Thread: Extreme shallow or Woolridge xl sj, Which is better for a tall guy?

Default Extreme shallow or Woolridge xl sj, Which is better for a tall guy?

Im in the market for a sport jet boat for cruising and running shallow. Im 6'4" and have run the 1875 extreme shallow standing up but like the size and design of the xl. The helm looks lower on the xl. Anybody out there run both of these boats and can give alittle feed back? Im in juneau so cant really go check any out unless i go to anchorage or fairbanks. I will call the boat shop for some measurements if needed. I like the forward windsheild better than the rear set up like sjx or phantom but those choices aren't out of the question either. Thanks

I don't have either but this is the guy I'd talk to

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HD9r0Y7...%3DHD9r0Y7YCuE
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Here we go again..... Depends on the man running the throttle.......
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I am 6'6" and run an 1875 XS. Love my boat, I like it better than the XL just because of where I go and that fact than mine is smaller in size, but it my XS is heavier than the XL I believe. All I can tell you is that I would have more dents and scrapes if I had the XL. Never sat behind the helm of an XL though so I can't speak on the Leg room. I know they are laid out better for carrying loads.

ive run the 1875 and i know i can stand up in that boat. but like the xl lay out. my wife likes sitting in the back of our skiff when going over logs and beaver dams so im probably going to look at the phantom and sjx more aswell. i cant seem to message yet so not sure how to get ahold of that toshiroak guy yet. looks like he has been in both and could give some good feed back. not looking to start anything on wich is a better boat. ive been around enough boats to know what is strong or not. the alaskan outboard model that i check out here is a 17 and the helm is way to low to even consider. I have to be able to stand up and work the wheel and throttle. thanks

He goes by TJM on this forum
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

S.E.XTREME,

I also live in Juneau. Well the Wooldrige is a 100% customizable boat. Want a taller windshield no problem.

Tanners Service Center in Douglas is a Wooldrige dealer, but you don't have to go through them, you can go Wooldrige direct. I have had more than my fair share of calls and emails with the Wooldridge crew over the years and they are very responsive. Jetcraft is not so responsive. I bet either boat will be in the $30k range.

For Juneau area rivers I really like my new SeaArk 1860 it was $8,500 for the new boat and trailer. I bought it from Rocky's Marine in Petersburg (AKfish1 on this forum) I had my own 90hp outboard (tiller). My cruise is 20-25mph and tops out at 35mph. I have been on a few sportjet boats and they are really fast so you can go places. I have never been on one but the Wooldridge Sport with the vee-bow would seem to be best for running the salt when getting to our rivers. Jetcraft makes other models than the XS which might be better for the salt portions of the journey. People are always getting pounded at the mouth of Berners Bay, or running to Taku or Snettisham. For a tank you might want to contact Svendsen Marine in Wrangell they can build you a sportjet as well at a competitive price, and don't forget to talk to Nate in the welding shop at Harri Plumbing and Heating. They are by Western Auto and he is building some great boats.

I have an older Jetcraft/Harbercraft Nahinni Landingcraft 220. It has survived a lot of abuse, it also has a super durable paint finish but it also has plenty of bubbling paint blisters where things have been bolted on like the factory stainless steel railings (I have been slowly sand blasting the finish to bare aluminum), so that would make me mad if I had bought her new and paid through the nose for her. Wooldrige has decals, and they seem easy/affordable to keep looking new and refresh when the time comes.

Sobie2

Wooldridge has done several Alaskan XL's with taller controls, dash or windshield. Just have to let them know what you want.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

sobie2, I have a cabin up the taku. I run a 26' phantom canyon runner up there. once there i use my mendehaller with a 90 etec pump for running around. Im not new to jet boats just looking to get into a sport jet for the speed and economy wich will allow me to go further up river than i do now. Not really wanting to build a custom boat just yet because there is a few good deals on some year olds that are new with warrenty saving close to ten grand. i might just have to make a trip to fairbanks and check out both the models im looking at.

There was an XL in Anchorage going really cheap. I'm 6'7", and in my Wooldridge Sport I installed a tilt helm which made a huge difference to being able to comfortably stand while operating.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

If its got a jmax pump go with the wooldrige sj if you can get the extreme shallow with the optimax go that route those things are amazing you can get on step im very little water
    Last edited by kylejohnson; 10-29-2013 at 20:34. Reason: misread

Either way (Wooldridge or Jetcraft) have the dealer install the new Wooldridge reverse bucket if you would like better performance on the Mercury 200HP optimax.

oh heck, my phantom can do that too, isn't that right T?

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I don't have either but this is the guy I'd talk to

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HD9r0Y7...%3DHD9r0Y7YCuE
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    oh heck, my phantom can do that too, isn't that right T?
    And in a sea ark predator too... All these boats preform all really close to each other. It's the guy driving who makes the difference.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Ya Ya big Mike I know, just trying to be Mr. Funny man. Can't wait till next year so we can do that again. This time I'm leading the way to the glacier...

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    And in a sea ark predator too... All these boats preform all really close to each other. It's the guy driving who makes the difference.

It doesn't matter what type of boat you have, if it has the optimax and sportjet pump and you are at all mechanically inclined, you can change out the buckets yourself. Its quite simple... You should Know how your pump and bucket work anyway and by changing the bucket, you will learn how it works. It easy and very good to know... definitely worth the money...

Quote Originally Posted by palasz View Post
    Either way (Wooldridge or Jetcraft) have the dealer install the new Wooldridge reverse bucket if you would like better performance on the Mercury 200HP optimax.