Thread: Mangey Mutts

Default Mangey Mutts

So my beagle has this problem. A few years ago I came home with a fox and a few weeks later my wife and I started to notice that my beagle picked up some type of skin rash. After doing a little research, we concluded that she must have picked up mange from that fox that I shot. Ever since then, we have been fighting these little nasties and for some reason it keeps coming back. We will go through and clean out her bedding area thoroughly and bath her. The rash will go away for awhile and then it will come back. I'm not sure if it is coincidence, but my wife thinks that every time I take her out hunting it seems to get worse again. Anybody ever dealt with these little buggers? Do you know of any way to get rid of them for good?

I would ask the vet, I shot a yote with real bad mange and I didn't even touch it, I added it to the bait pile.

While i have never had a dog get mange, i have shot a ton of coyotes with it back home. Mange seemed to go in cycle's in our predator population at home. some years it was horrible with 3 out of 5 coyotes having it to some degree, and some years we hardly saw any. if memory serves me right i believe it's caused by some form of parasite that gets under their skin the most noticeable sign of it is hair loss. i have shot coyotes that had it so bad back home while looking through a scope at them their skin looked blue and you could see the bleeding sores caused by it. Always thought we were doing those poor guys a favor ending it quickly for them. I'm sure a vet could give you something for it that would kill the parasite that causes it.
    Chances are it some form of allergy though, if it was mange the poor guy probly wouldn't have made it this long as it can be very serious.
    Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Ok how is the dog doing??

We tried a different route. My wife read about this homemade remedy using warm water, borax, and peroxide baths every other day for six weeks. I have to give my wife the credit, she has been very diligent with this routine and it seems to be paying off so far. On another note, I went to the dump with my daughter today and every time we go to the dump we make a stop at the dog pound. While we were there, we found this pure bred male tri-colored beagle. Well to make a long story short, we adopted him today. I originally picked him up thinking of a buddy of mine who lost his beagle earlier this year. I figured I would pick him up for him. When I got home and called my friend, my friend told me that he just recently bought another beagle somewhere else. So, my daughter just fell in love with him and so did my wife and boys so now I got another hunting dog. He's got a real good temperament. I'm not sure if he'll hunt. The papers said he was mostly an inside dog, but my other beagle is a hunting fanatic and maybe she'll rub off on him. Apparently the previous owner went through a divorce recently and for whatever reason, I guess they couldn't take care of the poor fella. I kinda have a soft spot for beagles.