Thread: Crossing Clear Creek

Default Crossing Clear Creek

If you take the gravel pit trail to the creek, whats on the other side? Can you get to Papa Bear? Katie? Sockeye?

I have seen machines at the outlet of Sockeye before. Was wondering how they got that far.

Anyone?

Doug?

PM me if you don't want to post in public. That works too.

Over 350 views and not one reply.....

Is there nobody who can help shed some light on my question?

Where do all the snowmachine tracks on my lake come from in the winter? I know the guy next to me gets out to his cabin with one from the tracks in his yard. From the power lines? Up the hill from the River? (Not sure I like that idea.) I'd ask him, but I have still never seen him (her??). I'm also not so sure I'd go knocking on the guys door down by the outlet either. I'm sure he likes his privacy as much as I like mine.

Flying in every time might be good for the bank account over at K2, but its hell on my wallet. Looking for reasonable discussion on alternatives.

Anyone else ever go to Sockeye Lake? Even if just passing through???

Nope, I don't know, however I just figured out you were referring to the Clear Creek to the Northeast of Talkeetna. There are lots of creeks with that name in Alaska, and you cannot assume people know where you are referring to.

Also, you posted this in the ATV section, not the snow machine section. I'm guessing accessing Sockeye Lake would be MUCH more feasible in the winter than the summer. With the railroad bridge being the only main artery across the river, that alone is a limiting factor.

A couple ideas would be to charter a cub on a clear day in the winter and follow those snow machine tracks. You could also heli drop a snow machine at your cabin in the winter and ride out following the tracks.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    Nope, I don't know, however I just figured out you were referring to the Clear Creek to the Northeast of Talkeetna. There are lots of creeks with that name in Alaska, and you cannot assume people know where you are referring to.

Also, you posted this in the ATV section, not the snow machine section. I'm guessing accessing Sockeye Lake would be MUCH more feasible in the winter than the summer. With the railroad bridge being the only main artery across the river, that alone is a limiting factor.

A couple ideas would be to charter a cub on a clear day in the winter and follow those snow machine tracks. You could also heli drop a snow machine at your cabin in the winter and ride out following the tracks.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the feedback.

I have thought of helidropping a machine. Its not far from the airstrip. I'd like to try to avoid the expense if possible because I could use the money for a lot of other things. However, options are surely limited.

I see folks crossing the bridge on wheelers a lot. I think most of them run up the Chase trail and possibly some of them own land east of the gravel pit. Thats the direction I was thinking was possibly plausable, might just have to hike it. Right now I am stuck in NY for the winter with my dogs. Looks like most of these answers will come after the thaw, but I am trying to gather as much information as possible before I decide the best way to proceed.