Thread: Loading atv in boat

Default Loading atv in boat

I just picked up a 18" Valco with 115hp Yamaha jet. It is my understanding Becuase it is a factory jet max the 115hp is true. Is it crazy to think of loading my atv in this boat. It has four I believe built in bench seats thinking of removing a few of these and making an area to place my ATV

Be careful what you remove the benches help strengthen the sides and bottom if you remove then you could have problems.

It should be a 115/80 jet, i.e.....115 powerhead that produces 80 hp at the nozzle due to power robbed via the jet mechanics.

Load it from the side, use ramps. It will have a high center of gravity loaded perpendicular to the keel. It's a tricky scenario but do-able.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    It should be a 115/80 jet, i.e.....115 powerhead that produces 80 hp at the nozzle due to power robbed via the jet mechanics.

Load it from the side, use ramps. It will have a high center of gravity loaded perpendicular to the keel. It's a tricky scenario but do-able.
    BK
    I know you loose power but if it is already a jet drive form the factory so i was told it is a 115 with the jet

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Be careful what you remove the benches help strengthen the sides and bottom if you remove then you could have problems.
    Would you suggest leaving them in and building a platform that goes over them. The ATV would sit higher a few feet will that cause issues. Here is the In side view Becuase of the support brackets on the benches I'm weary of removing them for the reason you mentioned.

I had a 115/80 jet and it was a dog when it came to power with nothing in it.

Before I did anything I would put the ATV in the boat or add weight to simulate a it and camping gear and go for a test run.

From what I can see from the picture it looked like you need the benches to support the sides. Take it to a shop and get a 2nd opinion on what you should do.

Some good advice here! I might add a couple of items (that I'd be considering!) is the rated capacity of the boat (found on the capacity plate) and an accurate calculation of the metacentric height http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacentric_height when loaded with the ATV. A bit of math and you'll be able to figure out the stability of your proposed endeavor without getting wet! The motor's ability (power) to get the load moving is yet another math exercise, but as we all know, it just seems easier to try it and see what happens rather than 'hire an engineer to come up with the answer'. Good luck! Boat Safer, Mike

Remember that even if you are within the weight limits stated on the capacity plate, that the higher up that weight is from the keel, the more effect its going to have on your ability to steer, and maintain control of the vessel. You may find that after you load up that you are left with an uncomfortably small amount of freeboard. That small amount of remaining freeboard will become frighteningly small when the vessel leans over in a turn. If you are not careful water could overcome the hull on the beam which will fill the entire boat with water in a hurry. If the vessel is carrying any momentum when this happens the end result is most usually a very quick corkscrew to the bottom in the direction the bow dipped when the water came in.

Definately be careful loading, and definately do an easy test run in waters that you are very familiar with before you go off any distance from shore. Always wear your PFD and let someone know where you plan to go.

It looks like you are going to use the spruce pole to make a ridge pole for a tarp. If that is the case I would put something like a 4x4 across the top of the windshield frame to distribute the weight rather than all in one place. Also I would put some thing on the engine like a peice of plywood with the mat that you have there now under it.