Thread: Shed Dogs? advice?

Talking Shed Dogs? advice?

Hey everyone! I'm new, so I hope this is in the right section. I got a pup (now 14 weeks) and we have been working on training to find shed. I have had gundogs before, but never looked for sheds as I never lived in an area with a high enough population of deer, moose, etc. to make it worth it. I just moved up here in the summer as was curious if there are a group of y'all out there that use your dogs to look for sheds, if you could give me a time range for when they start to drop (I've heard a number of different times of year and am a little confused) and if you have any advice or tips. My new pup is a Tamaskan, pretty high energy and she has a pretty good nose so I figured this would be a good activity to try our hand at up here.

Thanks in advance guys!

Welcome to the forum.

As for shed hunting, I don't think Alaska is the ideal place for it, but it's certainly worth trying. We don't have any animals in the interior that yard up during the winter (deer are only along the south coast), so the shed you find are going to be pretty few and far between. Moose drop their sheds starting in late November through March, but you'll have to find a good area where bulls tend to hang out to look for them.

I've never spent much time with my dog on sheds, so I can't help you much with the training, but maybe someone else on here can shed some light on it (pun intended). Good luck!

Thanks miller. I've never spent time on it either, but we have a few moose running around my house and the dog has taken her own interest, so I figured why not see. I also figured I need something to get me out the house in the winter, even if it doesn't pan out, we can check one of the two goals off the list.

I would think the hard part would be teaching the difference between shed and live critter.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've known a few guys that were successful (kind of, it was hit and miss for the most part) finding sheds with dogs in Michigan. A good friend started his lab by mostly using antlers for chew toys and using a wood rasp on the sheds before putting his dog in the general area for training. Ruger is 4 now and they find more than my friend would on his own, he runs towards a few that wouldn't be found otherwise according to my friend.

I would think that It would be much like teaching a dog to track a crippled bird. With a dog on leash have someone help you with a horn tied to a rope drag the horn out of sight of the dog. Then tell the dog to find it dog should be able to sniff it out. Should be one of the easier lessons as far as dog training goes. As far as areas holding a large number of sheds I would look at areas like the denali hwy to do some training in the spring and summer, just be mindful your in bear country and take precautions.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

I attended a Tom Dokken seminar at last years Pheasant Fest. Here is some more info. http://www.dokkensoakridgekennels.co...g_training.htm

Thanks for posting that Kody some interesting stuff.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

kody - i wish i could have/could go to one of his seminars. That is what we started using when I started a few weeks ago, seems to be working well so far, I guess i'll let you know how well it works when the snow melts

I would think the Palmer Hay Flats or maybe even Kincaid Park in Anchorage could be productive places to look. Large numbers of moose over winter on the flats and Kincaid Park has a resident moose population that stays in the area all year.
    Nylrem

http://www.americanhunter.org/articl...16&cat=4&sub=5

My friend and pro trainer Ethan Pippitt trains shed finding dogs. The above link is a good little read. He owns and operates Standing Stone Kennels. Give him a call, he will be able to give you some advise Im sure. Tell him Ryan from Alaska told you to call.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans