Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here shot the Ruger AMERICAN compact rifle?

Default Has anyone here shot the Ruger AMERICAN compact rifle?

Very curious to know how it kicks in either 7mm.08 or .308, or other issues.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    KICK????? The steen'keen barrel s only 18 inches long, and you're wondering about KICK??

That will be the least of your worries.

Think MUZZLE BLAST.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I was curious about that rifle in those calibers myself. I doubt recoil is much of a concern being that those cartridges inherently are fairly light recoiling anyhow. I think they would be better suited to a 20" tube though.

I have not put forth alot of effort yet, but it seems that a new 7mm-08 or .308 sporting a 20" barrel is something of an oddity these days unless one ponies up for a custom or" beyond my willingness to pay for" sort of rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    KICK????? The steen'keen barrel s only 18 inches long, and you're wondering about KICK??

That will be the least of your worries.

Think MUZZLE BLAST.

SOTN
    Smitty- I've got a Steyr in .308 with a 19" and it's no worse than any other 22-24" rifle I've got. I can't imagine the 18" would be that traumatic to shoot. The 7-08 and 308 just don't need that much barrel to burn all the powder.

I have shot carbines in long action cartridges and you're right-the blast can be substantial. A buddy lopped his Savage '06 to 16" and you could light a campfire with it and another's 20" .338WM with a brake was worse!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Smitty- I've got a Steyr in .308 with a 19" and it's no worse than any other 22-24" rifle I've got. I can't imagine the 18" would be that traumatic to shoot. The 7-08 and 308 just don't need that much barrel to burn all the powder.

I have shot carbines in long action cartridges and you're right-the blast can be substantial. A buddy lopped his Savage '06 to 16" and you could light a campfire with it and another's 20" .338WM with a brake was worse!
    The Mosin Nagant has a 29" barrel and quite the muzzle blast. I don't thing length of barrel always equals muzzle blast. A few variables there to consider.
    Anyway...
    I may be the first to review one of these on this forum, as apparently no one has shot one. It looks like a handy firearm without breaking the bank.

I may be the first to review one of these on this forum, as apparently no one has shot one. It looks like a handy firearm without breaking the bank.
    I'd say they are a pretty safe bet.

I was favorably impressed with the one I helped a friend and his son set up in .243- shot lights out with 100gr ammo. Seemed like a solid rifle for the cost. He managed a rifle, a Nikon 2-7x, rings and a couple boxes of ammo for $600. I'm thinking hard about a 22-250 for predators- I don't want to spend a lot on something I'm gonna Krylon white anyway.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

So am I right or wrong about this? Is it "substantial", or no "no worse"?

IME, Anything less than 20" gets multi-ply worse with each inch. More than 20" is better.

Short barrels look kool, but your ears will pay a price.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

The Mosin Nagant has a 29" barrel and quite the muzzle blast. I don't thing length of barrel always equals muzzle blast. A few variables there to consider.
    Anyway...
    I'm sure there are other factors that contribute to muzzle blast, however barrel length must rank pretty high on the list.

I wouldn't mind entertaining the "few varibles" of which you speak.

I suggest that if you find that 29" barrel, bothersome, an 18" barrel could be a real problem for you.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

So am I right or wrong about this? Is it "substantial", or no "no worse"?

IME, Anything less than 20" gets multi-ply worse with each inch. More than 20" is better.

Short barrels look kool, but your ears will pay a price.

SOTN
    The short action cartridges (less powder) tend to be more forgiving in a short barrel in terms of velocity loss and muzzle blast in my experience. My 19" barreled Steyr sees virtually no velocity loss over a 22" Remington and a 24" Kimber I used to own and the muzzle blast is pretty much equal and pretty minor as far as high powered rifles go.

In my limited experience with long action and magnum carbines (mo' powder) you see a lot of loss in a short tube and a ton of flash and blast. Combined with a brake the effect can be downright astounding.

I also think gunpowder type has a lot to do with it. It wouldn't surprise me if a Nagant shooting an old Soviet formulation of surplus sulphur and charcoal might very well have tremendous blast- even out of a very long barrel. Some way old Norinco .223 I once had looked like a strobe light going off in low light and had an insane amount of blast compared to quality US spec ammo.

Its all anecdotal but I think a big factor about muzzle blast is how much powder burns after it exits the muzzle and short barrels seem to favor the smaller and more efficient cartridges.

I'm sure there are other factors that contribute to muzzle blast, however barrel length must rank pretty high on the list.

I wouldn't mind entertaining the "few varibles" of which you speak.

I suggest that if you find that 29" barrel, bothersome, an 18" barrel could be a real problem for you.

SOTN
    Who said bothersome? I think the muzzle blast on a MN is kooool! But I never brought up muzzle blast; you did. I was concerned about recoil.
    Variables? I suspect cartridge type, but I don't know. Never said I knew, just thought there would be. Besides, I might appear too eloquent if I waxed at length w/o knowing.

Who said bothersome? I think the muzzle blast on a MN is kooool! But I never brought up muzzle blast; you did. I was concerned about recoil.
    Variables? I suspect cartridge type, but I don't know. Never said I knew, just thought there would be. Besides, I might appear too eloquent if I waxed at length w/o knowing.
    You said, " The Mosin Nagant has a 29" barrel and quite the muzzle blast." I thought that meant, you didn't like it.

I think that a cartridge like a 30-30, for example, wouldn't produce nearly the same MB that a 308, for example.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

The short action cartridges (less powder) tend to be more forgiving in a short barrel in terms of velocity loss and muzzle blast in my experience. My 19" barreled Steyr sees virtually no velocity loss over a 22" Remington and a 24" Kimber I used to own and the muzzle blast is pretty much equal and pretty minor as far as high powered rifles go.

In my limited experience with long action and magnum carbines (mo' powder) you see a lot of loss in a short tube and a ton of flash and blast. Combined with a brake the effect can be downright astounding.

I also think gunpowder type has a lot to do with it. It wouldn't surprise me if a Nagant shooting an old Soviet formulation of surplus sulphur and charcoal might very well have tremendous blast- even out of a very long barrel. Some way old Norinco .223 I once had looked like a strobe light going off in low light and had an insane amount of blast compared to quality US spec ammo.

Its all anecdotal but I think a big factor about muzzle blast is how much powder burns after it exits the muzzle and short barrels seem to favor the smaller and more efficient cartridges.
    My thinking is that a very short barrel will always produce more MB than a longer one. But, you could be on the right track. Differences in componets, etc.

I bet an 18" barrel 308 , 7mm-08, or 243 would be wayyy more unpleasent than 22".

IMO, it's not just the noise level in dbs, but frequency too that hurts my ears.

SOTN

I wouldn't wanna do any testing at the expense of my ears, so I'm stuck with my opinion.
    You can't out-give God.

Any rifle in 308 shooting the same load will have the same muzzle blast be it a twelve inch barrel or twenty four inch barrel, How you perceive it may differ but the ejecta will be the same.

At one time I owned a M-77 RSI in 308 and it was a joy to shoot and hunt with. Two inches less barrel may have made it even better. Shot mostly 220/200 gr bullets of of it,very accurate.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Any rifle in 308 shooting the same load will have the same muzzle blast be it a twelve inch barrel or twenty four inch barrel, How you perceive it may differ but the ejecta will be the same.
    I "perceive" it with my ears.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

As Amigo mentioned above, shooting say a 308 in a short barrel has little effect on the issue of muzzle blast.

Back in the IHMSA early days, 308s in converted XPs were very popular in the unlimited category.A definite handful but still controllable even with a 15" barrel and total weight of around 4.5lbs...shooting them one handed in the Creedmore position.Still, the muzzle blast effect never deterred knowedgeable IHMSA shooters from shooting perfect scores on the course.

I also once had a 600 Rem 308...if there was a noticeable difference in muzzle blast between the 600 with an 18.5" barrel and my M14 NM competition rifle with a 24" barrel, I couldn't detect it.

I've fired close to 100,000 rounds of big bore ammo and my hearing is still way above average for a 68 year old.But I've been pretty scrupulous by using the best hearing protection I could afford.

Once anyone fires a firearm with DB levels above 120, it will sound LOUD.Even 22 LRs can degrade hearing if the shooter has no hearing protection and fires thousands of rounds per year.

Bottom line: use double hearing protection when testing and practicing...and accept the few rounds per year hunting from single projectile firearms as the "cost of doing business".

Even from my "braked" 375H&H...or having 81 grains of R25 exit the barrel of my 7STW...I am aware something has happened when I fire at an animal.But with the adreniline rush of shooting game, I never "feel" recoil or find the sound offensive.My mind focuses on the animal and the result/reaction.

BTW, if you want some SERIOUS muzzle blast, stand close to a 155MM" cannon" on a tank when the loader yells "On the way".

Makes any hunting rifle sound like a sub sonic load.

Please post your review here or pm me your .02.
    Thinking of buying one for my son. Not a big fan of a plastic rotary magazine but hey......$350.......

If'n I can find one! I've only seen the full size models around here. If I score one I will let you know.
    I hated the rotary mag at first, but I have come to appreciate it more, and they are pretty cheap for replacements or extras.

7STW:

Your post is amazing to me.

In the early 60s I owned 2 rifles. One was a Rem. 700 - 280 Rem with 20" barrel. The other a Rem 600 - 6mm Rem.

I fired them both, at times, without hearing protection. (That was foolish of me, I know' now. But it was pretty much common practice back then.)

The 280 was acceptable to me. However, the blast from the 18.5" barrel of the 6mm Rem. was nearly unbearable. I sold the gun for that reason.

Very soon Rem. Redesigned the 600 into the 660, that had a longer barrel. (The reason is obvious. To Me.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_660

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Sayak:

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I mean you no disrespect. I'm just trying to help by making you aware of something I found to be an important consideration.

Especially, if a young person or a spouse is to shoot such a gun.

I know that very short barreled rifles are attractive. Hey, I bought the 600.

I'm sorry if I come accross like an AH, but I feel very strongly about this. Honestly, I feel it is irresponsible of Ruger to offer these short barrels. The shorter LOP on the compact is to encourage us to buy them for KIDS.

They know they will sell, and they are only interested in their bottom line.

I've got myself so worked up now, that I Regret buying the Mk III Hunter pistol from Ruger.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Well Smitty, no sweat!
    The boy is used to shooting a short barreled Swede sporter and has done well with it, but it has feeding issues. If it turns out that the compact is loud and a kicker, I will keep it for myself as a boat and truck gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast