Thread: What's a poor boy jet ranger

Default What's a poor boy jet ranger

I just can't swing the $ a ranger is. Seeing what they can do makes my mouth water...just can't do it. So what is something a lil cheaper that can still have a 25 jet hangin off the back and still run a lil skinny stuff? I know that the ranger is hard to beat, and I'm not wanting something that can do what a ranger can.. Just wanting something that can have a lil jet on the back, carry 2 guys and a lil weight, and still run places I can't take my outboard. Keeping weight in mind of course. Thanks much

You could probably find another boat that is somewhat cheaper than a Jet Ranger. But, you'd still have to buy a new 25hp jet motor, which will cost more than the boat, because there aren't many on the used market. I still have a nice used 25hp prop motor, that I bought on CL, thinking I could find a used jet lower to go with it. After a year of looking, I gave up and bought a Jet Ranger and motor as a package deal. It's been a great rig!
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I already plan on buying a new 25 outboard, which is why I can't really get the ranger. All I'm really looking for is, a small setup that two guys and some gear/ meat can rip around in. There has gotta be a nice lil raft for what I'm wanting. I'll continue to search. My price range is 2g's, for the raft that is. I wasn't expecting the price of the ranger when I looked it up. Do you know the main raft stores in anch or Fairbanks? So I can take my searching other places than the Internet..

I say 2g's...that is what I'd like to keep it close to.

A kaboat possibly?

Default jet john

go on youtube and search "jet john" people take an old jet ski, chop out the motor & intake, then cut out the back/bottom of a john boat and bolt the jet ski carcass onto the john boat. pretty cool..........

I doubt you can find anything at a dealer for 2k t hang a motor on. I am a dealer and sell paddle boards for 1k+ hate to burst you bubble, but that is the real world. Most inflatables are not good jet boats. If you want a river runner with a small jet on the cheap, look for a small jon to pair your motor to. Used.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    I already plan on buying a new 25 outboard, which is why I can't really get the ranger. All I'm really looking for is, a small setup that two guys and some gear/ meat can rip around in. There has gotta be a nice lil raft for what I'm wanting. I'll continue to search. My price range is 2g's, for the raft that is. I wasn't expecting the price of the ranger when I looked it up. Do you know the main raft stores in anch or Fairbanks? So I can take my searching other places than the Internet..

I just can't swing the $ a ranger is. Seeing what they can do makes my mouth water...just can't do it. So what is something a lil cheaper that can still have a 25 jet hangin off the back and still run a lil skinny stuff? I know that the ranger is hard to beat, and I'm not wanting something that can do what a ranger can.. Just wanting something that can have a lil jet on the back, carry 2 guys and a lil weight, and still run places I can't take my outboard. Keeping weight in mind of course. Thanks much
    with small jet motors, the key is long and narrow plaining hulls to get up on step with a moderate load. build an 18-19 ft. long x 32 in. bottomed john boat with cheap plywood, cheap polyester resin, and matt fiberglass. beat it up/ fix it/ repeat.

Bet yah you could build a beater-boat with only a grand invested, and put away alot of moosey meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    I doubt you can find anything at a dealer for 2k t hang a motor on. I am a dealer and sell paddle boards for 1k+ hate to burst you bubble, but that is the real world. Most inflatables are not good jet boats. If you want a river runner with a small jet on the cheap, look for a small jon to pair your motor to. Used.

Tom
    I have researched a lil on a 1242 alweld.. Right around 2500, new that is. Of course I will look for a used boat of the like. To run a jet I should look for a 21" transom correct? Also I was told goin any smaller than a 42 will just be too small, due to the 150lb motor plus me 225..does this sound right? I would not like anything longer than 12' due to puttin the boat on my cab. Is there any 1042? Brand is of no concern really, just would like a welded rig. Thanks

Is a 25 to much for a 10 footer?

Waters a bit hard now, meaning that you have lots and lots of time. Just keep a eye on cl and you can find a used boat, jet, trl outfit that is reliable and cheap, 3-4k cheap. If the hull and trailer look good, ask if you can have a boat mechanic look it over and run the motor for you, the investment would be worth while unless you are a pretty knowledgeble mechanic. There are lots of 10 yr old boats and motors up here with only a couple hundred hours use on them. Bud
    Wasilla

Had a 16x42 jon with a 25 jet (4 stroke). Great setup but a little tippy for my taste. 14x48 would be a great setup...look into mud motors. I have a 25 jet that sits in the garage cause it can't do what my 23 mudmotor can.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Waters a bit hard now, meaning that you have lots and lots of time. Just keep a eye on cl and you can find a used boat, jet, trl outfit that is reliable and cheap, 3-4k cheap. If the hull and trailer look good, ask if you can have a boat mechanic look it over and run the motor for you, the investment would be worth while unless you are a pretty knowledgeble mechanic. There are lots of 10 yr old boats and motors up here with only a couple hundred hours use on them. Bud
    Good idea. I don't even really need a trailer, but I understand ya. I would like to have a 14' but that's pushin it as like I said, when I take it with me in my bigger boat I will need to trown it on my cab..

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    Had a 16x42 jon with a 25 jet (4 stroke). Great setup but a little tippy for my taste. 14x48 would be a great setup...look into mud motors. I have a 25 jet that sits in the garage cause it can't do what my 23 mudmotor can.
    A 25 that just sits in the garage huh...hmmm

Are jons with 21" transoms what I should limit my search to?

Freighter canoe with a small surface drive is another way to go. I prefer them to bombing around up on step in a jet boat. Burning gas like crazy is going out of style....

Are jons with 21" transoms what I should limit my search to?
    Usually the transom has to be fit to the engine.
    jet drive outboards are finicky, gotta fit just right.

One boat to do several things well in Alaska is tough to do.
    If you're a boater, 2 usually , 3 counting a canoe is the norm. LOL
    Many out there know from where I speak.

IMO, the perfect boat set up, is a River, a Lake & a Salty. (& a canoe)
    But then you're working all the time to pay for it all LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Usually the transom has to be fit to the engine.
    jet drive outboards are finicky, gotta fit just right.

One boat to do several things well in Alaska is tough to do.
    If you're a boater, 2 usually , 3 counting a canoe is the norm. LOL
    Many out there know from where I speak.

IMO, the perfect boat set up, is a River, a Lake & a Salty. (& a canoe)
    But then you're working all the time to pay for it all LOL
    The reason I say that is cuz the guy at boat shop in banks was telling me I would want a 21" transom..I have a pretty wicked river runner with my 20' alweld and 140 suzuki. I had a jet for it, but I sold it. I would rather rally a 2000$ boat that I can pull of bars by hand, than a nicer/bigger setup...of course. Just seems a 15" wouldn't let me run with the foot where it should be..would like to get what will work best the first time, as to to get a lil setup and be disappointed with its capabilities.