Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WOW.....this will NOT lower ammo prices.....Could triple

Default WOW.....this will NOT lower ammo prices.....Could triple

Could a brick of 22 Long Rifle ammo be $250.00 by 2015............???

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/ar...-december.aspx

I guess I better get a few more buckets of wheel weights while I still have the chance.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Probably get cheaper now as it will all be made overseas and they will cut each others throats to get the sale.

I think you are correct, and people would be wise to hold off buying ammo for 24 months or so till the price drops. I see Walmart and Sportsman's have already got full shelves and prices are back to 2010 prices.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    Probably get cheaper now as it will all be made overseas and they will cut each others throats to get the sale.

There are a number of cases in various American metals businesses where companies are hanging on that haven't been globally competitive in several years. They are able to keep going for awhile by only producing what has been allocated to particular consumers for negotiated prices.

Here in Alaska the oil business has done a lot to keep domestic metals producers going by continuing to specify their products for repairs and new construction. Other industries such as commercial fishing are primarily consumers of metals from Asia. Even many large government projects like the concourse C expansion at Anchorage International and the new VA healthcare building have used imported metals where domestic metals are not only available but superior.

This whole situation saddens me. We are a country with half of folks receiving government subsidies of some sort, meanwhile we are killing our industries with taxes and regulation. How long can we expect to prosper if we don't produce anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    There are a number of cases in various American metals businesses where companies are hanging on that haven't been globally competitive in several years. They are able to keep going for awhile by only producing what has been allocated to particular consumers for negotiated prices.

Here in Alaska the oil business has done a lot to keep domestic metals producers going by continuing to specify their products for repairs and new construction. Other industries such as commercial fishing are primarily consumers of metals from Asia. Even many large government projects like the concourse C expansion at Anchorage International and the new VA healthcare building have used imported metals where domestic metals are not only available but superior.

This whole situation saddens me. We are a country with half of folks receiving government subsidies of some sort, meanwhile we are killing our industries with taxes and regulation. How long can we expect to prosper if we don't produce anything?
    In my line of business we are down to 1 US manufacturer that still uses steel from America, which require due to its superior quality, not much of a competitive bidding process any more...

I guess my largest fear is that if most ammo or ammo metals are dependent on the supreme ruler NOT issuing an executive order banning importation and/or an some country saying we will put an export tax on ammo to America as a way to balance their need for money

Isn't govt regulation great. Now we get rid of all that toxic lead laying around and our problems are solved. But, wait a minute, what are we going to do about all that lead that is still in the ground unmined. How does life continue with all that lead in the ground. We should scoop it all up and shoot it into space where it came from. Or has it always been on earth? I'm so confused. Please Big Govt, come fix all my problems so I can have the cradle to grave security I'm entiteled to. And don't forget global warming or cooling or what ever it is today. Where's the social justice? Please Big Govt, help me,help me, I'm stupid. I think I'm going to get a small cal flint lock and do my practice/plinking in a dirt bank where I can recover the lead. Wouldn't want that lead to get back into the ground where it came from and poison everyone.

So....things are really going south......My brother-in-law is a millwright here in Canada....he worked for Walter Energy, a US company that mined coal in BC. They just closed their doors for similar reasons......I hope China steps in. The US Govt has gone off the deep end, and its hurting a lot of countries.

This administration, and the EPA for quite some time has been hostile to mining. Many people have and will continue to lose their jobs due to this hostility. That's OK, I guess, since they can just go on government assistance... which might be the underlying goal to begin with. Kind of like pricing people out of their insurance policies so they have to become dependent on a single payer system. Control is the objective.

I have lots of lead lying around, but looks lie I'd better be looking for more. Of course, the Feds could just ban lead projectiles like California has done.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    This administration, and the EPA for quite some time has been hostile to mining. Many people have and will continue to lose their jobs due to this hostility. That's OK, I guess, since they can just go on government assistance... which might be the underlying goal to begin with. Kind of like pricing people out of their insurance policies so they have to become dependent on a single payer system. Control is the objective.

I have lots of lead lying around, but looks lie I'd better be looking for more. Of course, the Feds could just ban lead projectiles like California has done.
    So true.....to bad too because the country has started down a path that it will never recover from.

Our conventional ammo will dry up real soon once this news breaks.....likely a lot faster than it will in the US. Prices for the Non lead bullets will surely skyrocket. With any luck we will still be able to get Woodleighs.......Wonder how quick the smaller companies like Alaska Bullet Works will feel the crunch???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I guess my largest fear is that if most ammo or ammo metals are dependent on the supreme ruler NOT issuing an executive order banning importation and/or an some country saying we will put an export tax on ammo to America as a way to balance their need for money
    ^this. Truthfully, I'm surprised it's not already signed. Maybe more to it, but this would be huge if/when it happens.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Manufactures will just import lead from other countries. Any smelting plants in Canada or Mexico? It might result in the prices going up a little but triple? No way. You sure like to preach doom and gloom. Shelves are all ready starting to fill up with powder and primers and even rimfire ammo. It is slowly getting better just as people predicted it would. Price of AR's are now back to their prices they were 15 months ago as well.

Yeah, lets just import everything! That's a great answer! Coal, precious metals, petroleum, now lead... (not to mention all the other stuff that used to be made in this great country but the unions and government have priced or regulated out of business).

We have these commodities in abundance but our government is hostile toward allowing them to be removed from the ground, so we depend upon other nations for them. Dependency. I thought we were trying to be independent! America is becoming a nation of dependency.

So what happens when the government tells us we can't shoot lead anymore? I believe that is where this is actually going. But tell me what the view is like down there with your head in the sand.

So what happens when the government tells us we can't shoot lead anymore? I believe that is where this is actually going.
    I think you're right. It's been looking like that for a while. Since 91 anyway. I've noticed, while down here visiting family (FL) that the local Mallwarts et al have NO lead sinkers on the shelves. None. Everything is steel and HUGE. So where I used to a use a 1/8 oz lead bullet weight atop a plastic worm, which was the same size as the worm and looked like its head, I would now have to buy a steel weight twice as big. Thank God I still have all of my late father's bass fishing equipment. We're going that way with outboard motors, too.

Anyway, you guys just wait until ammo for your guns becomes a special internet-only item, as it is for all my pre 64 shotguns. Welcome to my world. (Just ordered another $300 worth to carry back on the plane.)

On a side note, I wonder if one could break open a car battery case, using baking soda/water to neutralize the acid, and "harvest" the lead plates.

I could see that happening...they'll say it's to save the eagles, since we don't have any condors up here.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I think you're right. It's been looking like that for a while. Since 91 anyway. I've noticed, while down here visiting family (FL) that the local Mallwarts et al have NO lead sinkers on the shelves. None. Everything is steel and HUGE. So where I used to a use a 1/8 oz lead bullet weight atop a plastic worm, which was the same size as the worm and looked like its head, I would now have to buy a steel weight twice as big. Thank God I still have all of my late father's bass fishing equipment. We're going that way with outboard motors, too.

Anyway, you guys just wait until ammo for your guns becomes a special internet-only item, as it is for all my pre 64 shotguns. Welcome to my world. (Just ordered another $300 worth to carry back on the plane.)

On a side note, I wonder if one could break open a car battery case, using baking soda/water to neutralize the acid, and "harvest" the lead plates.

Alot of people do this. I use to do it for my muzzle loader it is a fun hobby. Old wheel weights work too. Often if you go to tire stores they have buckets full of old unsuable wheel weights and will give them to you for free. All you need is a furnace like the one below and pick your style mold (which are cheap). and a lead spoon or scooper to pour it into the mold. It is very easy and fun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/645...rnace-110-volt

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Alot of people do this. I use to do it for my muzzle loader it is a fun hobby. Old wheel weights work too. Often if you go to tire stores they have buckets full of old unsuable wheel weights and will give them to you for free. All you need is a furnace like the one below and pick your style mold (which are cheap). and a lead spoon or scooper to pour it into the mold. It is very easy and fun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/645...rnace-110-volt
    Interesting, didn't realize you could neutralize it that easily, makes sense, just never thought about it before!

Go ask the guys at the cast bullet forum about trying to salvage lead from batteries. Most agree it's a huge no no. I suspect lead will be banned within a decade or two.

And I agree we should use our resources instead of importing them. But since the last smelting plant was closed there is no other choice that I am aware of.

Free wheel weights for the asking? Go out and try it sometime. Unless you know the shop manager your chances are super slim. If memory serves me right they also quit making wheel weights out of lead and now they are made of zinc.

If lead became illegal to shoot, would you still shoot it?
    I am glad to see many Democrat congressmen opposing the UN arms treaty, but would they stand up for shooters, hunters and other owners of firearms when it comes to owning and firing a substance many consider to be an environmental hazard; dangerous to all? Not so sure they would. I think the days of lead as a cheap and practical material for projectiles is coming to an end... unless shooters and the states assert themselves.
    Without a ready supply of lead bullets, many shooters would have to give up shooting, as alternative materials are pricey and there is not an endless supply of old tire weights and such.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast