Thread: Unit 13- no any bull tags??

Default Unit 13- no any bull tags??

The draw tag supplement says "No Any Bull tags" for unit 13. There is an antlerless hunt..big whoop. I can't help but think all these "community harvest Hunters" destroyed a perfectly good system, and esentially will decimate the moose population in unit 13 if allowed to continue. I guess I was lucky to draw DM330 last year, probably the last time that will ever happen. Who comes up with this stuff??? Flame me if you want, I for one don't see this as effective management.

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    The draw tag supplement says "No Any Bull tags" for unit 13. There is an antlerless hunt..big whoop. I can't help but think all these "community harvest Hunters" destroyed a perfectly good system, and esentially will decimate the moose population in unit 13 if allowed to continue. I guess I was lucky to draw DM330 last year, probably the last time that will ever happen. Who comes up with this stuff??? Flame me if you want, I for one don't see this as effective management.
    So go to the BOG meetings and give them your .02
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    So go to the BOG meetings and give them your .02
    I agree, this forum is fine for discussing issues to get varying input but it does nothing to effect actual change in the system. The BOG is the place for that.

Could be all the sub legal bull poaching has had an effect as well. Way too many any bulls are already taken, no need to allow for additional management.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Could be all the sub legal bull poaching has had an effect as well. Way too many any bulls are already taken, no need to allow for additional management.
    Bingo!

I would like to know how many moose were taken under community harvest but I am sure it is way less than the any bull permits and subegals.

If I'm reading it right it, Tier 1 hunters can only apply for DM325 and that's it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    If I'm reading it right it, Tier 1 hunters can only apply for DM325 and that's it?
    it's the only Unit 13 Moose resident draw tag available...

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    it's the only Unit 13 Moose resident draw tag available...
    They are kicking a lot of revenue out of bed here. If they had five DM3?? hunts with 10 tags each they'd probably still have lots of folks willing to risk the $5 for a chance at each.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Bingo!

I would like to know how many moose were taken under community harvest but I am sure it is way less than the any bull permits and subegals.
    http://www.frontiersman.com/sports/o...9bb2963f4.html

From Howard Delo's Thursday column in the Frontiersman:

The actual numbers of bulls harvested in the CSH moose hunt for 2013 were: 82 any-bulls; three federally permitted any-bulls; 73 spike-fork, or 50-inch bulls (regulation bulls); and three federally permitted regulation bulls. The state figures the federal counts into their total numbers for harvest management. The overall total, then, was 161 regulation and any-bull moose harvested. The confusion among sport hunters may have been that subunit 13A had a quota of 16 any-bulls and 42 any-bulls were taken. When that total was learned, Fish and Game looked at modifying other subunit quotas to account for the high GMU 13A number, but decided to close the any-bull harvest to avoid exceeding the overall quota.

Thanks for the link and numbers CapnMike! That is a bit higher harvest than I was guessing at. It is interesting to note that the majority were taken out of 13A and also the large number of spike-fork or 50 inch bulls that were taken. I figured a lot of the CH participants would shoot the first moose they came across but it seems that some were picky or got darn lucky getting a general harvest tag legal bull.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    http://www.frontiersman.com/sports/o...9bb2963f4.html

From Howard Delo's Thursday column in the Frontiersman:

The actual numbers of bulls harvested in the CSH moose hunt for 2013 were: 82 any-bulls; three federally permitted any-bulls; 73 spike-fork, or 50-inch bulls (regulation bulls); and three federally permitted regulation bulls. The state figures the federal counts into their total numbers for harvest management. The overall total, then, was 161 regulation and any-bull moose harvested. The confusion among sport hunters may have been that subunit 13A had a quota of 16 any-bulls and 42 any-bulls were taken. When that total was learned, Fish and Game looked at modifying other subunit quotas to account for the high GMU 13A number, but decided to close the any-bull harvest to avoid exceeding the overall quota.
    That still sucks pretty bad. That's a take almost 3 times higher than their desired 'any' quota for that unit.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6