Thread: .223 nosler partitions

Default .223 nosler partitions

Anyone shooting these? I can't seem to get better than about 1.5 MOA with them. I've shot other bullets we'll under that in the same gun.

So far I've tried Accurate 2230, benchmark an dime-4064 (it was on the bench and I figured what the heck...)

Oddly enough I can't get them to shoot much better in my .375 either, I'm shooting the .300 grain version out of that gun and so far the best I can do is about 1.3 MOA with Imr-4064, also tried Imr4350, rl-15. Might try rl-17 next, maybe accurate 4350?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yea, same here. I've tried Tac, varget, 2230, 4320, rl15, and a few others in 223 with no better than 1.5 or 2 moa for some reason. Never tried seating them past mag length though. I have few hundred of them waiting for me to find a good recipe. Winter is a good time to mess with 223 for me...

i have good luck with partitions in my 308, 30-06, and 338 though. My R-15 just doesn't seem to like them.

I dont have any experience with the 375...hodgden website says H4350, imr4350, w760 should work. that is for 375 H&H. Looks like TAC and Big Game would do it also..

I shoot 223 partitions and get excellant results, Benchmark, 23.5
    In my 375, 300 gr Partitions with 75 IMR 4350, not SUPER accurate, but we're talking about a 300 gr partition hitting a large mammal, not a varmit gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Yea, same here. I've tried Tac, varget, 2230, 4320, rl15, and a few others in 223 with no better than 1.5 or 2 moa for some reason. Never tried seating them past mag length though. I have few hundred of them waiting for me to find a good recipe. Winter is a good time to mess with 223 for me...

i have good luck with partitions in my 308, 30-06, and 338 though. My R-15 just doesn't seem to like them.

I dont have any experience with the 375...hodgden website says H4350, imr4350, w760 should work. that is for 375 H&H. Looks like TAC and Big Game would do it also..
    Thanks for the info, for what its worth, I just got Noslers bonded solid base to shoot about .75 MOA with AA2240, I think that bullet will be just as good a wolf bullet as the partition anyhow, I just figured I have a couple hundred of these partitions and I'm either going to find a good load or shoot 'em up trying!

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    I shoot 223 partitions and get excellant results, Benchmark, 23.5
    In my 375, 300 gr Partitions with 75 IMR 4350, not SUPER accurate, but we're talking about a 300 gr partition hitting a large mammal, not a varmit gun.
    Thanks for the details with benchmark, i'll have to double check my data and see if I tried anything close to that.

In the .375 I was figuring if I couldn't find anything better i'd load up the 1.3 MOA load and shoot it some more. I am also trying to test loads with a 6X scope which is a change for me so that may just be as good as it gets!

1.3 sounds like alot. check the bedding (action) screws. try taking the action screw out 1 turn and the trigger (back action) in one turn, see if there's a change. Also, realistically, 1.3 at 100, 2.6 and 200, and 3.9 at 300 OK, a 4 inch group at 300 from a big boomer, yeah I'd hunt it.

The 223 load is max according to Nosler, no signs in my 223, no reason to push harder or faster. just my .02

What gun are you shooting in the 223?? SOME barrels are 1:14 (standard 22 twist) the 223/5.56 was a 1:12; hence the Nosler 60 partition. Some 223s are slower twist and probably won't shoot longer bullets well. Think about the new 223/5.56 1:8 or so for the heavier (longer) bullets. Most barrel makers would twist a 22 caliber in 1:14 - that was and is standard for 22. So, depending on what you've got, you may have a twist issue. Again, food for thought.

I bought a Tikka 223 1:8 couldn't get it to shoot the 60 partitions, gave it to my son, bought a SAKO and she LOVES the load. go figure.....

1.3 sounds like alot. check the bedding (action) screws. try taking the action screw out 1 turn and the trigger (back action) in one turn, see if there's a change. Also, realistically, 1.3 at 100, 2.6 and 200, and 3.9 at 300 OK, a 4 inch group at 300 from a big boomer, yeah I'd hunt it.

The 223 load is max according to Nosler, no signs in my 223, no reason to push harder or faster. just my .02

What gun are you shooting in the 223?? SOME barrels are 1:14 (standard 22 twist) the 223/5.56 was a 1:12; hence the Nosler 60 partition. Some 223s are slower twist and probably won't shoot longer bullets well. Think about the new 223/5.56 1:8 or so for the heavier (longer) bullets. Most barrel makers would twist a 22 caliber in 1:14 - that was and is standard for 22. So, depending on what you've got, you may have a twist issue. Again, food for thought.

I bought a Tikka 223 1:8 couldn't get it to shoot the 60 partitions, gave it to my son, bought a SAKO and she LOVES the load. go figure.....
    Thanks for the thoughts, the .375 is shooting other loads sub MOA so I think the gun is fine, it seems to have a preference for 250 grain bullets, both Sierra spire point and TTSX have been great. Since the 300 grain partition was going to be my bear load anyway, I think 1.3 MOA will do.

My .223 is a custom built AR with a 1-8" bull barrel, but so I'm good there, it shoots 69gr Sierra match kings under .5 MOA.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 69 Matchking is weighted much different than the Nosler Partition. The matchking is a HP bullet with all of it's weight to the rear of the bullet. The Nosler has almost as much bullet forward as it does to the rear, the weight distribution of the bullet could require a different twist based on launch velocities. If the .375 likes 250 grn bullets and doesn't like 300 grn bullets consider using a 270 grn bullet which is a standard weight for .375 caliber rifles, you might obtain the best of both worlds; accuracy and increased bullet weight.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'm not shooting the partition but I am shooting the 64 grain bonded Nosler. 23.3 grains of VV N-135 goes 2,688fps from a 16" barrel - 1:7 twist and will print right at an inch at 100 yards. Velocity was tested in 30*F tempertures at 900 feet above sea level.

I haven't worked much with that particular bullet but I think if I push a little harder it should group a tad tighter.

You might want to look at the Berger OTM 77 grain - fairly tough bullet and in my rifle I can get fairly consistent 0.6" groups (5-shot) rested using a 30X scope w/extra fine crosshairs. I would think your 1:8 twist would handle 77 grains well. The load is 20.5 grains VV N-135 going 2,259 fps. Velocity was tested in 30*F tempertures at 900 feet above sea level. This bullet along with the 77 grain SMK are the only bullets I can get to shoot like this in my rifle. The 69 grain SMK shoots well, but is closer to 0.9" and only likes 24.5 grains of H4895 in my rifle with Varget a close second.

Haven't found anything worthwhile yet in 52 or 55 grain weights.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    I'm not shooting the partition but I am shooting the 64 grain bonded Nosler. 23.3 grains of VV N-135 goes 2,688fps from a 16" barrel - 1:7 twist and will print right at an inch at 100 yards. Velocity was tested in 30*F tempertures at 900 feet above sea level.

I haven't worked much with that particular bullet but I think if I push a little harder it should group a tad tighter.

You might want to look at the Berger OTM 77 grain - fairly tough bullet and in my rifle I can get fairly consistent 0.6" groups (5-shot) rested using a 30X scope w/extra fine crosshairs. I would think your 1:8 twist would handle 77 grains well. The load is 20.5 grains VV N-135 going 2,259 fps. Velocity was tested in 30*F tempertures at 900 feet above sea level. This bullet along with the 77 grain SMK are the only bullets I can get to shoot like this in my rifle. The 69 grain SMK shoots well, but is closer to 0.9" and only likes 24.5 grains of H4895 in my rifle with Varget a close second.

Haven't found anything worthwhile yet in 52 or 55 grain weights.
    Thanks for the info on the Bergers, I haven't shot any of their bullets so i'll have to check those out. I was thinking 77gr. my be my next experiment so i'll definitely give those a look.

I'm starting to wonder if the 1-7 and 1-8 just don't stabilize the lighter bullets well, seems to be mixed opinion on that. Can't seem to get under MOA with anything under 62 grains so perhaps there is something to it?

Figured i'd update with my progress on the .375H&H front:

I finally got my hands on some Win760 and managed a .75 MOA 3-shot group, 1.4 MOA 5 shots with a minimum charge of the WIN760. I think that will do for now.

The 60 grain partitions in the .223 i've given up on completely, anyone want to buy them, i'll make you a great deal!

How many of the 60 gr partitions and for how much, I am in georgia so shipping will be ridiculous I'm sure, Probably cheaper to put it in Post Office flat rate box???

Hmmmph. I just started working on a 60gr Partition load. I was using VV N133 and am only getting around 1.5" groups, I have 55gr loads that do under an inch with Varget and Midway brand bullets. This doesn't give me much hope for much better. We'll see. Almost out of Varget and haven't seen any in a while.

How many of the 60 gr partitions and for how much, I am in georgia so shipping will be ridiculous I'm sure, Probably cheaper to put it in Post Office flat rate box???
    I'll check and see what's left, got to be a full box or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    Hmmmph. I just started working on a 60gr Partition load. I was using VV N133 and am only getting around 1.5" groups, I have 55gr loads that do under an inch with Varget and Midway brand bullets. This doesn't give me much hope for much better. We'll see. Almost out of Varget and haven't seen any in a while.
    We'll I'm sure you know every gun is different so hopefully you'll did something they like. I tried about 4-5 powders before I have up.

I think I tried a similar number of posers in my .375 before finding the magic one that worked.

If you can't get them to work, give their bonded protected point a try. I got great results with those using accurate 2230 and I think they'll be close to as tough as the partition.