Thread: Leaky tires...

Default Leaky tires...

OK, this is probably a bit of a dumb question, but here goes… I have a slow leak in two of the tires on my Rhino - ITP Mud Lites. I've read some older threads on this forum about the issue but wanted to get some more current thoughts.

My first idea is to install Slime or some other sealant. What's your experience with Slime? Are there other products that are better? I understand there can be a real mess when it comes time to change the tires - other issues?

Should i patch them the traditional way - find the leak and patch? I don't know where the leaks are now… small hole, leak around rim, leaky valve stem...

These are very slow leaks, noticeably soft tire after 2-3 weeks of sitting in the garage.

Thanks!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

I had a leak in one of my mudlites that would drain the tire after 3 days. I tried plugs, patches, double plugs, just wouldn't hold air! Finally, i just plugged it up the best i could, then bought a atv size bottle of slime and put it in there. Its held air for 4 months now, and I've put about 300 miles on the tire this season, including some hard tundra romping while moose hunting. Some say that it will affect your ride at high speeds, the slime will make it wobbly, but I rarely go out of 3rd gear so it isn't an issue for me. I keep a mini air-compressor, a bottle of slime, and plug/patch kit on my ride at all times tho-just in case....
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

If it's that slow it's probably leaking around the bead. Air it up to pressure and spray around the tire with some soapy water, when you see bubbles forming, you've found the leak. If it's on the tire, take it off and patch it. Around the rim or a smaller pinhole calls for Slime

OP, How long have the tires been on the vehicle? Is it possible that a valve stem is going bad? I have seen that in the past. Do you have the resources to remove the tire from the wheel and clean the bead? If so there is also a product called 'Bead Seal' that can be applied to the wheel before the tire is re-installed.

OP I also have mud lights and have had a small leak and thought it was one if the issues the other posters have stated but after going through the tires with a soapy rag I found quite a few spots on the edge of the tire - where there are still lugs. I between the lugs looks like the tire is dry rotted. I've put a couple of plugs in and they hold waaay better but still have to add air occasionally. The rubber is also very very thin in these spots. Hope this gives you another place to look for your issue

Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I have mud lites and the very same issue. Turned out to be some dirt in the bead...

The best way to solve the problem is to find out what the problem is.If it is a single hole plug or patch if it is leaking in several places like through the sidwall then go with the slime treatment.If it is a bead leak the dismount and clean the rim and bead surface and lube with a soapy solution and reinflate.

Tire shop said the mud lights tend to get loose threads from the ply in the bead causing slow leaks. At the end of the day you have to troubleshoot each tire problem individually and see what you find. Soap and water is cheap.

Thanks guys for the good responses. I will get out the soapy water and start tracking down the source of the leaks. If i elect to "slime" the leakers - both rear tires - do you think i should install slime in the fronts as a preventive measure?
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

I'm sure there is room on that big ol' rhino to strap on a bottle of slim or too, and stash a mini-air compressor somewhere. I found a 9 inch spike nail on the trail that fell off some guys ride on his way out ot his moose camp....with my rear tire. I don't think having slime already IN the tire would have stopped that gash from leaking. Plug and slime as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    I found a 9 inch spike nail on the trail that fell off some guys ride on his way out ot his moose camp.
    You really think it fell off and was not put there pointing up?

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. It was the rear tire, so as best i could figure it, my front tire initially ran over it driving the head of the spike into the ground which lifted up the sharp end slightly. A fraction of a second later my rear tire came cruising along........

We have 6/8 ply tires on all of our rigs. So far have not had an issue with them holding air. The down side of the stiff side wall tires is that you can not tell when they are low on air. Have to check them with a gage, just to be sure.

Slime works great. So does Stan's No Tube sealant. Never had a balance issue with either. My Mud Hogs bled down over time. Almost certainly dirt in the beads. Slime is a suitable fix for me. Stan's is more expensive and harder to find. And I can't tell any difference in how it works.

I had inner tubes put in my mudlites on my rhino after slow leaks. 4 years later, still good to go.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The name of the little pins of rubber on new tires is 'knobbies' or 'dingus.' These little pieces of rubber are left over from the injection molding process and do not serve any purpose, however they create a very insufficient seal with the rim if not removed. This is the main reason ITP Mudlite tires loose air pressure/volume.