a freezer full of moose.
    IMG_0099.jpg

Having met you I'm suprised you could not just throw him over your shoulder and carry him out whole congrats
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Awesome hunt glad all the hard work paid off.

Nothing more satisfying, than a successful, hard earned hunt with family. Sounds like the stuff stories will be made from to share around a campfire for years to come. Harvest a Bull, kill a predator in a hard to access area, that is good stewardship as well.

Well done!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I like the T shirt in the moose pic.....but isn't that kind of like wearing the t shirt of the same band at the concert?....."don't be that guy"...

Nice work.

You guys are studs to pack a moose a mile. To pack one 11 miles with a bear hide, ouch! Would you do it again?

Congrats on the hunt and the game. Good write up. I can't imagine the effort it took. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    You guys are studs to pack a moose a mile. To pack one 11 miles with a bear hide, ouch! Would you do it again?

Congrats on the hunt and the game. Good write up. I can't imagine the effort it took. }:>
    What he said, made my back hurt just reading about it.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Wow, that might be the farthest I've ever heard of someone packing a moose! Congrats to you and your brother!

Y'all definitely deserved that one! 11+ miles is no joke. Congrats!

Good job fellas! Wish I could have been there, or, NOT! Humping out a moose AND bear hide/skull for 11 miles may be some kind of record, sheesh. Enjoy the spoils

Thanks guys, this was definitely the furthest we have had to get one out. We have been hunting this way for over 10 years so we have a very good system for packing meat out long distance. We might pack one out that far again but it would have to be a last resort.
    .IMG_0106.jpgIMG_0107.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    but it was all worth it to have a freezer full of moose.
    A 4 day pack, at over 11 miles, and just the two of you.............I SURE HOPE SO...!!!......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Great write up! Thanks for sharing. Congrats on your nice bull & bear!
    "Grin and Bear It"

That's one way to hang meat great job, yer a coupla sourdoughs for sure
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Great job AP!..awesome moose and bear!!, well done!..yep, like the T shirt your are wearing--very fitting!!...big congrats!! larry

ps,,,just saw your packing out pics!...that would def make me hurt for the next month! ..nope, on sec thought, there is NO way I could have do that!!..you guys are tough!!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

How many trips did it take you guys? I'm trying to decide if you are incredibly tough or only marginally sane!! JK, congrats on the hunt and thanks for sharing...

Thanks guys, this was definitely the furthest we have had to get one out. We have been hunting this way for over 10 years so we have a very good system for packing meat out long distance. We might pack one out that far again but it would have to be a last resort.
    .IMG_0106.jpgIMG_0107.jpg
    Nice job! What brand pack frame did you use?

Congrats on the bull and bear! An 11mile pack - I always say, "ya got to want it!", but man, y'all want it more than most...me included.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    How many trips did it take you guys? I'm trying to decide if you are incredibly tough or only marginally sane!! JK, congrats on the hunt and thanks for sharing...
    It took 4 trips a piece to get him out to the trail bone in, after that 2 guys can get a moose out the trail in 2 trips.

I just use a basic Kelty frame when packing.

It took 4 trips a piece to get him out to the trail bone in, after that 2 guys can get a moose out the trail in 2 trips.

I just use a basic Kelty frame when packing.

Thanks for the info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast