Thread: A question for Mort Mason

Default A question for Mort Mason

I'm in the process of reading your book Flying the Alaska Wild, and in it you briefly talked about a Doc Romig who had built a hunting cabin out in the bush, and then you mentioned that he had removed his own appendix with a hunting knife. I got kind of curious about this and wanted to find out more about it, so I started looking around the net. The only Dr. I can find out about that ever removed his own appendix was a Soviet doctor stationed in Antarctica in 1961. Can you point me to any more information about the circumstances of this Doc Romig removing his appendix? I ran across a little information about him but it mentioned nothing about him removing his own appendix.

The Russian was not the only one to do this......

This doctor did it in 1921

http://tobecomeasurgeon.com/surgeon-...-own-appendix/

Or this guy in 1949

Dr. George Balderston In Hospital After Removing His Own Appendix July 15, 1949

Doctor Joseph Herman Romig (18721951) was known as the Dog Sled Doctor and his book of the same name is interesting reading.
    His son Doctor Howard G. Romig Jan. 28, 1911 to Jun. 21, 1987 was also a pretty tough cookie...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Sorry that I can't lead you to any literature about Doc Romig's appendectomy. He was quite a guy, and famous in Alaska in his own time. Anchorage has a "Romig Hill". a school named for him, and I've stayed in his cabin at Swan Lake down on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula. He was my wife's physician for many years, and I thought his lonely nighttime appendectomy was rather common knowledge in Alaska. I'll email a friend who is still in Anchorage about this. Perhaps he'll remember more about it than I.

Don't go to a lot of trouble trying to find out, it's not that big of a deal. Like I said, I was just curious. And thanks.

Awesome book Mort