Thread: Anyone else eat Trout Cheeks?

Default Anyone else eat Trout Cheeks?

The small piece of meat that moves the mouth.

Not trout but walleye cheeks are very good

Default Cheeks, hell!

My wife eats the whole head on almost every fish I bring home. I have to fight for the halibut cheeks.

I'm sure they would be great, but it sure would take a lot of peanut sized cheeks to make a meal!

The yield is a bit better on a salmon of 10# or better.

Here is how I cut the cheeks out of a salmon.

The first pic is line drawing that shows schematically where the masseter (cheek) muscle lives... yes, it's pretty big!

The second pic shows the same area outlined by my fillet knife.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

The area is carefully undermined right down to the flat saucer-shaped bone under the muscle. NOTE: I failed to keep the knife tip tight to the bone in the upper left quadrant, and so a thin wafer of cheek meat was left on the bone. My bad!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

On a big king, the cheek can be a meal in itself!

The KeenEye MD

Looks good Doc, Marcus would be proud! I will be on the river maybe Saturday, for sure Monday thru Thrusday.

Default Fins for the Barbi

The last few years I have been saving all the collars and fins from kings, and slow cooking them on the barbeque. They are fantastic!! There is a lot of great meat there.

Default Trout Cheeks

I eat them when feasible,which isn't all that often and obviously based on size. The other delicate part are the areas right behind the head which is most often discarded when cutting off the head. One more reason I cook large fish whole on the grill or oven-you get no waste and get to pick it all (the dog doesn't like it though......).

As I only keep a couple of these a year, may as well enjoy it all. This is a nice 23" buck from one of the valley lakes that couldn't resist a fast reeled gold Mepps.

Default cheek removal

On big lake trout caught on Isle Royal we would remove the head and quick boil it like a lobster or other shellfish. This dissolved the holding tissue of the cheek muscle and the cheek would pretty much float up to the surface.

You have to be careful to do this fast so as not to cook the cheek, they are much better sauted or grilled. Not sure if this would work on a salmon but on big trout it was an amazing (and tasty) way to do it.

I'm in good company! My buddy thinks I'm a freak

Long live the trout cheeks !

All cheeks on fish RULE!! Always the richest/tastiest part.

One of the guys with the fillet crew cleaning our halibut this weekend in Homer eats the salmon cheeks raw. Says their the best. If I ate raw fish, I'd have tried them; my buddy said they were very mild.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.