Thread: Homer halibuts/Fishing lagoon?

Default Homer halibuts/Fishing lagoon?

Wondering how the king fishing in the fishin hole is and if theres chicken halibut in front of seldovia or places within a couple of miles of port that our 16' can handle

Thumbs up homer fishing in a small boat...

fishing is picking up in the lagoon. fish outside the hole on the ebb, inside on the flood, and watch the people who are catching fish...do what they do.
    seldovia is too far for you...13 miles or more.
    anchor off the bar just north of the green can west of the end of the spit. find the drop-off and you should get a few fish. probably less than a mile.
    make sure you have a VHF.
    good luck
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

got any other locations/what are the depths? we want to be able to pick up 3-6 butts from 5-1000 lbs each, weight doesnt matter

leaving tomorow need some info please- nick// How have the seens been/ are expected to be in the next couple days? (Hopefully glass(

thanks for the info homer, our boat should be able to take 2 foot seas correct? and can you plot on a map a couple of fishing locations for any size halibut within 3 miles of port? it would be helpful and much appreciated

Wink can't get more specific...

not 'cause i won't, just 'cause i have never fished for halibut in the bay.
    sayak suggested over by gull island, i have seen folks fishing just to the W and NW, but based on your trepidation over sea height i don't know if you should head across the bay.
    leave the harbor and go around the end of the spit to the green can (the big green bouy marking the approach to the spit) find the drop-off and anchor so you are fishing in 80-120' of water....
    do you have a VHF and a depth finder?

Yeah vhf, depth, fish finder, couple halibut rigs, just never been to homer

So youve seen butts caught there this time of year? and do you think we can limit out with 3 people?

leaving today, need info! also we dont have an anchor, but i dont think its neccessary?

Looking for a good place that a group of 3 people can limit out on small halibut from a 16' boat within a couple miles of shore, somone please answer

Default Jeezuz

try on the bottom for cryin out load - and take a friggin anchor!!!

try exploring the area for yourself

You ask for a weather report and fishing locations on an Internet forum...do you have any idea of boating the big water at all?

if I was you - I'd find the nearest Coast Guard Auxillary Unit and get a free saftety check. Better to be safe than a statisic.

Exclamation Be Safe!!!

you NEED an anchor!!!!
    let's say your motor floods, you are a mile off the spit in a 20 knot daybreeze.....the shore break is 3', and you are being blown into the seawall...
    what do you do?
    YOU THROW OUT THE ANCHOR!!!!
    Fishwhacker, i wanna help you , but you GOTTA find real-world (as in not on a forum) mentor, or you are going to get in over your head....soon.

We have an anchor... just not a very long one, 100ft. So I guess we'll be fishing the shallows

Stop at B&J or Marita Sea & Ski and buy some rope. Get at least 200 more feet to add to your anchor line. Easy fix.

Default Salvage rights?

I need to read up on 'em....

Might be a new boat in someone's future....

Fishwacker..Make sure you have an anchor capable of holding you in place, not some Wal Mart 5lb job. And fer chrissakes, if you all can afford a computer, a boat, and all the associated gear...Go buy enough QUALITY line for the anchor, and make SURE you have a minimum of 10 ft. of anchor chain.

As to all this information about locations to fish and advice...Keep in mind, it's the internet, the advice is free, and you get what you pay for. The advice you have been offered here, regardless of price is sage and sound. I think a few of us are concerned that you are focused more on fishwhackin' than you are on pertinent issue's like weather, sea conditions, and basic boating safety....

Remember the first 3 rules ANYtime you are on the water in Alaska are:
    1. SAFETY
    2.SAFETY
    3.SAFETY

There ain't a fish in the WORLD worth your life, and if you focus on JUST "where do I go?" and let safety and know-how become secondary, your gonna be in a world of hurt faster than you can say "The motor just died".

Best of luck to you.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Holy Hats!!!!

DUDE!!! A skiff? You're only moderately SAFE bet is go out of Deep Creek or Ninilchik; you need life vests, an easily inflatable raft, flares, a radio (you can rent a hand held VHF or borrow one) Extra clothing... you seem very unprepared with a short rope for Anchoring... If I were you I'd visit www.wunderground.com and enter in Homer Alaska for the location and view the weather advisories and other stuff; they have Nautical forecasts as well.

As a side note, you may want to ask your friends if they are willing to "learn" with you instead of "fish" with you... this is going to be a learning experience to say the least. Best of luck to you man.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32