Thread: DS 384 HIGHEST Sheep harvests Statewide 2008-2012 disappeared?????

Angry DS 384 HIGHEST Sheep harvests Statewide 2008-2012 disappeared?????

Does anyone that lives in Unit 26 know what happened to the DS 384 Drawing and why it is not available? Is the RS 388 depleting the sheep population? Did Fish and Game really have "white money" to determine the sheep numbers are low or is something NOT BIOLOGICALLY driven?Below are the # of hunters, number harvested and % from 2008 till 2012...impressive, BUT GONE NOW?????11/10=91% 9/6=67% 8/6=75% 4/3=75% 6/3=50% Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator13 View Post
    Does anyone that lives in Unit 26 know what happened to the DS 384 Drawing and why it is not available? Is the RS 388 depleting the sheep population? Did Fish and Game really have "white money" to determine the sheep numbers are low or is something NOT BIOLOGICALLY driven?Below are the # of hunters, number harvested and % from 2008 till 2012...impressive, BUT GONE NOW?????11/10=91% 9/6=67% 8/6=75% 4/3=75% 6/3=50% Brett
    It is in the current draw supplement, says up to 11 tags. Last option on the page.

If they have pulled it, conflict with subsistence hunters would be my guess and that is purely speculation.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I don't see it in my draw supplement the last one listed is DS206.

I made a mistake and was looking at last year.

Maybe it is going change over to General Harvest?

But as the harvest % has been dropping every year, they may also be giving the area a break for a while.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

My son and I hunted it this year and did not see a shootable ram. We ran into 2 guys at the airport with the same tag and they saw one ram that might have been full curl but did not get anything either.

The unit 23/26 Brooks Range is one of the few areas in the state where sheep are managed as a subsistence species. There is an AMOUNT NECESSARY FOR SUBSISTENCE number that takes precedence. There has to be harvestable numbers of sheep ABOVE that number to have a sport season. I suspect the sheep pop took a little dive and there is not enough for hunting beyond subsistence.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

So was there "white money" for Fish ang Game to fly surveys in that DS 384 area? Or is that area all Federal Land? Seems that the Feds have sheep survey money (Hence our deficit!) and fly sheep surveys much more than the state.

Anyone know any of this? I thought maybe an AC member from up there would respond...please.

Brett

No answer at Barrow Fish and Game this morning.

I had this tag in 2010. We saw a couple hundred sheep, about 45 rams, but only 3 for sure legal rams on day 10. A couple others seen earlier in the hunt may have been legal by age. Really neat country and glad that I got to hunt and experience it, hope others do as well.

I believe the feds set the harvest quota as the sheep in this hunt area are in the Preserve. The F&G just gets to manage the hunt. I heard the numbers have dropped off in the last few years.

Sad that it went away, but as I understand the winter kill can be brutal, and the sheep population is very volatile. I don't believe an in depth survey has been done on the sheep population in years. When I talked to the local bio he wasn't much help other than generalization...

No answer at Barrow Fish and Game this morning.
    Try Kotz. I believe the sheep are managed out of that office.

I made a call. Some serious sheep people said that for whatever reason (late spring, predation) they saw VERY FEW sheep. Seems like a smart step to shut it down if that's the case.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Thank you Alaskan22.

Brett

I cant speak for he entire brooks range but I have a friend that has had his choice of several beautiful rams for the past few years in the area he hunts seeing 10+ legals and some of them real bruisers. This year they shot a good double broomed 38" ram and another full curl. That was all they saw for legal rams. No lambs at all. They found a dead 39" double broomer. Proof positive that the late "spring" up there was hard on them. They got slaughtered, easy pickings for predation and starvation. It's tough. That's my guess as to why that hunt is not offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Seems like a smart step to shut it down if that's the case.
    Likely the only hunt "shut down" is the draw. Any Alaskan res can hunt up there, just can't fly in. Registration hunt, long season. Many taken by hunters on snogos. Season open till April 30.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    They found a dead 39" double broomer.
    Wow what a find...!!! Would have liked to have seen the mass on that sucker...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

the sheep pop has gone way down up here the last couple years. a few years ago i was seeing a fair amount on my snowmachine to only seeing a few in areas that were previously pretty well populated. my friend and i flew a pretty large area up here in the fall and didnt see very many at all. as was said the susistience hunt might take some priority but thats not necessarily the area some of us ride to. the sheep up here i think had it rough with some icing and wolves a couple years ago i found a handful of dead sheep just in a small area. i fell pretty lucky that i've been able to harvest sheep up here the last couple years but they really should shut the season down for every type of hunting. its not overharvest by registration/subsistience hunters because many years the quota doesn't even get filled basically due to the difficulty of driving a snowmachine to sheep country in 30 below weather and spotting sheep in the snow is no picnic i can tell you. my hunt 2 years ago involved well over 300 miles round trip and 4 days i think.