Thread: Your oil change time preference?

Default Your oil change time preference?

In non-filtered aircraft engines I personally like to change oil every 20 to 25 hours of flight time, not tach time and 35 hours for filtered engines. That is about when it seems to start breaking down and turning thin.

A lot of mechanics have told me I am going overboard.

So what time period do you like to use for filtered and non-filtered engines?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Every 25 hours tach time for my non-filtered O-320-A2B Super Cub engine. I check/clean the screen at that time also.

On non-filtered aircraft engines every 25 hrs off the tach. Makes it easy 00-25-50-75-100. Oil is clean in and clean out. Oil is cheap and the engine will last. Another important factor is preheat to 100 degrees IMHO.

My oil change practices match yours. Also agree with Jerbear, oil is the cheapest thing we buy for our planes. I don't understand the overboard part? are they suggesting it's detrimental to change too often?

If flown regularly, 25 tach for screen, 50 tach for filtered. If not flown regularly, change the oil sooner. Acids form from the combustion cycle which also hurt your engine. I normally change my oil this time a year just because I know the plane will not see a lot of run time during this season, while I wait for clearer skys and ski flying. I managed to squeeze 25 hrs out this time, but usually I average 15. This has been a very nice fall, so..

I had put a filter adapter on my last plane, but I didnt fly it enough to use up the 50 hrs. I was getting maybe 30 before I would change the oil, due to the time lapse. This plane, I left the screen. Little more work, but saving myself the cost of the filter.

Oil every 25 hours or 3 months, whichever comes first. Spin-on filter every other oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Oil every 25 hours or 3 months, whichever comes first. Spin-on filter every other oil change.

DITTO !!! Whether a Super Cub, the C-180, or any of my C-206s. Result: when change-out or overhaul time arrived, the engines consistently showed the same pressure differentials as when they were first started. It's worth the few bucks it costs . . . . .

Maybe it was just because everyone who mentioned it happened to see me changing oil whenever they came by. During the summer months I was often changing oil once a week. and pulling the screen every couple weeks.

Back when I was using Aero-Shell 15-50 I was blowing out or burning a quart every 8 hours. ( flight time not tach) and when I changed to Philips XC 20-50 I would go 14-16 hours before a quart was missing. The when I made it to 20 hours the oil would suddenly start to burn off faster. So I changed oil.

I always keep track of actual run time, ( little notebook in the plane and a pencil ) via my wrist watch, is that while teaching float flying I am often at low RPMs for much of the day, thus the mechanical tach reading is way off.

The C.A.P. came up with a oil change schedule a few years back based on calendar time and /or usage. So in some cases the planes had been sitting in a warm hangar with ZERO hours since the last oil change and the CAP would require that it be changed again. They were using the stuff that comes in the Gold Colored bottles EXXON ELITE.

I need to read up on Philips X/C to determine if it has the additive for the engine in my new Spam Can. I have a few one gallon jugs of it around here...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I usually change every 25 hours and check screen every 50. Not a hard and fast rule on the change time I have gone longer if I am out on a fly about but usually get it changed by 30 hours at most.
    DENNY