Thread: Shipping a moose hide

Default Shipping a moose hide

So I fleshed, salted and dried a moose hide to send out for tanning to make a bed spread or wall hangar, problem I have is now its too stiff to fold up and put in a box, i'm afraid of it cracking. Can I re-hydrate it with salt water to fold it?

Thanks!

Wouldn't suggest getting it wet.sometimes a hide stored in a storage shed or other non heated area can soften
    up a stiff hide..enough to get it folded anyway...
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Been there, you can usually get them to bend. Dont rehydrate just be firm. Ive had to literally jump on hides to get them to fold up small enough to fit in a box. Ive never had one crack or break and Ive shipped thousands of hides over the years. You can also "make" a box to fit. If you can get it folded in half, you can cut two large boxes to make "sandwich" with the hide in the middle and ship it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    Been there, you can usually get them to bend. Dont rehydrate just be firm. Ive had to literally jump on hides to get them to fold up small enough to fit in a box. Ive never had one crack or break and Ive shipped thousands of hides over the years. You can also "make" a box to fit. If you can get it folded in half, you can cut two large boxes to make "sandwich" with the hide in the middle and ship it that way.
    Thanks, I was wondering about that, just afraid since I've never done it! I'll give it a **** this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If it is as dry as you said, then it absolutely WILL crack and it will show once you get it back from the tanner! You can rehydrate it with no problems, just re-salt and get it dried out again. This time get it folded up before it dries out too far.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    If it is as dry as you said, then it absolutely WILL crack and it will show once you get it back from the tanner! You can rehydrate it with no problems, just re-salt and get it dried out again. This time get it folded up before it dries out too far.
    I had some trouble getting it dried out the first time, but that was because the hair side was soaked too. I was thinking this time around about putting some soaked towels on it to re-hydrate just enough to get it flexible, sound reasonable? Do I need to re-hydrate with salt water?

I've used a spray bottle to rehydrate hides before but I think your idea will work very well. Ive never tried salt water, don't think you need to do that. I looked for some pictures I took a few years ago of a customers elk hide he sent me. It was cracked from trying to fold it up after it was too dry. It came back from he tanners just the way it went in, all cracked. But I couldn't find the pics I took.

It could crack. Salt attracts water so just putting it outside for a couple days might soften it up enough to get it folded.

Went through this with a bear hide the other day and did the wet towel trick and had no issues. Set the towels on there for a night and it softened up just enough to fold it up.

Thanks again for all the replies, I think I'll put some towels on it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free