Thread: Please Cleanup The Marsh

Default Please Cleanup The Marsh

I'm disappointed sometimes with the few slob shooters (I won't call them hunters) that leave all kinds of trash behind. They give the rest of us a terrible image with the general public. I usually try to pick up the empty beer cans I find in the marsh (does an empty, smashed can really weigh that much or take up that much space in your pocket?) and whatever else I can reasonably carry out with me. I think it was last year that some dumb arses thought it would be a good idea to build a blind with heavy mil plastic. It was an eyesore while hunting, visible from the highway, and did not last long during the first windstorm it encountered. Here's a big helpful hint. Use all natural material whenever possible!

My curiosity finally got the best of me last week and I hiked down to check it out. I will not mess with someone else's blind but this had not been used since soon after it was built and needed to go. I doubt someone on here built it. However, if you did, or know who did, shame on you or them for leaving a huge mess in the marsh. Its things like this that gets the authorities to finally give up and burn or tear down all blinds. I balled up the plastic and left it for my next trip when I could bring my sled and bit more energy for the long slog back to the truck with someone else's crap in tow.

Today was a struggle with the extra water in the marsh but I managed to drag it all the way back to my truck. It was a major PITA but I felt good for doing it. The marsh looks better without it.

It only takes a little effort on all of our parts to be good stewards of the resources we enjoy so much. I wonder how much the half dozen empty beer kegs that were used for some type of blind flotation and are now sitting on the ACWR are worth at the recycler?

Yes, please clean up after yourself...no matter where you are! Hats off to you Birdstrike, I'm sure you made the area look much better by removing that eyesore.
    "Grin and Bear It"

[QUOTE=Birdstrike;1339232
    It only takes a little effort on all of our parts to be good stewards of the resources we enjoy so much. I wonder how much the half dozen empty beer kegs that were used for some type of blind flotation and are now sitting on the ACWR are worth at the recycler?[/QUOTE]

I think those kegs are from the big dock that floated up on the ACWR. There are still some bolted to the underside of it. It must have been a biiig storm and a high tide that washed it up to where it sits.

Great job cleaning up other peoples crap. Thanks!! BTW It's wasn't my mess u cleaned up!!

I was thinking about turning those kegs into some sweet swivel chairs. A little camo paint.....

good on you birdstrike. may your decoy spread be full of mallards in the am.

[Yes, thank you. One reason I like duck hunting is just to be out there in the marsh. It is so beautiful and so few people actually get to experience it the way we do. My brother taught me well. After our first duck hunt I watched as he went around picking up the empty shotgun shells around the blind. I do that now too. I try to leave the place as I found it.

B.S. send me a pm& I will go out to the ACWR & drag what I can out via sled this weekend.

Good on you!

I do the same thing down here. This was a blind from several weeks ago that was full of trash and hundreds of hulls. It was pretty clear to me that it was frequented by kids. It was full of Gatorade bottles, chip bags, cheap decoys, a cot, and shell boxes. They'd grab some grub, a box of shells and shoot at anything that flew within 100 yards...

This was my haul from the first of several trips after the season to remove this abomination.

Attachment 74841

I always make a point to pick up my shells, not just because they are litter, but it tells every other hunter out there where to you did well. I don't want to leave any evidence of a good shoot. I've found many good places just from the pile of shells!

Erich
    Good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions...
    http://alaskawaterfowlproducts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    I'm disappointed sometimes with the few slob shooters (I won't call them hunters) that leave all kinds of trash behind. They give the rest of us a terrible image with the general public. I usually try to pick up the empty beer cans I find in the marsh (does an empty, smashed can really weigh that much or take up that much space in your pocket?) and whatever else I can reasonably carry out with me. I think it was last year that some dumb arses thought it would be a good idea to build a blind with heavy mil plastic. It was an eyesore while hunting, visible from the highway, and did not last long during the first windstorm it encountered. Here's a big helpful hint. Use all natural material whenever possible!

My curiosity finally got the best of me last week and I hiked down to check it out. I will not mess with someone else's blind but this had not been used since soon after it was built and needed to go. I doubt someone on here built it. However, if you did, or know who did, shame on you or them for leaving a huge mess in the marsh. Its things like this that gets the authorities to finally give up and burn or tear down all blinds. I balled up the plastic and left it for my next trip when I could bring my sled and bit more energy for the long slog back to the truck with someone else's crap in tow.

Today was a struggle with the extra water in the marsh but I managed to drag it all the way back to my truck. It was a major PITA but I felt good for doing it. The marsh looks better without it.

It only takes a little effort on all of our parts to be good stewards of the resources we enjoy so much. I wonder how much the half dozen empty beer kegs that were used for some type of blind flotation and are now sitting on the ACWR are worth at the recycler?
    ya might want to hock those kegs on craigslist, they make very good mashpots for home brewers

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870 View Post
    I always make a point to pick up my shells, not just because they are litter, but it tells every other hunter out there where to you did well. I don't want to leave any evidence of a good shoot. I've found many good places just from the pile of shells!

Erich
    Yeah just got to remember not to put the emptys in the same pocket with the good ones Have to dump my decoy bag out after every trip to get the trash and the emptys that I picked out of it. Don't know why it is so hard for some to haul the trash out with them, I mean geesh it is lighter after you consume it. Havent had to drag car parts or pallets out in awhile so that make me happy. To all that help haul out other peoples garbage, a huge thanks has been earned.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie