Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kincaid Park Archery Moose Hunt

Default Kincaid Park Archery Moose Hunt

Who agrees there should be a registration archery hunt at Kincaid? I do.

I don't know about registration - the allocation of permits would be yet another zoo of camping out overnight in front of the office, etc. I'd think a drawing permit for a short hunt would make a lot of sense.

Put in a proposal for the next Board of Game cycle. For better chances of it being adopted, bring it before the Anchorage AC to get their support behind the proposal.

Im against any "hunting" in kincad park. A couple (edited) do something stupid and now we have a moose "problem"? Kincaid doesnt have a moose problem. Give it a few weeks and the media will move onto something else. Heck, its almost time to hear about a black friday stomping....
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 10-28-2013 at 12:27. Reason: language

Registration hunt would not be a good idea. There would be a hunter every 100yards. It would be chaos. Just like deer hunting in southern Michigan. A limited draw would be great. Theres definitely enough moose in the park but I just don't see it happening with all the libs. They wont even let us use the motocross track for snowmachine's

I took this footage in two separate days in Kincaid last year. I might have been in there a total of 4 hours. I would say theres plenty of moose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZpL4K_fWRA

Just because there are a few moose there doesn't mean we have to "hunt" them. It wouldn't even be a hunt, if you want to go shoot something then go hunt a high fence hunt. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Nice video btw, I love the opening scene. Prime example of getting too close. Or is it to close?

The real question is, what camo pattern would you guys wear? Cyclist? nature hiker? Or do you go balls deep and wear your Sitka or kuiu?

I concur.. Seeings how my wife was charged at.. and on the archery range of all places!

akrstabout may have instigated the situation a little tho lol!

I am totally for a drawing permit archery hunt in Kincaid. Have a weekend or two set aside and close off a portion of the park and have at it. The little amount of time I spend in that park I've seen more bulls than my entire life growing up in unit 15c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

A cow hunt could be supported (hand thrown spear only), areas along the highways should be more a target for population control then in Kincaid.

Quote Originally Posted by dbooth View Post
    Who agrees there should be a registration archery hunt at Kincaid? I do.
    I don't agree. How embarrassing would that be?!

Bob:
    Hey bro, which part of wild Alaska did you get your moose this year?

dbooth:

In the middle of a city of 300,000 people. It was one wild hunt man.....hardest hunt I've ever been on. Even had to track the wounded moose clear through to the airport. He eventually took his last arrow over in the north terminal overnight parking. Man that was a wild hunt!

LAME!

Pitching a registration hunt idea right in the middle of the largest anti-hunter park?

With the amount of traffic, there's no way it could be executed safely without some major public outcry. Not to mention anti hunters stumbling upon a kill site or watching a hunter butcher a moose on the frisbee golf course.

I wouldn't see this going well. Black eye in the making.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Mainer_in_ak,
    I TOTALLY disagree with your view. I have hunted caribou 150 miles north of Kotzebue, mountain goats on Kodiak, stika blacktail on Barnoff Island, DC001, sheep in the Chugach, and many more.......these have been the toughest, most extreme, and most expensive hunts I have been on. I have also hunted moose in Creamer's Field in Fairbanks and was successful. I am just as proud of the moose hunt in Creamer's field than the goat hunt on Kodiak or the caribou in unit 7. I will tell anyone who asks that I killed that moose 1/8 of a mile from the road AND it fell in a snow machine trail. We butchered it and packed it in the truck in three hours...It may not be the extreme 10 day moose hunt in the middle of backcountry Alaska, but it is my hunt and my memory AND it filled three family's freezers......If a moose hunt was open in Kincaid Park I would totally be proud if I drew the tag for it and would not be embarrassed one bit. Oh, it would not be lame either. If it was a spike fork I would be even more proud and I would be back at the house that evening to spend with my family....they could even go with!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I don't agree. How embarrassing would that be?!

Bob:
    Hey bro, which part of wild Alaska did you get your moose this year?

dbooth:

In the middle of a city of 300,000 people. It was one wild hunt man.....hardest hunt I've ever been on. Even had to track the wounded moose clear through to the airport. He eventually took his last arrow over in the north terminal overnight parking. Man that was a wild hunt!

LAME!

Why would you be more proud of a spike fork? Less meat man way less meat for just about the same effort.
    i don't believe a hunt there will ever exist.

I agree a drawing would be better. GAFC...I agree with you as well.

TWB, A bow only drawing would be extremely safe.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Pitching a registration hunt idea right in the middle of the largest anti-hunter park?

With the amount of traffic, there's no way it could be executed safely without some major public outcry. Not to mention anti hunters stumbling upon a kill site or watching a hunter butcher a moose on the frisbee golf course.

I wouldn't see this going well. Black eye in the making.
    This is the most probable outcome without a doubt!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

A restricted hunt in Kincaid might get more support from park users than one would think... I know many users that are not typicaly pro hunting types, but nearly all have expressed a willingness for some sort of moose reduction plan, and many have even voiced casual support for a hunt to thin them out. I get the feeling that moose versus park user encounters is alarger issue than is commonly believed. If nothing is done the preditor vaccume will be filled by bears... i doubt that they will be worried about public image..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I hunted ducks down in the refuge for years and accessed it via the main trail. Never did I have any issues with negative comments coming out in full camo carrying a gun, and often times the questions were more along the lines of "did you have a successful hunt?" There were many times when people made comments assuming we were hunting moose rather than ducks. This hunt could be a success if it was conducted the right way. I remember a couple years ago the "outrage" over the powerline pass/flat top shotgun moose hunt, don't recall hearing anything since they actually began the hunt.

Kincaid has a very hig number of moose in it and they do present a safety issue for some users. Many mornings spent waiting along trails or slipping away in order to avoid them. If you want to get your adrenaline pumping, walk down from the chalet at oh dark thirty in the morning with a very active bird dog and a headlamp, not only will the hair on the back of the moose stand up, so will yours.

I would love to see the hunt - in a draw fashion. The only thing that I would be concerned with is leaving a big gut pile for a bear to sit on next to a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    The only thing that I would be concerned with is leaving a big gut pile for a bear to sit on next to a trail.
    There's no reason that a requirement couldn't be added mandating removal of all bones and organs as well. Yeah, it would be a pain to do so, but with a game cart or something of the sort it would be doable (and would cut down on the number of applicants).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast