Thread: Macerator Pumps

Default Macerator Pumps

Both the fish holds on our boat have macerator pumps that pump out the holds and both pumps died this summer. I have rebuilt the pump portion of one of them twice and it just never worked right again. I have come to the conclusion that the motor is bad on the pump now. The second pump died while I was pouring RV antifreeze in it last week. Both of theses pumps are located in very hard to reach areas of the boat and I don't want to have to spend hours getting at these things every summer. So now my question... what is the best pump to buy. The Jabsco versions I have not will be getting pulled and replaced and I want to put good ones back in.

What I am not looking forward to is replacing the one on the holding tank... thankfully it has not died yet.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

They are all about the same. Why don't you relocate the pump.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Both the fish holds on our boat have macerator pumps that pump out the holds and both pumps died this summer. The Jabsco versions I have not will be getting pulled and replaced and I want to put good ones back in.
    I have the same boat with the same Jabsco pumps. My port side fish box pump went out this summer and I seriously considered switching both sides to Whale Gulper diaphragm pumps. I probably should have but it would have required drilling bigger exit holes in the boat. They sound like a much better choice for a permanent solution. Instead a replacement Jabsco was put in, so I expect to do it again in a couple seasons.

Deak

The port on is easy, my starboard one died and I am no looking forward to changing that one out. You can barely see it down in that hole under the battery.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    They are all about the same. Why don't you relocate the pump.
    Not really another place to put them, they have to be gravity fed from the fish box so they have to be lower than the boxes.

I looked at the whale grouper gulper pumps today and I think that is what I am going to go with. I need to check the hose sizes on my boat but I think I can make it work either way. I want to check to see if I can plumb my two fishboxes thru the same pump as well, would be nice to just have one pump take care of both. The only thing I worry about is the fluid transfering between the two boxes if I tie them together. I use one fish hold for dry storage and one for fish and glacier Ice and I don't want the water and fish good making the trip to the "dry" box... Even if I have to buy two of the gulpers (on sale on Defender right now) I would still be ahead as the current ones don't last more than a year or two...

I have been using the Jabsco macerator pump in my fish box.
    Every year or two I am either rebuilding or replacing it.
    I did not know about the Whale Gulper pump until today.
    Has anyone here been using this pump for a while?
    Any reviews out there?
    Thanks,
    Ken (Tiderunner)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderunner View Post
    I have been using the Jabsco macerator pump in my fish box.
    Every year or two I am either rebuilding or replacing it.
    I did not know about the Whale Gulper pump until today.
    Has anyone here been using this pump for a while?
    Any reviews out there?
    Thanks,
    Ken (Tiderunner)

I did a bit of research and it seems they get positive comments on The Hull Truth and other boat forums. Guys say they will pump sardines and tuna scales out of the fish hold. As soon as I get home I am checking the hose sizes on my boat and ordering some pumps.

It might be easier pulling the floor up. The fuel tank brackets have been breaking so it's worth a look anyway. Keep us posted on what you come up with. Photo's would be nice

Well I finally did it, I replaced both fish box pumps with Whale Gulper Grouper pumps and I could not be happier. It took drilling a couple new mounting holes but other than that all the hoses hooked right up to the pumps. The pumps work better than the old ones and suck the holds dry. Have not used them a bunch but for the water and random crap that gets in my fishboxes they have worked great. Got them online for about $240 each so its not a cheap swap, but the crappy Jabasco's on it are about $180... so assuming these last for a couple of years I will be $$ ahead. I will try and grab some photos next time I am on the boat.

All i ever used in my fish hold was a regular rule bilge pump, in 20 years i went through 3 pumps so using a nice big Rule or Johnson bilge pump should work for you guys. I slush iced all my fish and never had any problems.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692