Thread: How many hours.

Default How many hours.

How many hours do you hear of folks putting on their newer 4 stroke outboards?

I guess that I have recently thought that if I were to get 2000 hours I would be doing really good. I have a friend who has 5K hours on his twin 250 yammies and he says they are 'like still new'.........I was kind of thinking that 5k hours is getting pretty close to Medicaid and SS time.

2006 Suzuki DF115 w/jet. 520 Hours. Lots of idle time while trolling.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I had a tad over 1700 on my last Yami 115's and they ran great. Until a little rock took them out. Change oil pumps after 1000 or so and they will run forever.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

What year are your buddy's Yammies? My 225 is on the same block so I like the song he's singin.

Charterboat Operator

I am still trying to wear out my 2 stroke 150's, 1750 on each, still purring

1990 hrs on Spoiled Ones previous yamaha 100's on the Hewes. Purr like kittens with 100 hr oil changes (6x this summer), lower unit oil changes every 200 hrs, one oil pump, one fuel pump, new timing belts. Plugs & filters once a year.
    Think Homer Dave got about 5,000 hrs on his previous pair of Honda 90's.
    Have a friend on Kauai that got 7,000 hrs on a pair of 70 Suzuki's.

Big Jim - How did you know when the oil pump needed replacement? 600 hours a year!......that would be time well spent - or you are working - even so you get to be on the water.

His are 225's. 2004 year.

I found out when one of my oil pumps were going bad when I was getting a low oil alarm at start up. The alarm sounds at start up occasionally anyway, but mine stayed on about 30 seconds. The local Yamaha deal said that's a tell tail sign that it's going bad.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

When I had timing belts replaced, lots of oil dripping from powerhead when the motor is tilted all the way up.
    I run the boat as a water taxi in Homer and absolutely love the Hewes and those older motors. Way fuel efficient, will run any pitch prop altho I like the 19"s for overall use and they just seem to run better and better with the hours. The boat sat for a while which I believe like anything mechanical does more harm than hours being put on them. Like those carbed motors enough that I picked up 2 spare motors. One is almost a running swap and the other is a blown motor but is good for parts.

I plan to put a water pump and associated gaskets in mine this spring but other than that and some new spark plugs I think I'll just use it and not worry until I need to.

No one mentioned impellers? Is that what the water pump is on the newer larger 4-strokes, or do they use a bolt-on water pump like an auto? And, how often under what conditions do the impellers/pump need replaced? Does the motor start peeing weaker as an indication it is time, or do they just quit, and then you are in trouble??

My yammie 90 is an impeller. An semi-expensive one at that if you also get the seals and/or pump housing. I haven't replaced mine yet. I do not think that the motor has every had a new one on it. At 457 hours now, I plan to replace it this spring. It is still peeing good, but I like to look around in there and see how things are looking and also to have a better understanding of how to R&R it.

Yep, an ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    No one mentioned impellers? Is that what the water pump is on the newer larger 4-strokes, or do they use a bolt-on water pump like an auto? And, how often under what conditions do the impellers/pump need replaced? Does the motor start peeing weaker as an indication it is time, or do they just quit, and then you are in trouble??
    I replace mine every two or three years but I really think it depends on how many hours you put on your motors. The one time I had one go out on me there was no indication and it just went. Luckily I was on a lake and not way our in PWS so I was able to make it back to the dock. By waiting until it went out it also melted the housing, which is the expensive part Bullelkklr is talking about. I can get just the impeller and gaskets for less than half what the housing and other parts costs on my twin 150hp Yamahas. If you change it before it goes it will save you in the end so it is more then worth it to me to change them early.

I am going to change mine early, and replace the housing - even though I am sure that it is in pretty good shape. I'll keep the housing and old impeller on the boat in my parts bag. If the impeller is hard, I'll put a new one in my parts bag. My kicker will hopefully get me to somewhere that I can don some waders and drop the lower end to replace the water impeller in the field in a worse case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    1990 hrs on Spoiled Ones previous yamaha 100's on the Hewes. Purr like kittens with 100 hr oil changes (6x this summer), lower unit oil changes every 200 hrs, one oil pump, one fuel pump, new timing belts. Plugs & filters once a year.
    Think Homer Dave got about 5,000 hrs on his previous pair of Honda 90's.
    Have a friend on Kauai that got 7,000 hrs on a pair of 70 Suzuki's.
    Big Jim- Do you store your boat heated indoors for the winter?

I don't think there is really any way to tell how many hours you'll get out of an outboard. Do your 100hr sevices, don't run it hard in the swell, and I think you'll up your odds a bit for a long lasting engine. I've seen engines blow at 1k hours, and some at 2.5k. Some are still going at 6k. You just never know.

Hoyt; boat is in water currently; likely will pull it for a bit this winter to bottom paint and maybe some minor projects, otherwise planned on keeping it wet and ready to go.