Thread: Considering Kodiak - need some guidance

Default Considering Kodiak - need some guidance

Hello all! I am considering moving to Kodiak with my family. I have a job potential and would like to find out about the cost of living from the experts - locals.

Just a little background info - we have 5 children ranging from 23 down to 8. The 23 year old will be moving with us but hopefully can find her own place soon! The next one in line will be off at college. We will need a 4 bedroom home (or the teenagers will most likely kill each other). We do not have any bills except our current mortgage, which will be gone soon I hope.

Is a good paying job $75,000? $100,000? Here on the east coast things are much different. I know the cost of living is much higher, but that really doesn't mean much. For instance, here we have to pay a good bit for outdoor experiences (if you don't pass out from heat exhaustion), there you pretty much have nature at your fingertips. So here I would factor in entertainment, there the entertainment is all around...

Thanks for any and all help!

Affordable housing might be troublesome. 300-400K+ to buy and $2500-3500 to rent for at least 4-5 bedroom. Bills will be 25-50% higher than what most likely you have now. Getting off the island is $$$ 400-600 round trip for one person just to Anchorage to be able to go anywhere else. Sometimes planes don't fly for several days because of weather so you have to add extra data if if is really important.

River Fishing is fantastic if you learn where and when, proper techniques and learn the particular salmon run timing. Some scammers will tell you to buy some bogus books from authors that don't even live there. If you do move, ask locals and go to the rivers and watch a successful person for a while, you will learn more in 15 minutes for free that some printed garbage!

Ocean fishing is awesome if you know how and have the means to get out, not much shore ocean fishing that is productive.

Hunting is OK, have to work pretty hard to be successful, game is there. Mountains are brushy steep.

No real shopping so many ladies go stir crazy.

Seems like a lot of money from a salary but it won't go as far as you think with that many mouths to feed and shelter, but can be done.

I moved there sight unseen 10 years ago and have had some great times. Other times it sucks, island fever.

Lots of people have some sort of toy; boat, 4 wheeler or plane etc. I never did and managed to be successful recreating the outdoors. I used air charter services to get away from town sometimes.

Good luck and ask more specific questions and I or others will attempt to answer.

The housing and utility bills are definitely higher! Housing is the always the #1 expense and those prices are high (compared to here).

Funny you mentioned shopping - 4 of my children are girls. My poor son

I think we would need a boat. Problem is getting it and our stuff there. Which brings me to a another question. Do people ever take their own boats to Homer? How big of a boat would it take to do that trip?

Thanks again for the answers!

The size of boat for that trip depends on what your appetite for risk is and how good the weather is...a boat that makes that a reasonable consideration in good weather is going to set you back a huge chunk of money, like $60K or more...but that is based on the boat I would consider a minimum if I was doing that run...in good weather...
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

The ferry runs from Homer to Kodiak and it takes it 12 hours at 20-30 knots. It gets delayed at times because of waves and weather. Not a nice stretch of water to go boating in just because. Better off to put a car on the ferry with the family if your intention is to go to Homer or drive to Anchorage. There a few commercial boats that in between homer and Kodiak but doubt there are many personal craft just because.

Best way to get your stuff there is to get/rent a connex cargo container and pack it your self and have it shipped all the way to Kodiak via Seattle then barged up. Other option is buy a enclosed cargo trailer and pull it all the way here. You can sell the trailer in AK for more than you paid.

Thanks for the info guys!

We have looked at many options and I think the best way for us is buying an old U-Haul truck and driving it up. The hubby really wants to buy an old school bus and convert it to bring our household stuff and having more seats for the kids. My teenagers are a little against that idea

From the replies, looks like a boat will not be the best choice. I was just wondering if having your own boat to travel back and forth would lower the costs on getting to the mainland.

Travel around Alaska is expensive. But it is still cheaper via commercial operators than through buying your own equipment. Private planes and boats do not save money. Lots of people buy them...but if the primary purpose is to save money it will be a disappointment.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    Best way to get your stuff there is to get/rent a connex cargo container and pack it your self and have it shipped all the way to Kodiak via Seattle then barged up. Other option is buy a enclosed cargo trailer and pull it all the way here. You can sell the trailer in AK for more than you paid.
    Quick question.........why is it that there are no air charters (other than ERA) that I know of that fly from Kodiak to either Homer or Kenai? Are there any small mom-n-pop charter businesses down there that maybe we don't know about? I just don't understand why there isn't at least one charter/air taxi based out of Kenai, Homer, or Kodiak, that doesn't fly at least during hunting/fishing season? I can't help but think they might do well? But because there aren't any (again, that I know about) there must be other reasons that would explain this?

It seems that ERA and AK Airlines have cornered the market on this and I have to wonder why? For instance why do you think Andrews hasn't expanded to at least Homer?

Just curious if you have any ideas/thoughts about this...???

Thanks.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    Travel around Alaska is expensive. But it is still cheaper via commercial operators than through buying your own equipment. Private planes and boats do not save money. Lots of people buy them...but if the primary purpose is to save money it will be a disappointment.

Thanks for the info. I would still love to have a boat. Guess it will just be one that we can putt around in!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Quick question.........why is it that there are no air charters (other than ERA) that I know of that fly from Kodiak to either Homer or Kenai? Are there any small mom-n-pop charter businesses down there that maybe we don't know about? I just don't understand why there isn't at least one charter/air taxi based out of Kenai, Homer, or Kodiak, that doesn't fly at least during hunting/fishing season? I can't help but think they might do well? But because there aren't any (again, that I know about) there must be other reasons that would explain this?

It seems that ERA and AK Airlines have cornered the market on this and I have to wonder why? For instance why do you think Andrews hasn't expanded to at least Homer?

Just curious if you have any ideas/thoughts about this...???

Thanks.....
    Grants tried Homer to Kodiak a few years ago and Andrew Air turned them, not enough demand and it failed. Grants couldn't make it in Homer either. Servant air does charters to Homer once in a while for the Russians.

Grants tried Homer to Kodiak a few years ago and Andrew Air turned them,
    I don't understand what you mean by this........turned them?

Andrew provided the Ground crew basically: marshall in plane, unload/load passengers and baggage and fuel the plane. Just like Era aviation does for Alaska air in Kodiak.

Andrew provided the Ground crew basically: marshall in plane, unload/load passengers and baggage and fuel the plane. Just like Era aviation does for Alaska air in Kodiak.
    Gotcha....thanks.

I emailed Andrews just for grins and asked them this:

I have to ask......why haven't you folks expanded to at least Homer during hunting/fishing season? I just don't understand why ERA and AK Airlines have seemingly cornered the market on this flight? Thanks....

Here was my reply:

Hi Dave,

We do have a Saratoga on wheels that can come out to Homer and Kenai. The price for Homer is $874 and for Kenai is $1179.90. Also the Tustumena is running again. If you have any questions you can contact us (907)487-2566

Thank you and have a great day

Louisa

I can remember years ago that somebody, can't remember who, would give package "deer hunting deals" on flights and breaks on price for bringing back meat. People were all over it. It's hard to believe that this still wouldn't be profitable. If Grant tried it a few years ago and failed, I would think that people (hunters) just didn't know about it, or Grant didn't get the word out there very well.

Still I find it strange that Andrews wouldn't be all over this for deer/goat hunters. They could still charge what they do for their "packages" out to the hunt areas, but give a break on airfare from Homer/Kenai to Kodiak. But if they are gonna charge an arm and a leg just to get to Kodiak then I could understand why it WOULD fail.

Maybe I'll email them again......lol. I don't know if it's just me or what, but I find it pretty frustrating for me to have to fly to Anchorage first just to fly down to Kodiak when it's such a short distance from here. And who want's to sit on that dang ferry all friggin day......lol

Thanks for the info....