Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more Kenai bears.

Default No more Kenai bears.

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

interesting. No ADFG EO yet
    NRA life Member JVJ

It's the feds shutting down hunting on the Refuge. You can still hunt on state/public lands.

Press Release: October 25, 2013Contact: Doug Vincent-Lang, Division Director, Anchorage, (907) 267-2339State Disappointed with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Decision to Close Brown Bear Hunting on the Kenai Peninsula(Juneau) – The State of Alaska is disappointed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service decision to use emergency authority to close national wildlife refuge lands on the Kenai Peninsula to the taking of brown bears.“This action is an unnecessary and unjustified preemption of state hunting regulations," said Doug Vincent-Lang, Director of the Division of Wildlife Conservation. "The state regulations were developed by the Alaska Board of Game in an open public process and addressed increasing numbers of bears, public concerns over increased human-bear interactions, and are consistent with the state constitution’s requirement for sustainable populations."Vincent-Lang added, “The current harvest of bears this year is not unexpected and does not represent a viability concern. Once again we are faced with overreach by the federal government into the management of Alaska’s wildlife.”Because viability of bears is not a concern, non-refuge lands on the Kenai Peninsula normally open to hunting will remain open to brown bear harvest.
    .http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...2013_kenaibear

Wow... and the pissing match continues

Probably just closes the Refuge, not the rest of the peninsula so no need for an EO.

Our government at work

Quote Originally Posted by hunterelk2002 View Post
    Our government at work
    Is that what they call that....???.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    Wow... and the pissing match continues
    Yep, and that's all it is and it's personal with a prominent member of the BOG.
    I am surprised it took this long. The "unlimited" harvest was bound to prompt a closure, as it was FAR above what optimum brown bear harvest should be to maintain a CONTINUED hunt.
    If hunters wanted a a well managed sustainable hunt on the peninsula for trophy quality brown bears, blame the BOG for your loss.
    If you wanted "slash and burn" management resulting in as few bears as possible, blame the refuge for thwarting that plan.
    Kudos to the refuge for shutting it down.
    The management plan proposed and endorsed by ADF&G at the march meeting was a win-win for both sides, but the BOG threw it under the bus.
    Too bad.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Next we will have brown bear baiting if station is within 100 yards of refuge
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Homerdave, I disagree.

We really still don't have a good count of kenai bears. I think any reasonable person that spends a lot of time out in the "woods" on the Kenai knows that 630 bears is definitely on the low side of the population estimate. The FWS is going to come out on the low side on a brown bear count, just like they would on a wolf count too. I know a few years ago from what I saw from my travels around the kenai, there was no way there was less than 1,000 brown bear just using my eyes and common sense. There may be less than that today, but I know a few years ago there sure wasn't.

The original proposal from ADF&G was disagreed on by many kenai residents. It still kept the draw hunt for the refuge. The best bear hunting on the Kenai is on the refuge. Moose calves are in the toughest shape on the refuge. Moose overall are in the toughest shape on the refuge. It makes no sense to keep the refuge as a draw hunt. Even with a general hunt there will still be many trophy bears on the refuge, it will just be a matter of getting to them and how bad a person really wants one. There are enough thick woods on the kenai and those bears are smart enough that there is no way hunting is going to eliminate bears on the kenai. I'll admit the BOG got a little aggressive with brown bear baiting, but as far as the brown bear hunt is concerned I don't believe they did at all. In fact ADF&G will benefit monetary wise because 1,100 registration permits times 25 bucks a pop is 27,500 dollars that can go towards brown bear research and management.

The state wants some moose along with some bears. The feds want...bears. Why are the feds opposed to bio-diversity?

Oh our PRECIOUS refuge...!!! Heaven forbid that someone should shoot a bear on it....

Reminds me of the Skilak Loop closed area.........due to "Wildlife Viewing." As if there's thousands of critters around every bend in the road that people can enjoy looking at.

What a crock......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh our PRECIOUS refuge...!!! Heaven forbid that someone should shoot a bear on it....

Reminds me of the Skilak Loop closed area.........due to "Wildlife Viewing." As if there's thousands of critters around every bend in the road that people can enjoy looking at.

What a crock......
    Took the wife to Cooper Landing for a breakfast date about a week ago. Hit the loop road coming back. What did we see for wildlife? 4 bears. black bear sow with 2 cubs & a decent brownie. What did we see for scat on the road? Bear & plenty of it. Didn't see a single moose going either way between Kenai & cooper Landing.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Took the wife to Cooper Landing for a breakfast date about a week ago. Hit the loop road coming back. What did we see for wildlife? 4 bears. black bear sow with 2 cubs & a decent brownie. What did we see for scat on the road? Bear & plenty of it. Didn't see a single moose going either way between Kenai & cooper Landing.
    Ha..!!!....that would be a first for me!!! It's been awhile since I've been on the loop, but I really can't remember ever seeing any noticeable amount of critters while driving on it.....and that's after living here 30 years. I've seen more critters from the highway than I ever have on the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    4 bears. black bear sow with 2 cubs & a decent brownie.
    Oh and btw......how come you didn't have your rifle and brownie tag with you...???!!!.......lol

Oooops....Did I just say that...???

Most of the bears killed this season have been "easy" as in close to trails or the road. Very few were killed by moose hunters or even in popular moose hunting areas.
    So the take away from this is that though the loud and apparent testimony at the BOG meeting was about how many bears moose hunters were seeing ( to the exclusion of moose) the moose hunters who were testifying don't seem to have taken the opportunity to kill all those bears they were seeing....
    hardly any bears were killed in 15c, where most moose hunting takes place.
    lots of "talk the talk", but not much "walk the talk".
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

4merguide I'd like to add to the skilak loop "viewing area", I'm 30 years old now my dad showed me that burn area when I was about 10 years old! We would go in there "wildlife viewing" In the last 20 years I have covered 110% of that area "wildlife viewing". I used to see herds of moose in there feeding in the winter, hardly ever did I come acrossed wolf tracks. I'd find shed antler everywhere! Now the last 5 years or so I see maybe a dozen moose a winter but can't walk around any tree and not see wolf tracks! I had a incident with a pack of wolves a few years ago out there that had just taken a moose down, I was weapon less and helpless, and they were not afraid of me at all. There are more wolves and brown bear on that loop then moose on the Kenai. And that so called viewing spot they cleared 2 years ago is a joke!! Never had I seen anything in that spot! Waste of money that was! Last I knew people fill their freezers with moose to help sustain the winters, not wolves and brown bears! Predator population is high, moose is incredibly low! The predator population needs to be dropped!

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Most of the bears killed this season have been "easy" as in close to trails or the road. Very few were killed by moose hunters or even in popular moose hunting areas.
    So the take away from this is that though the loud and apparent testimony at the BOG meeting was about how many bears moose hunters were seeing ( to the exclusion of moose) the moose hunters who were testifying don't seem to have taken the opportunity to kill all those bears they were seeing....
    hardly any bears were killed in 15c, where most moose hunting takes place.
    lots of "talk the talk", but not much "walk the talk".
    Do you have the # on hand to compare how many moose hunters there was this year in the areas that you brought up compared to the past years? I know the recent reg changes and low moose # had people looking/hunting elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear crawl View Post
    4merguide I'd like to add to the skilak loop "viewing area", I'm 30 years old now my dad showed me that burn area when I was about 10 years old! We would go in there "wildlife viewing" In the last 20 years I have covered 110% of that area "wildlife viewing". I used to see herds of moose in there feeding in the winter, hardly ever did I come acrossed wolf tracks. I'd find shed antler everywhere! Now the last 5 years or so I see maybe a dozen moose a winter but can't walk around any tree and not see wolf tracks! I had a incident with a pack of wolves a few years ago out there that had just taken a moose down, I was weapon less and helpless, and they were not afraid of me at all. There are more wolves and brown bear on that loop then moose on the Kenai. And that so called viewing spot they cleared 2 years ago is a joke!! Never had I seen anything in that spot! Waste of money that was! Last I knew people fill their freezers with moose to help sustain the winters, not wolves and brown bears! Predator population is high, moose is incredibly low! The predator population needs to be dropped!
    That's interesting that you came on here and said this. After my last post I was thinking about how I remember for many years moose used to winter in there big time, and in fact I was wondering if they still were? Thanks for the input from somebody that has spent a lot of time in there.

I don't know if anybody else has heard the "story" of how the Skilak Loop closed area in fact came to be. Of course I can't verify this so don't hold me to it.... Years ago I was told that there was a prominent lower 48 couple that used to come up here and camp somewhere on the loop and had been doing so for quite some time. One year, when in fact it was still open to big game hunting, a moose hunter killed a moose pretty much right next to this couple's camp. Of course they didn't like that, and being the prominent couple that they were had friends in high places....senators, governors, you know....people with clout. So they went home and bellyached to these upity ups how they didn't like anybody shooting "their" moose in "their" favorite camping spot in Alaska. One thing led to another and before you knew it, the loop was closed to all big game hunting and the rest is history.

Curious if anybody else had heard this story...???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast