Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to be this weekend?...

Post Where to be this weekend?...

OK...so I have the fishing itch something terrible (doctor can't cure it) and not alot of time to sort thru all of these threads. I'm looking for "the place to be" for anything swimming. I'm hoping for a good lake or a place to start scoping Salmon (river style...no boat) Hopefully soemthing that has proven something this week.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. You all seem to be very helpful and very willing to share spots and ideas. I promise to post fishing reports and pictures as my summer passes.

Have a safe weekend.
    H

Road accessible and historically productive on Memorial Day weekend for salmon?

The Ninilchik River and Anchor River.

Default Good to know...

Thanks for the info. Mr. Pid...I think I just might make a run and try that. Have a great weekend.

Anchor is the only spot showing good numbers. Over 1800 kings so far I think. Everywhere else is late. Or hooligan if you like that but sounds like you want to fish. I'd go Anchor and Homer spit for the lagoon and the beach by lands end and catch some cod/flatsfish/sculpin.

Default Where to Go?

Any where except to stay home and do chores!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default I hear ya....

Yeah..this stay in town bit is KILLING me. I'd rather stand in a river or on a beach for 8 hours than sit on a couch. Time to get out! :-)
    How's the lagoon looking anyways? I've never fished for anything other than Salmon in Homer. What kind of a set up do I need for the fish you mentioned?

Thanks a bunch!
    H

Default anything

I use a light spinning real. Usually the one I'd use for trout. The farther you can cast the better. I just use a three way swivel or just tie it like one, a wt at the bottom, the hook on the side and then tie to your mono. I use small shrimp and herring when I am fishing the spit. Just throw it out there and wait for the bite. Fishing there is just ureal as far as how easy it is to catch some fish. They will be pretty small, but it's fun. Yellowfin sole, sculpins, pollock, and Cod, maybe a small halibut if you are lucky and can really heave it.
    Go down the spit and right at the hotel (lands end) there is a small gravel beach. Set up your spot and lawnchair, throw your bait towards the pylons in the water and wait. .....you can throw small spinners as well or spoons if baitfishing bores you!
    Good luck!
    Mike

Default Awesome....

Thanks Mike...You're the man! I think I'll head down Saturday night and give it a whirl. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

Holli

Where ever you all plan to head, just get out there and enjoy the official kick-off to the summer fishing season!

I sure miss the Memorial opener on my favorite KP stream. Went 11 straight years without fail until year-long med school got in the way.

Now I have to settle for 2-4 pound Columbia River shad for my Memorial weekend kickoff.

Tight lines all, and post pics when you get back!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Now I have to settle for 2-4 pound Columbia River shad for my Memorial weekend kickoff.
    FYI, this is what they look like:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=154283
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default halibut bait?

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    FYI, this is what they look like:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=154283
    Hey, those would make great halibut bait, they are so oily. They were the best crab bait back in Coos Bay, (and great sturgeon bait), fun to catch too. How the heck to you eat those things though, I tried and there were a million tiny bones all through the fillet?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default So...

Did anyone have anyluck this weekend? I didn't get a chance to throw a line, but hope this weekend will be better.

Default Where

Yeah, I didnt get out either. I would head either to ninilchik (they gotta come in sometime) or try some local lakes this weekend. Are you in anc or the valley? Shoot me a PM if you would like some lake info.

Default Yeah...didn't they get the memo?

Gotta come in sometime is right. The closest I came to salmon was Gwinnie's Salmon Chowder. Camped a night at Kenai Lake just to get out of town. I thought it would take the edge off the fishing bug, but I think it's worse. :-)
    By the way...local report is that the Brownies are out in full force, more than past years, and they are more aggressive it seems. Stay aware. No reports of clown bears though.

Here fishy, fishy, fishy......

Default Ninilchik

Maybe they had a metting with the Bob's

Ninilchik was slow last year for the opener, but was pretty hot the second weekend. I love it down there. Its the official opener for the summer madness.

Hey Holli, shot you a PM...EricL

Default Anchorage lakes?

Hey everyone,

I am visiting Anchorage till Sunday. I am with my family visiting in-laws but was wondering if there is any good fly fishing to be had right now. Anchorage or within about an hour's drive. As much info as possible would be really helpful as I have never been here before. I have been here for about a week already so I know my way around a little. Thanks a bunch

CAmeron

Default fly fishing forum...

Sorry...Not much of a fly fisherman, but you should check out the flyfishing forum...2 under this fishing forum and post your question. The folks on here are great and will send you in the right direction. You can also call a few of the local Fly shops and they are kind enough to give you some info.

Good luck and enjoy your visit!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsFish2 View Post
    Did anyone have anyluck this weekend? I didn't get a chance to throw a line, but hope this weekend will be better.
    Hit Johnson lake for some fun trout fishing (was slow, but still got fish on the line - woohoo!!).

Also hit Ninilchik for a few hours on Monday - heard a couple caught early in the morning...but nadda for me . Of course...first time out for Kings...is almost always the same...it's a tradition

Hoping to hit Anchor this weekend...and after being successful - hit Homer spit for some fun catch-a-little-of-everything fishing off the spit!

Night all....

Default ninilchik...

Thinking about heading towards Ninilchik or Homer. What's the latest from that direction?
    Thanks, H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast