Thread: Grizzly or Brown Bear info.

Default Grizzly or Brown Bear info.

I'm pretty new to the area as I've only been in Alaska since May. I was wondering when the Brown's start coming out of hibernation. I am going to dedicate about a week and a half of leave to go on the search for one to kill. I have already taken a black bear and a caribou but Brown Bear and Moose have always been at the top of my list. I am currently in Guam but will be back before May. I plan to look for tracks and them emerging from their den...?Any help will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason95b View Post
    I'm pretty new to the area as I've only been in Alaska since May. I was wondering when the Brown's start coming out of hibernation. I am going to dedicate about a week and a half of leave to go on the search for one to kill. I have already taken a black bear and a caribou but Brown Bear and Moose have always been at the top of my list. I am currently in Guam but will be back before May. I plan to look for tracks and them emerging from their den...?Any help will be appreciated.
    Every spring is a little different, but TAX day 15 Apr, could be a couple weeks either way.

Good Luck and be safe, if you plan on hunting them at or near their dens. Make sure to look out for cubs that could still be in the den. For sure will be getting good around 1 May, they shed out quick once they come out so get on em quick.

Thanks for your service and Good Luck!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

You can't hunt Browns and Grizz until you are a resident. To be a resident you have to be in the state 365 days, I would check with F&G and explain your situation, to make sure you are legal to hunt them this year. If you deployed to Guam before establishing residency, it may be an issue.

Just trying to save you some possible grief. I'm retired military myself and had a Captain friend of mine that got in trouble for buying a license and going on a registration caribou hunt 14 days before he was here a year. It was a very costly mistake and almost cost him his command and career.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Remember, too, that being a non-resident, according to Alaska statutes, you will require the services of an Alaska Registered Guide for any brown or grizzly hunt . . . . . Best to wait one year.

I'm sure you are a responsible citizen and have researched your regulations, so I will help you out. Are you looking for browns, or for grizz? Can't help you much with browns, but interior grizz hunting in the spring is the bee's knees! Especially if you have a snow-go. I have taken a grizz on my birthday weekend in Unti 13E, on March 15th. My dad has also taken a grizz in mid-march, so they will defo be out and about in May. Only problem is that by May in that unit, the snow is pretty much rotted and mostly gone, and a snow-go is sort of not an option, and its still to slushy and water levels are too high for safe travel on wheelers......So your good ol' hiking boots may be your best option, and bears can cover a lot of country fast just walking, so I hope you are in great shape.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Default Residency

Yeah I know about that one that's why I didn't get em yet LOL... positive thinking. Since I am TDY in Guam and I'm still renting in Alaska and my family is there I should be good but will definitely check on it. We've had some people make some stupid mistakes hunting so I get with fish and game with any questions about that. Thank you kindly it's my dream to get a brown or grizz don't care where I take it in Alaska just want to know when to go and I'll keep walking/stalking until I get one or it's been two weeks!! Good luck to you as well thanks for the help!

Default Big ak

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    I'm sure you are a responsible citizen and have researched your regulations, so I will help you out. Are you looking for browns, or for grizz? Can't help you much with browns, but interior grizz hunting in the spring is the bee's knees! Especially if you have a snow-go. I have taken a grizz on my birthday weekend in Unti 13E, on March 15th. My dad has also taken a grizz in mid-march, so they will defo be out and about in May. Only problem is that by May in that unit, the snow is pretty much rotted and mostly gone, and a snow-go is sort of not an option, and its still to slushy and water levels are too high for safe travel on wheelers......So your good ol' hiking boots may be your best option, and bears can cover a lot of country fast just walking, so I hope you are in great shape.
    Thank you that's just what I was looking for and yes I intend to hoof it the entire time!!! I consider myself to be in great shape, but I guess I'll see. I have a wheeler and will probably just leave it on the trailer may not even bring it after a recon of the map. Thanks for all of your help and good luck to you this year.

Default Grizzly2

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Remember, too, that being a non-resident, according to Alaska statutes, you will require the services of an Alaska Registered Guide for any brown or grizzly hunt . . . . . Best to wait one year.
    Roger that I'm going to avoid that one I don't have that type of money at all and getting my caribou all by myself was an awesome feeling even though they're not the brightest. And I baited my bear in, so I am pumped to spot and stalk for a Grizz or Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason95b View Post
    Yeah I know about that one that's why I didn't get em yet LOL... positive thinking. Since I am TDY in Guam and I'm still renting in Alaska and my family is there I should be good but will definitely check on it. We've had some people make some stupid mistakes hunting so I get with fish and game with any questions about that. Thank you kindly it's my dream to get a brown or grizz don't care where I take it in Alaska just want to know when to go and I'll keep walking/stalking until I get one or it's been two weeks!! Good luck to you as well thanks for the help!
    You'll want to check with the troopers - not F&G. A trooper will be the one writing the ticket (if he deems it necessary). It's not unusual for F&G's interpertation of a law to differ from a troopers.

After mid may most the bears will be out. I've always like last week of may and first week of June. Bears are usually breeding good, leaves are not out, moose valves are dropping and temps are still good for being out, and lots of daylight. A spotting scope and alot of country is better than just wandering around. Be patient. Sit and stare, then strike. Sometimes it takes weeks other times it just takes minutes.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    moose valves are dropping and temps are still good for being out, and lots of daylight.
    I'm thinking the moose valves drop in Sept/Oct., Jake. The CALVES drop in May.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Thanks again

Yeah I will get with the troopers about that, one normally comes to our company once a month to talk to us. That sounds great about the time to go works perfectly. I will definitely get myself a spotting scope and keep my eyes peeled but want to walk in deep so no one comes up on me while out there. This September I had parked my four-wheeler when I spotted a herd of caribou and stalked about 800 meters slowly closing the gap and guys see me and my wheeler and just drive right past me straight to the herd.... I WAS PISSED. I ended up getting my bou but edicate is definitely not the same for all.

You might be right!! Lol I think auto correct drops year round!

No amount of walking will garuntee you'll be alone. Sometimes it's better to be in a area with more people, means there's probably more bears around. Just gotta be sharper quicker and faster.... Just remember if you got there someone else can get there. Don't let it discourage you if you do see someone.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Just remember if you got there someone else can get there. Don't let it discourage you if you do see someone.
    Yep, we're all in this life together......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!