Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Repowering the River Wild. Ecotec is out, alloy 480 hp LS2 going in

Default Repowering the River Wild. Ecotec is out, alloy 480 hp LS2 going in

Well, the Supercharged Ecotec is going to Montana. It was just never enough power for me, even though I tried to make it work...but just not enough.

So, I found a L76 truck engine, 6.0l all aluminum get up thats going to find a new home. Basically its an LS2, with VVT and a butt ugly truck intake manifold.

Long story short, Ive got some extra 6.0 LS pieces that need a new home. These will help you marinise your own gm ls engine and get it ready. Motor mounts, bellhousing, coolers...etc. Let me know if you want anything. Some of them are on ebay, but I'd rather sell locally.

PM me if you're interested.

Anyways...Ill keep you guys updated as I go. Its going to be a "winter" project...lol

Joe
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 12-11-2013 at 22:39. Reason: e
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Okay Joe you are going to make me do some work to mine so I can keep up. Sounds interesting. Will it be ready for the spring run? Also we want to see pictures.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

The 'Floating Focus' is finally getting some ponies?!....say it ain't so...now I won't be able to give you a hard time about it
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

ha Dan, your tub is just fine. Besides, you gotta roll slow so everyone can enjoy the polish!

T....indeed, the baby motor is gone. Here is a dyno and a pic of the new motor minus the shiny marine bits that are coming. It hasn't even frozen yet and I can't wait for the thaw.

How much power did the ecotec have, 250? Is bill buying the motor back from you? What are you doing for a pump with the new beast, same? Sounds pretty awesome, I'm afraid if I ever see it go it will cost me a bunch of money cause I can't imagine having 400+ hp, so much fun. I am still driving my boat every weekend and can't wait for it to thaw yet either man.

Are you going to have to build a bigger dog house too?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Yep, Bill's getting the motor for a customer who is repowering. Mine originally came from Sam Bass over at Flowtec, it was one of the first ecotec's in the states. It was supposedly 252 hp, but I could never spin it high enough to get there without a huge blowout on the bottom end. It was ok, but pushing it moderately in my relatively heavy boat just used too much fuel. It was always in the boost, unless I wanted to go 22..lol It got great economy there...They are really suited for a light boat, but I think it still wont ever compare to a sportjet...unless a guy has to have a 2 stage.

T, doghouse will be a bit wider and longer. And Ill probably have to move my fuel tank forward a bit to clear the oil pan. Nothing a welder and grinder wont fix... Hopefully it works...lol

I build lots of stuff. Most of it I don't keep.

Can I ask whats wrong with a 383 long block or 5.7?

Just curious. I haven't been following this thread closely, and I apoligise in advance if my questions are silly.

I just figure for 1800 plus shipping to ANC, why would you do anything else.

I don't know where you would find a 5.7 marine motor fully equipped for 1800, i looked into it when wanting to put a v8 in my extreme shallow and they cost around 5-7 thousand depending on about 100 variables for a newer fuel injected motor. I know a new mercruiser 383 mpi stroker motor is are around 9000 bucks in alaska and that didn't included buying the best pump available (Scott) for my boat either which means I could put dual 200 optimax motors in for the cost of the v8 setup I wanted. Sounds like c-bolt wants more power than those two motors also, and we don't know what he paid for it

Oh I know the variance in price. Espescially with shipping. No doubt you are correct about both those points.

I was able to get a modern 5.7 for my Nautique which was a replacement for the factory 351W Ford. (1983) The long block was 2050 for the Ford in my config, and I had to buy a couple updated brackets for my pump and alt. Maybe 150 bux including the tax and shipping there. Shipping was 1100 to get it to the new (old 1940's reopened) freight station here at Hudson Crossing/Athol/Thurman. Same flag stop deal as my place near Talkeetna. (Oh yeah, we have that here in the Adirondacks too!!! )

I agree it sounds like the OP is looking for a little something more that he is probably going to have to find in a big block if he still wants a gasser. That doesn't mean he can't build a super 8.1 if he wants though. I was just trying to help shed some light on some of the possibilities.

Look at US Engines. http://www.usengine.us/marine.html They often have good deals on stuff not on their website, and he owner is usually most always able to come to the phone to answer questions or take specs for a particular build. I have had good luck with them, and so have a bunch of my other friends who build projects. I don't know them personally, and I don't work for them, so my affiliation ends at the end of a credit card number. They have never let me down in the past though, and they are very friendly people.

CAVEAT.

I am not talking about a crate engine for under two grand. I am talking about a reman long block with your heads and components. Sorry if I confused anyone. Crate engine packages are very expensive indeed, and the prices other folks stated reflect that.

Again. Sorry for butting into an ongoing conversation. I just wanted to share some of my experience.

That's funny you mentioned that link I was looking at them last night. I wish I could afford a new motor with the pump I want but I can't because I want a brand new fuel injected with scott 852 until then I am thinking about the new scott 612 pump for my boat until I can get what I really want. C-bolt does your boat have a scott in it? If I go that route I'll start a tread on tearing my boat apart to fit the new gem.

Dan, again, sorry for the intrusion on your discussuion with the OP, but what do you want to turn with your engine?

Are you looking for a big torque application or a low torque screamer?

Maybe if I knew more about what you were trying to do I could make better suggestions for ideas. I'm 38 and I've owned about 30 boats. Right now I own two, both with small block straight shafts.

I LOVE boat projects.

Its pretty simple really, WEIGHT. Weight is huge. I wan't to draft as little water as possible while sitting still. There is zero chance I'm putting an iron block in my tub. I don't care if it was free. My ecotec was pretty light, and I'm probably only going to gain 200 lbs or so on the conversion.
    The all aluminum engine I bought is in super shape, compression is top notch and these 6.0 aluminum and 6.2 gm motors are just excellent bases to build huge power reliably. You're just not going to get close to 500 hp in a small block for very cheap. Big block sure, but still, thats even more weight... My boat is 18.5 ft long and I don't want a heavy engine sitting back there. I've already got to buy all the marine bits, so it really didn't matter which engine I started with. Chris over at Riddle Marine has been helping me put together some of the random and shiny stuff, that way it will be a little bit of show with a bunch of go...

Ive got a hamilton 2 stage with Scott impellers now, I'll be stretching that to a 3 stage and keeping the nozzle, not sure on the impellers yet. It should get some when I'm done.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure most of those engines that guy is selling have iron blocks and heads... those are Heavy! Plus shipping to AK? geez it costs 3-500 bucks to ship stuff out of alaska, and thats the "cheap" backhaul rate.

With all the marine stuff I have sold, and the stuff I still will sell, I'll probably be into this project (out of pocket) for around 3-3500. This engine should last me a couple years before a rebuild, maybe longer...and then Ill probably just rebuild it myself.

I actually have an assembled 350 short block and all the rest of the stuff to finish rebuilding it already in my garage...nope...still not going in...

Also, still have tons of parts for a project for someone. 2 iron block/aluminum head 6.0's. One is mostly complete, intake, aluminum exhaust, fuel pumps, motor mounts....etc..If you're not worried about the weight...give me a buzz...Ill make ya a deal. Its on craigslist if you search.

I like the discussion though, keep it going.

C-Bolt, Dan, et. al....

I feel ya on the weight issue with regards to draft. I also totally understand the appeal of an aluminum block in that situation. My only aluminum block experience is with Alusil Mercedes V-8's, and that clearly doesn't apply here.

Since everyone seems ok with me just throwing crap at the wall, I will continue to do so.

Beam is a consideration when you want to get your running gear out of the water. My 13 foot beam sport fish has a deeper keel (36 inch) than running gear (26 inch), while my 18 foot Ski Nautique has the prop at nearly the low point at 24 inches with only the rudder extending deeper than that (27 inches). A lot of this thinking is based on a dual versus single propulsion layout, but you can see what I mean about spreading it out to keep it shallow. Maybe twin 4.3's would be better than a single big block. Maybe 3.0's are a better option for twins. You can build both 4.3's and 3.0's just as well as a V-8, obviously money is always a factor in any project.

I dropped a long block into my Nautique this past spring. That was a direct bolt up job for a tired old ski boat engine. 3500 bux beat the eff out of 145k for the same boat new today.

FWIW I'm running the piss out of my flat tappet stock 1978 Chevy 305's. They have 1700 hrs on them now. N/A, and basically bone stock except for the recent upgrade with Mallory breakerless. I guess I am also the dik that runs NGK 8BP's in an old skewl Chevy too, but thats another story.

I can build engines outta Husky bones. I wanna hear more about what you folks run for gear. I think the flats and river running gear is a special.

As I hear more about your project(s) I will chime in more with ideas. For now, I am just getting a first idea of what you fellas are trying to do. I love the motivation and innovation, and I am happy to add in any way I can. Even if its just sounding board kinda feedback.

Yes weight is the huge one... I was going to say something about your aluminum block and ask how much that saves. How do you like the scott impellers, my cousin has a 2 stage Kodiak behind a 302 that he was thinking about putting some in. He has been talking to Jeff Schlagel about them but I'd like to hear your option also. For you sockeye, My future boat would be something like c-bolt is doing now or something similar to a riddle marine cargo jet, big hp and big pump, being as light as possible but build in a much higher quality than a sport Jon type boat, some people may claim they are strong but no where near what they could be and again I guess it comes down to weight. Right now I have 160 hp motor with a POS pump and it's really the only problem with the boat. It has enough power for what i do and will go on very long hunts since the fuel consumption and weight is very low. So by adding this new scott jet that should be available soon I should be able to maximize efficiency, weight hauling abilitys and every aspect of quality to my boat. Still won't be like an optimax but much closer than it is now. Jetcraft would have hit the ball out of the park if they were just using the 160 4-stroke inboard with a very highly tested and high quality pump with it instead of just throwing it in with what was given to them.

Twins means twin jets units and for a lot of the running people do around here, c-bolt to I'm assuming from his current project is going to be running like crazy and in shallow water and that is then two jets to maintain, and 4-6 very expensive impellers to look out for. sound like one pump, and one aluminum block is goin to be much lighter still.

Aluminum block saves about 100 lbs. My boat usually drafted around 10 - 12 inches, so Im hoping to keep it close, probably gain a couple. Ive got room to move the fuel tank forward about a foot, so that should help with the weight distribution. I should stretch the tank to make more room, I'm not sure how long 44 gallons is going to last...hahahaha

Those 4.3's are pretty heavy for the size, near 305/350 weight because of the balance shaft or so I am told.

I think the new mercruiser 4.3 mpi is around 750 pounds

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast