Thread: Best digital developing?

Question Best digital developing?

I am new to the whole Digital SLR world. I bought my Rebel XTI this year and love the output. I took some awesome pictures already. It's amazing how popular you get with the Sled Head boys when you bring a camera. Great shots of winter fun! NOW...where is the best place to take my card and get photos made? Thanks.

Your photos are inspirational...Thanks for sharing.

H

I live in Fairbanks, and even here there are all sorts of places to have the photos printed, including Sam's Club. I imagine that it's the same in Los Anchorage.

Now, I just print them at home to give to friends and family, and use a HP Deskjet 6127 office printer that is several years old now. You should be able to do the same with one of the new home photo printers. The printers are cheap enough, but the inks will be a little expensive. I only use custom ink (HP), and have never had a single problem with the printer.

Besides the printer, buy PhotoShop, or PhotoShop Elements. Elements only costs around $65.00. You can use this program to get the photos ready for posting on the Internet, or simply to enhance the photos upon downloading to your computer, working with RAW photos, etc.

The *best* places are usually expensive, but the quality is worth it when you need it. I've taken things to Photowrite on Fireweed Lane and they always seem to do an excellent job. Another place would be Jostins, and I've heard good things about Kellers as well.

For cheaper places I usually look for a one hour shop that has a Fuji Frontier printer. It's far from the only good printer out there these days, but they are a very foolproof device, and inexperienced operators don't seem to be able to mess it up as much as some of the others. -- This is not just *my* opinion either. You can read much the same sentiment on other photography forums.

Walmart and Sam's Clubs in Anchorage have them. Sam's photo department is always way less busy, and a little less money than Walmart, so I take normal stuff there. They have always done a decent job for me, but you do have to consider the price when making a judgement like this. Before they bought the Frontiers Sam's was the last place you wanted to take your film/files, but they are pretty good these days. Of course just about all consumer printers print with too much contrast and color saturation for a natural realistic look, but this is what sells these days, so that's the way they print them.

Default Just what I needed

Thank you for all the good info. I've tried a few of the "quickie" print places and the quality was just so-so. I really needed a place to take my one of a kind pictures and get the quality back. I have no problem paying the money at all for good quality. Thanks again, Holli

Holli, if you want great quality go to Keller's. It is at 1411 W. 33rd. They are off of Spenard just behind the old Fly By Night Comedy Club. Talk to Amber or Joe, they really do great work. EricL

Default Digital printing

We offer great printing at reasonable prices. Mention this forum and I will give you 50% off of the published prices. There is always free picture storage with albums for everyone to look at.
    There would be a small shipping charge but the work is great and worth it. Check out our web site

Joel Paymer
    Camera Land
    www.cameralandny.com

mPix.com has done a great job for me if you are getting 8x10s or anything like that I fully reccomend them
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.