Thread: .243 Winchester predator loads. Recommendations?

Default .243 Winchester predator loads. Recommendations?

Ok. I've done some searches but none seemed to cleanly addressy question. I am intrigued with the idea of downloading to minimize exit holes. So what loads are you folks using for predator hunting in .243 for minimizing pelt damage? I have imr 4350, accurate 4340, reloder 22 and a few different bullets including a bunch of 58 gr vmax's and a few options Barnes tsx, hornady and swift soft points in the 80-100 gr range. My barrel is 1-10 twist. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Never have with 243 but I would just get some Trailboss and follow the directions on the can. Small charges or Unique, Bullseys, Clays, Red Dot, or Green Dot will also do the trick very well. If you can find some gas checked RN cast bullets that would be great or just whatever cheap soft point flies well from your rifle slowed down, ether will poke neat little round holes inside 100 yards at +22mag like velocity.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sierra makes a 90 gr FMJ when loaded in the 243 it makes a small exit hole. The 243 is on the upper edge of large varmint rifles and usually not considered a fur hunters rifle; Unless you are hunting large furbearers.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Yup, if you can find them FMJ is better still. You can push them a bit faster/flatter and still get the round hole. At 243 velocity I bet even FMJ will yaw inside and make a mess. 243 is more of a predator/deer caliber but cutting the speed a bit it should make a great furbearer rifle too.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Hornady makes an 80 gr. FMJ for the .243. Rick Kinmon has used them for many years with astounding success at about 2800 FPS MV out of a 6 MM BR. It shouldn't be too difficult to duplicate that in the .243.

Rick has made a living all his life hunting predators. Check out his book Hunting the Hunters.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Pick a tough, heavy bullet and keep it under 2800 FPS as AKsoldier pointed out and you'll be just fine.

Thanks for all the tips so far. Still working on locating non-expanding bullets. I got some IMR SR 4759 today which should be good for reduced loads. Anyone have any experience loading 4759?

2jumperplease- The Sierra 90gr fmj is a boat-tail, catalog#1535, and Hornady has a 80gr fmj cat#2430. Personally never used a 243 Win, I have a 244 Rem, have shot both bullets I used H4831 got good accuracy and velocity 2880+ fps. The only critter I have shot with the fmjs was a coyote that insisted on raiding my neighbors chickens. The dog dropped at the shot with a exit hole bout 1" on the off side. Bullet hit and broke a rib. Range 170+ yds. Hope that helps
    Subchaser

2jumperplease- The Sierra 90gr fmj is a boat-tail, catalog#1535, and Hornady has a 80gr fmj cat#2430. Personally never used a 243 Win, I have a 244 Rem, have shot both bullets I used H4831 got good accuracy and velocity 2880+ fps. The only critter I have shot with the fmjs was a coyote that insisted on raiding my neighbors chickens. The dog dropped at the shot with a exit hole bout 1" on the off side. Bullet hit and broke a rib. Range 170+ yds. Hope that helps
    Subchaser