Thread: Anything open yet?

Default Anything open yet?

Bought my first snowmachine over the summer and I'm anxious to finally get out and "snow check" it. Anyone know if anything w/in 3 hrs of Anchorage is open for riding yet? I heard Hatcher's was open for x-country skiing already. Think they have 15"+ up there (http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/data/stations/curyear/h_hata2). Haven't seen anything on the ASC trail reports yet. Thanks!

Wait until we get snow in town. You can ride on 15", but you'll beat the snot out of it on rocks/stumps/yetis and everything else hiding underneath

Agreed. Don't be in a hurry to wreck your new toy.

Wait for a couple of good dumps to form a base then hit the next snowfall, especially super rocky terrain like Hatchers Pass. Not smart to ride there until there's at least 3 feet.

It's not nick-named Crasher's Pass by accident (Well, actually, it is. A whole bunch of accidents)
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

leave hatchers parts alone until there is at least a 3' base
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

I just saw new pictures on facebook from Ride Petersville showing about a foot of snow up above the canyon. Whoohoo

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I here willow area has about a foot and a half of snow. Anyone sledding yet

All the major creeks as well as the Big and Little Su were still open as of last night. Lakes around our cabin near Trapper Creek had overflow under the snow and thin ice below that. Although you can easily ride down a trail, crossing water is still sketchy. That should start changeing for the better this week with the cold temps.

Being As I have a new baby in the house….I am limited to short day trips. Being as the Palmer side of Hatchers Pass is so limited to snowmobile use…. (its more mountain riding then I like anyway)...

I am quickly becoming fond of the Big Lake and Willow Areas……I have a place to store the sleds in Big lake and can ride from this location without having to trailer the sleds, therefore it optimizes the daylight hours.

All in All I love the way Big Lake trails Maintains the trails……But their website hasn't seen an update since 2011…and with the reroutes the trails are going through (due to railroad construction) it is certainly going to be interesting to learn this year…it will be interesting to see if Big lake trails updates their website with new map data….. regardless riding and learning is half the fun.
    However…. as big lake trails website is so antiquated I usually check conditions of this area at Flatlake.com this website is excellent and updated almost daily
    I also befriended Big Lake trails on Facebook and they usually send me notices as the trails are groomed… You gotta love modern technology

I have not received any notices that any trails have been groomed yet this year. however the lake is freezing fast. with the colder temps and with heavy snow being predicted this week…. We will be digging out sleds with red faces soon enough. :-)
    Just be paitent…..dont jump on that new sled just yet… Break it in before you brake it…..

An encouraging amount of snow fell in the Petersville area. There is no rain crust from last Friday and it started snowing again at my cabin Saturday afternoon and was still snowing when I left last evening. However, the creeks are still not fully frozen and the small lake I cross to get to my cabin had more overflow on it this weekend than last. Riding around in the swamps, my tracks filled with water in many places. Getting there, but the ground and water seem resistant to freezing up good, even after last week's deep freeze.

Got a message the other day the Kenny Creek Lodge up in Peteresville is open now. Saw a picture at the lodge with about 2.5-3 feet of snow next to there gauge. They snowmachined in beer and food so the trail must be froze up solid in the swampy areas...

Quote Originally Posted by MTfisher View Post
    Got a message the other day the Kenny Creek Lodge up in Peteresville is open now. Saw a picture at the lodge with about 2.5-3 feet of snow next to there gauge. They snowmachined in beer and food so the trail must be froze up solid in the swampy areas...
    Not necessarily. I didn't mean to imply the swamps were impassable, just that you are likely to encounter water and maybe some mud. I was able to drag my stuff in but it certainly wasn't froze solid. I'd be real leery of any creek crossings.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Rode at Petersville yesterday. Put 42 miles on the new SWT 600 Etec. Great machine. Parked at Kroto Creek and went up the road past the buildings at Petersville and then up the right side trail to the Peters Hills. Close to 2 ft of snow to start. Parking lot not plowed very well yet but not a big deal. Road still in pretty good shape. More snow as you get higher but light also got flatter, about normal for the area. Once we got out on the higher ground above the tree line there was probably 3 ft of snow. There was a hard crust down about 6 inches in the open areas but softer stuff in the bushes. Great ride and we were the first to put some tracks in some areas. I think this was the earliest ride I've ever been on. Looks like the dog mushers are out on the trail so keep an eye out.

Eureka has 20"
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"