Thread: Peterson Creek - Near Girdwood

Default Peterson Creek - Near Girdwood

Hello all,

Im planning on doing some scouting near Peterson Creek this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any information regarding the terrain of that area or if there were any routes you could recommend. I have the topo maps for that area and have been studying them, just would like to know if anyone could post/PM any suggestions.

Thanks all!

What are you scouting for? Details help.

Release Lake Trout

Is it legal to hunt anything down there? Like black bear?

I've hiked up it to the head, go right up the creek, neat up top. Didn't see any goats but its goat looking country. Weather wasn't to great when I was up there.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I killed a goat up there years ago. There's a trail but it peters out quickly. Be prepared to crawl through a mile or so of willow thickets.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Went up Kern Creek because parking was taken near the Peterson Creek Bridge - I have to say it is NOT worth trying to climb up the mountain between Kern & Peterson.. It's completely wooded all the way to the top and Devils Club is extremely prevalent through there.

Back to Peterson Creek - How deep does it normally run? I had seen a guy getting into the Walmart neoprene waders before he headed up that way. Is it worth walking literally in the creek or are the embankments that bad?

Thanks again all - I greatly appreciate the information so far!

I wore rain pants ad my hiking boots and made it fine. Went right up the creek and around it when I could.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I spent a couple days up there back in sept. That is some thick nasty country. I spent more time in the water than on the banks of the creek.

I was the guy up there last weekend. It's very steep and covered in alders and devils club. I tried to walk up the creek but is quite deep with cliff sides in a few spots. Got to a good Glassing spot and watched for a while then the clouds came in. Snow was pretty low. If you are going up that way be ready to pound some serious brush for a long way. I didn't see a single goat in two days.

Sorry to hear that Tekla - Did you come back out each night and car camp or spike up there? Looking at the topo it doesn't seem like there is much for spiking once you break through the tree line, but if that brush is as bad as Kern was I have zero desire to go through it more than once

I am not able to pm you because you don't have enough posts. Give me a call and I can discuss. I spiked out. Lance 223-2987