Thread: Hate a dead rcbs chargemaster

Default Hate a dead rcbs chargemaster

I thought the RCBS Chargemaster 1500(e-scale and powder measure combo) was great until the thing died after the warranty expired. RCBS wants to replace the junker with another one for 200 bucks. I read a lot of reviews and the RCBS also has it's share of problems with powder melting the plastic if not cleaned daily along with the above pre-mature death. The other major brands have all sorts of poor reliability/failure issues as well.

Give me some thoughts on the options:
    1) Going back to a manual powder measure, such as a Redding that has great reviews for accuracy and proven reliability or... I used one for more than 20 years and it never, ever, wimpered.
    2) Sucking it up with the same replacement RCBS junk and expect it to die in a year, and tell myself it was money well spent by this dumbarse!

I admit to be old enough to expect certain well cared for things to last unless I purposely abuse them and electronics are hard to love sometimes for this reason.

Thanks.

I have used mine for years and if it took a dump tomorrow I would buy another. I really started to enjoy reloading more once I got it and would replace it before I went back to manual.

I found that a surge protector made mine more stable. Fairbanks has a lot of brown outs they are hell on electrics, fried several computer video cards and hard drives before I figured that out, plus about 4 cable boxes.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Well Iíll be watching close here because Iím looking for one too. I was about to order the RCBS about 6 months go back but declined after a price search produced more rants from owners of dead units than prices. Spooked me, sounds to me like they got a bad batch of boards from China and finding nothing any better Iím observing the situation for a bit before I shell out.

I like RCBS bur something bad is up with these units or at least a batch of them! Reminds me of the junk cam position sensors on Ford 7.3 Powerstrokes, I fought with them dang things for years on 2 trucks before they made some good ones that keep working.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The one I had prior (RCBS) with separate dispenser and scale served me faithfully for almost 10 years before irt went to the happy hunting grounds. My current chargemaster 1500 is maybe 2 to 3 years old and continues to perform as advertised. I have been and am happy with it so am really spoiled. No doubt I would complain all the way to SW to purchase another should it suffer a premature death. I could prob find one cheaper on line but would suffer terrible withdrawal symptoms having to wait while SW (if they have them in stock) would produce instant gratification as now I feel I can't live without it. I have been using one form or another of "automatic" powder dispenser for 20+ years. I guess they got me where they want me?
    .... $200 sounds to me like a pretty good price - might want to take them up on it before they change their minds. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I've only had mine for a couple months, but I really like it so far.

FWIW, Midwest shooters supply has them on sale online right now for about $290. I think i paid 260 for mine there on a sale. The hornady one is currently $159.

I bought one of those 30$ Frankfort Arsenal mini scales and I didn't trust it because it was so cheap. Everything measured on the RCBS so far has been dead nuts on the FA scale. I am impressed, it is a great scale for sorting brass or bullets, and weighing charges too. But I just like the speed and flow of loading with the auto dispenser...

I have been wanting an eletronic powder measure/dispenser for a while now but a lot of failures of the touch screen have me scared of the RCBS. The price is a little steep as well. I read about the new Lyman Gen 6 and as it's only $219 I went for it. I have only had it for 2 or 3 months but so far I like it. The screen is smaller than the others so it's easier to fat finger it but that's the only complaint so far.

I have had my RCBS for several years with no issues. Like Stid said, it brings more joy to reloading. I would replace it in a heart beat if needed.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Thanks for the input guys. I won't do anything until I settle down a bit.
    Stid the unit was always stored unplugged after each use and surge protected during use so there was no surge issues. I liked the unit until I hated it.
    AD I had the same 99' Powerstroke issue.
    For anyone interested, read the reviews of the various brands on MidwayUSA.com...all over the place! RCBS was first, Lyman second, and Hornaday had a strong last place in the reviews I read.
    How many still like the good old manual(slow but reliable) powder measures?
    I appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    I resemble that remark.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I won't do anything until I settle down a bit.
    Stid the unit was always stored unplugged after each use and surge protected during use so there was no surge issues. I liked the unit until I hated it.
    AD I had the same 99' Powerstroke issue.
    For anyone interested, read the reviews of the various brands on MidwayUSA.com...all over the place! RCBS was first, Lyman second, and Hornaday had a strong last place in the reviews I read.
    I appreciate the feedback.
    When it comes to reloading pistol....I would not trade my manual measure for anything, Its 3 times as fast as my charge-master for that particular purpose IMHO.
    However, for safety reasons as well as expediency, I usually label and dedicate a manual throw to a specific powder, and due to this, these get costly as well.

The charge-master really shines with small to medium rifle loads....5.56 , 30-30, 308 win EXCT.... it's also a big help with the Magnums as well, Only a bit slower to dispense.. And like any powder throw its not as fond of the stick powders I use for Magnums and i wind up touching the charge up with a trickler or spoon regardless.

Ive always liked to own my own tools... The electronic dispencers do have their place. If mine broke I would almost certainly buy another one, and with that being said for all their problems...... RCBS is still the best on the market IMO.

If your looking for speed.. no electronic dispenser will compete with a good old fashioned throw and a skilled operator. I'd say you need to decide which is more beneficial for your current circumstances...200.00 or a new dispenser.

I always wanted one but as most of my reloading was for competition or hunting I never bothered and have styed with a manual scale. Now for the 7.3, my first one went out while I was driving down the road and it was just after the 36K warranty so it cost me $100 to have Ford replace it but I was reimbursed a few years later when the recall happened.
    I have replaced one other since then and keep a spare in the glove box. The truck is almost 14 years old and at 258K has needed very little in repairs. At least the current CPS versions are a lot cheaper then the original ones.

I agree with AlaskanTide, you need a powder throw for pistol. I use the chargemaster for everything from .223 up to 300 WBY.

I still have the scale and have used it on occasion but find the chargemaster does what I need it to do.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity