Thread: salmon cheeks

Default salmon cheeks

How do you eat them....or can them or smoke them or......

the local fish hatchery just donated a bunch of salmon to a local non profit that I volunteer at and they are just cutting the heads off!! So I took 200# of heads and cut the meat off and he cheek meat out and was wondering how to prepare the cheeks. Thanks Larry
    only 2 more years and I get to spend 3 months in the best place on earth.....ALASKA!

Like collars or not that much of the head?

You've got WAY more potential there than cheeks. Think stock, soup, poaching liquor....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    You've got WAY more potential there than cheeks. Think stock, soup, poaching liquor....
    Thats the spirit!

and pate, mousse, bisque.....

they are cutting off about a inch back of the front fins. a waste of meat for them but a ton of food for me! The collars and other "spoon"meat I took off and did taco meat and just cooked most up for my eggs and sandwiches. but the cheek meat was something that I have never done before. I have about 10lbs of cheeks soaking in a simple brown sugar teriyaki brine and will set them to smoke tomorrow
    only 2 more years and I get to spend 3 months in the best place on earth.....ALASKA!

Dang. That is a lot of food. Collars are yummy.

One mans trash.......

The collar is my favorite cut from any salmon.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I've always just used the entire head with the gills removed in a soup. This is off the top of my head:

Chop 1 onion, 2-3 stocks of celery and a couple a bell peppers, saute in olive oil and add 3-5 cloves of diced garlic when almost done and saute a few minutes. Add 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, 2-3 large diced potatoes, 2-3 salmon heads and enough water to cover. Add 1+t salt, 1/2T italian seasoning, 2-3 bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let cook ~30 minutes. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.

It's a good hearty soup and the cheeks are my favorite part.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I love fish cheeks. Salmon, halibut and cod all have a lot of meat there. Cut it out, peel the skin off, and fry just like you would the fillet. Rolled in flour or fish coating, then fried in hot butter is excellent. Use whatever seasonings you like; simple salt and pepper is just fine. Use rest of the head to make fish head soup or fish stock.