Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who shoots a Ruger Compact Rifle?

Default Who shoots a Ruger Compact Rifle?

I have been dying to buy a Ruger Compact Stainless rifle in .308 or .243

Who has one, or can comment on them?

Sobie2

I'm intrigued by the compact also. I have the full size .308; a decent rifle for the price, but not a great rifle. I'm betting the compact will be a better shooter with a less whippy barrel. I'm thinking of getting the compact in 7mm.08 for my youngest son, so I am interested in peoples' impression of it as well.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

Are you talking about the M77 Compact or the American Compact?

I've messed with both and like them a lot.

Recently set up a .243 American-C for a friend's son- shot bugholes with plain Federal "Blue Box" 100gr ammo. No need to experiment further- he went out a few weeks later and wrecked a caribou with it. Good deal.

I personally like the M77 Compact in laminate and stainless. I've played with another friend's rifle off and on- he loves it. It would shoot better if I could get used to the stock but at 5'11", I'm not exactly the target market they were thinking of- it's doable but another inch on the butt would help it for me. He's a small guy and it shoots lights out.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have the compact in 308. This is the 16 1/2 inch barrel. It is short but with lots of winter gear on it not to bad. I hav shot handloads from 110 to 180. Jacketed reloads all shot very very well. I have tried various cast loads and just can't make them work. I have not shot any factory loads. I wanted for easy use and carry on 4x and snowmachine. I'm happy with mine.

I am talking about the M77

Sobie2

I have a SS/Syn Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 338 RCM. The 20" barrel with iron sights makes for an effecient/compact package. With power in the 338 Win Mag range and a 6 3/4 lb rifle (w/scope) it makes for a bumpy ride after 3-4 rounds; But seldom would 4 rounds of 225 grn/ 338 be required in normal use. OFF the bench with a 2-7 Leupold scope it'll shoot 5 rounds into 3/4". After an upcoming hunt on Montague Island I plan to send it to Mag-Na-Port to tame it's rough behavior. I realize this may not be the exact rifle nor caliber you seek, but it does speak well of Rugers recent improvements in quality and workmanship.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I am talking about the M77

Sobie2
    Sorry Sobie. Should known.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

Supporting Member

Default .338 rcm, ammo and rifle availability and price?

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I have a SS/Syn Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 338 RCM. The 20" barrel with iron sights makes for an effecient/compact package. With power in the 338 Win Mag range and a 6 3/4 lb rifle (w/scope) it makes for a bumpy ride after 3-4 rounds; But seldom would 4 rounds of 225 grn/ 338 be required in normal use. OFF the bench with a 2-7 Leupold scope it'll shoot 5 rounds into 3/4". After an upcoming hunt on Montague Island I plan to send it to Mag-Na-Port to tame it's rough behavior. I realize this may not be the exact rifle nor caliber you seek, but it does speak well of Rugers recent improvements in quality and workmanship.
    I too have this exact same rifle. I love it. I don't find its behavior to be rough. Its kick is about medium, as rifles go; nothing to flinch about...

One downside is that Hornaday was the only mfg of the ammo and now they've made the announcement that they have discontinued making it.

brav01, do you have ammo for yours? I did get some amount of ammo put away between the time they announced its discontinued status and the time that Valley stores ran out of that ammo. So I'm not too concerned about ammo since after I shoot mine up the brass can be reloaded.

I'd never sell mine, but I wonder about its value. I'm told at some point this rifle will go up in value as a collectible. I'm betting that some time before that the value might take a large dip, due to zero ammo available for sale for it (as of now, I believe - correct me if I'm wrong). Anyone have any thoughts on that?

The reason I ask is that I have one M77 Syn/Stainless rifle and two sons that want to get it from me someday. So I'm thinking of possibly buying one more rifle of this type. I'm not in much of a hurry though; neither son would need it for the next two years anyway, so I'm biding my time hoping the street price falls.
    I Love DEADLINES. I especially love the WHOOSHING sound they make as they go flying by.

I've got a M77 compact laminate, topped with a Leo 2-7x33 scope. Awesome rifle. Very accurate, smooth action, slick feed.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I have been dying to buy a Ruger Compact Stainless rifle in .308 or .243

Who has one, or can comment on them?

Sobie2
    I had one in 260 remignton. It bruised me pretty badly. The muzzle blast was intense, and the velocity loss was substantial. I eventually found the 20" barrel to be the best compromise with 308 sized cases.

matnaggewinu

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I too have this exact same rifle. I love it. I don't find its behavior to be rough. Its kick is about medium, as rifles go; nothing to flinch about...

One downside is that Hornaday was the only mfg of the ammo and now they've made the announcement that they have discontinued making it.

brav01, do you have ammo for yours? I did get some amount of ammo put away between the time they announced its discontinued status and the time that Valley stores ran out of that ammo. So I'm not too concerned about ammo since after I shoot mine up the brass can be reloaded.

I'd never sell mine, but I wonder about its value. I'm told at some point this rifle will go up in value as a collectible. I'm betting that some time before that the value might take a large dip, due to zero ammo available for sale for it (as of now, I believe - correct me if I'm wrong). Anyone have any thoughts on that?

The reason I ask is that I have one M77 Syn/Stainless rifle and two sons that want to get it from me someday. So I'm thinking of possibly buying one more rifle of this type. I'm not in much of a hurry though; neither son would need it for the next two years anyway, so I'm biding my time hoping the street price falls.

I still have about 80 rounds of factory 225 SST ammo and another box of empties. AMMO is still available in some places and plan to buy 2 or 3 more boxes as well . While reloading is a viable ammo source the results don't equal factory velocities by about a 100-150 fps. The 338 RCM was made in the Ruger #1 as well, not sure if they built it in any other models though. Both the 300 RCM and 338 RCM are calibers that lived up to their advertised velocities (even in a carbine) but because the round was named RUGER it wasn't going to be well recieved by the firearm manufacturers and chambered in any other brand of rifle. Though it's a quality round in an excellent carbine rifle, "it was born dieing". Not sure it'll ever be a collectors item, but it will make a good rifle to ride off into the sunset strapped across the handlebars of my 4 wheeler.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Supporting Member

Good info brav01. I also feel that its a way fine round and gun. Though its mfg. has deserted it, I will not. I have a few more rounds put away than you. If you know where some is still available you probably want to go pick it up asap. I haven't hunted down every box of .338 RCM on the shelves; I bought enough to feel comfortable and now I do indeed feel comfy.

I wonder about what you said about reloads not matching up to the performance of factory rounds. I've been under the impression that once I get to reloading my brass I'll have lots of options available to adjust and get it just right. Including the possibility of bumping that 225gr number up to 250.
    I Love DEADLINES. I especially love the WHOOSHING sound they make as they go flying by.

Good info brav01. I also feel that its a way fine round and gun. Though its mfg. has deserted it, I will not. I have a few more rounds put away than you. If you know where some is still available you probably want to go pick it up asap. I haven't hunted down every box of .338 RCM on the shelves; I bought enough to feel comfortable and now I do indeed feel comfy.

I wonder about what you said about reloads not matching up to the performance of factory rounds. I've been under the impression that once I get to reloading my brass I'll have lots of options available to adjust and get it just right. Including the possibility of bumping that 225gr number up to 250.
    Reloading components and dies are available for the 338 RCM and there is a wide variety of 338 caliber bullets to choose from. My understanding is that the powders available over the counter aren't equal to the proprietary one that was used to load the RCM cartridges by Hornaday. The 250 grn bullet can be loaded in the 338 RCM it may however be forced to be seated deeper in the case (depending on Manufacturer) and reduce the case capacity/velocity due to the short action length.

I reload for the 338 RCM. I have been able to match the factory velocity with my reloads with a couple of powders.
    I bought a pile of brass when I bought mine, so I'm set for life.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    I reload for the 338 RCM. I have been able to match the factory velocity with my reloads with a couple of powders.
    I am thinking that there are a few on this forum who would appreciate you sharing your load data in the Reloading Forum, if you do not mind?
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein

I was on Ruger's webpage yesterday and it says all of the compacts are out-of-stock. "0"
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I was on Ruger's webpage yesterday and it says all of the compacts are out-of-stock. "0"
    Here's one currently available at a very reasonable price; currently....! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=373088179

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I am thinking that there are a few on this forum who would appreciate you sharing your load data in the Reloading Forum, if you do not mind?
    I'll have to gather that loading info up...........I have it on an excel sheet, doesn't copy and past very well........
    "The older I get, the better I was."

012.jpgI absolutely love mine, a .308 ruger mkii m77, 16.5" stainless barrel, laminate stock, topped with a vx-3 leupold; it carries so easily and can be held in the hand which seems like all day. Very accurate.. I've found that most hunting pards would rather them use mine then theirs since it's more compact and easier in the hand to carry.
    Last edited by Rufus; 11-02-2013 at 10:53. Reason: trying to add a photo

Supporting Member

Default RCM guys

And here I was thinking I was just about alone in my RCM-liking. Good to know there are others out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    travelers, I'd love to hear both what worked and what didn't, I haven't jumped into the RCM reloading biz yet. Of course I save every brass, towards that day.

I also find it interesting that you too feel the need to be comfortable with an amount of brass that can let you feel comfy about the future (of unavailability). I probably took that a bit overboard, in that I have two sons that "should" both get my rifle someday, so my current plan is to divvy up my ammo/brass someday into two piles and give it to both of them. Of course that requires me buying another rifle, but I'm hopeful the lack of ammo will make that very reasonable to do, cost wise.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Here's one currently available at a very reasonable price; currently....! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=373088179
    If I'm reading that right, in 2 minutes my rifle will sell for 500 clams. That's a great value I think. I had not started looking for the second rifle yet; I thought it would be too soon after the ammo discontinuation; maybe not eh?

Thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast