Thread: Is there any shore fishing in Homer 1st Week of November?

Default Is there any shore fishing in Homer 1st Week of November?

Is there any shore fishing in Homer 1st Week of November?

reason i ask is, I am driving to Kodiak and have a day wait on the "rusty tusty"

was thinking there might be a better way to spend time than sitting in a bar....

will have coolers and a freezer available so keeping catch edible is not a problem.

I appreciate any help,
    Chris

In Homer, there are at least a few choice. If you just want to catch fish, there seems to be pollock EVERYWHERE around the spit.

If you are looking for a chance at a real fish albeit on the slim side, I hooked two kings off my kayak that were easily within casting distance of the shoreline Saturday. I'd fish in front of the individual condos next to Land's end instead of right in front of the Hotel. If I could suspend herring under a bobber far enough out I might try that. the way to go might be casting large (but thin, like a Krockadile) spoon out and retrieving. If you do it all day long, I would not be surprised if you hooked a king or even two. I would think the pollock would keep you busy with something and they have been very clean fish. Odds aren't great, but if you are already there, it would certainly be worth the effort to try if the weather allows.

had to "adjust" travel plans. now will get there early afternoon, and have to check in with ferry by 7..

guess time for early dinner and maybe a relax nap

Thanks for all the help,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    In Homer, there are at least a few choice. If you just want to catch fish, there seems to be pollock EVERYWHERE around the spit.

If you are looking for a chance at a real fish albeit on the slim side, I hooked two kings off my kayak that were easily within casting distance of the shoreline Saturday. I'd fish in front of the individual condos next to Land's end instead of right in front of the Hotel. If I could suspend herring under a bobber far enough out I might try that. the way to go might be casting large (but thin, like a Krockadile) spoon out and retrieving. If you do it all day long, I would not be surprised if you hooked a king or even two. I would think the pollock would keep you busy with something and they have been very clean fish. Odds aren't great, but if you are already there, it would certainly be worth the effort to try if the weather allows.
    This is great info! I'd add fish the in coming tide, let your lure sink, vary your retrieves. I caught a 30lber a couple years back dialing in a steelhead bait casting set up with a 3/4 oz Pixie and 15lb Maxima. I wasn't even really trying to catch anything as I was trying to get my new Shimano Bait Caster dialed for yakutat!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    This is great info! I'd add fish the in coming tide, let your lure sink, vary your retrieves. I caught a 30lber a couple years back dialing in a steelhead bait casting set up with a 3/4 oz Pixie and 15lb Maxima. I wasn't even really trying to catch anything as I was trying to get my new Shimano Bait Caster dialed for yakutat!
    I'm surprised more folks don't try it given all of the folks I see fishing for pollock and cod on the other side during the summer.

Terrible 30 second video ( I only caught a 9 second clip for a whole SD card!) but I went 1 for 3 on Sunday (nov 3) with the kayak. But you can see where I hooked the fish. Keep in mind the gopros use a 180 deg wide angle lens so everything looks MUCH further out. A normal salmon rod with normal gear could have easily cast this far out I would think. I'm going to pack a surf rod with a few 3 to 10 oz casting lures in case water is too rough and I make the drive down next time.

I, like most fisherman, often don't give out specific fishing locations but I could use some more company here. Safety is one reason, but its so much more encouraging to a have a few folks around you catching fish. Pick the right day and you could do this fishery off a standup paddle board...if you were a little crazy. lol.

The reports have been great if you have a seaworthy boat around K-bay. But they are also close enough in that they can be targeted by "alternative" methods: Kayak, catacraft, surf casting, and who knows...float tube?

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I'm surprised more folks don't try it given all of the folks I see fishing for pollock and cod on the other side during the summer.

Terrible 30 second video ( I only caught a 9 second clip for a whole SD card!) but I went 1 for 3 on Sunday (nov 3) with the kayak. But you can see where I hooked the fish. Keep in mind the gopros use a 180 deg wide angle lens so everything looks MUCH further out. A normal salmon rod with normal gear could have easily cast this far out I would think. I'm going to pack a surf rod with a few 3 to 10 oz casting lures in case water is too rough and I make the drive down next time.

I, like most fisherman, often don't give out specific fishing locations but I could use some more company here. Safety is one reason, but its so much more encouraging to a have a few folks around you catching fish. Pick the right day and you could do this fishery off a standup paddle board...if you were a little crazy. lol.

The reports have been great if you have a seaworthy boat around K-bay. But they are also close enough in that they can be targeted by "alternative" methods: Kayak, catacraft, surf casting, and who knows...float tube?

Hay Kardinal !! Man thats awesome!! good for you!! Hay listen!! If you ever want to flip your kayak in my boat and run out west with me, we can flip ya back in the water on location, and all give ya ride back when the day is done?? pretty amazing how your takin those kings!! i like the safety of my boat, but if you wanna change the scenery some day all give ya a lift ! under stand it my defeat the point of what your doing but just throwing it out there!! would be fun to fish around you some day and film

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    Hay Kardinal !! Man thats awesome!! good for you!! Hay listen!! If you ever want to flip your kayak in my boat and run out west with me, we can flip ya back in the water on location, and all give ya ride back when the day is done?? pretty amazing how your takin those kings!! i like the safety of my boat, but if you wanna change the scenery some day all give ya a lift ! under stand it my defeat the point of what your doing but just throwing it out there!! would be fun to fish around you some day and film
    Wow...thank you very much for your generous offer. I would accept simply to be able to chat fish with you for a few minutes. Your reputation for hammering these kings is well known!!

Likewise, it might be a different perspective to possibly get a good shot from water level of a few fish caught on the boat I'd be happy to share if we could pull it off.
    I've never directly launched from a boat but I'm sure we can figure something out. They are pretty stable.

I'm out to catch fish pretty much anyway that I can. The kayak is a means for me to do it solo since my decision of going or not always seems to be last minute. It's also easy on the finances. Love the fuel bill. But I'm definitely not married to any style, shape or form of fishing...it just has to be FISHING!!!

I will get you my contact info. Once again, thank you for the offer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD