Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: How far does a OUTHOUSE need to be from a CREEK.....???

  1. #1

    Default How far does a OUTHOUSE need to be from a CREEK.....???

    That is the question......??? I seem to remember that it is 100 feet.

  2. #2
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  3. #3

    Default

    This is on MY property.

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

  4. #4
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    The standards are the same. If you call them and ask, they're going to quote you the same info and/or point you at that document.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  5. #5

    Default

    Well, I don't care enough to call some bureaucrat and ask what I can do on my property.

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The standards are the same. If you call them and ask, they're going to quote you the same info and/or point you at that document.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well, I don't care enough to call some bureaucrat and ask what I can do on my property.
    ...So, instead you ask here and argue with the answers? I'm sure the bureaucrats are really disappointed that you don't call.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  7. #7

    Default

    Sorry, I did not SEE an answer............Could you reduce it to a number, please.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    952

    Default

    100 feet from surface water (your creek), 4 feet above the water table, and 150 feet from a drinking water source. Three numbers, I know, but it is what it is.

  9. #9
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Sorry, I did not SEE an answer............Could you reduce it to a number, please.
    Sorry. I must have been too abbreviated in post #2 wherein I stated "Appendix A", and then provided a URL link. In doing so, what I intended was that you should open the URL link provided, then scroll to and read Appendix A to "SEE" the answer to your question. I'll endeavor to be more specific next time.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  10. #10
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Always get your drinking water up stream.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  11. #11
    Moderator Adison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    236

    Default

    These days, there's always someone else "upstream"! Lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

  12. #12

    Default

    Ten thousand thank you's.........

    Quote Originally Posted by nrick View Post
    100 feet from surface water (your creek), 4 feet above the water table, and 150 feet from a drinking water source. Three numbers, i know, but it is what it is.

  13. #13
    Member AK6Pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    108

    Default Distances

    Here is the table
    distances.jpg

  14. #14
    Member SockeyeOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adirondack Mountains
    Posts
    172

    Default

    I'm new on these forums, and I don't live in Alaska, so please pardon me for butting in.

    Here in the Adirondacks we also have something called, interestingly enough, the 'DEC'. We also have the APA, and here where I live, the LGPC. They are all bureaucratic agencies that provide a lot of regulation in the form of what amounts to zoning. I am up to my ears here in regulatory rulings and 'informations' regarding what and where I can do things on my property. Not surprisingly black water regulations are one of the things that are very highly regulated here, including outhouse and/or septic system construction.


    What is my point? Follow the regulations or don't they are only designed to protect you, your neighbors, and the quality of the immediate enviornment. The bottom line is that if you don't either you or someone close by is going to be drinking your poop. You can do what you like on that account I suppose, but someone else might take offense if they discover you been poopin' in their water.

  15. #15

    Default

    Well I had a long talk with the person living closest to where I want to build the outhouse...............I had to look in the mirror as I am my only neighbor up the creek or down the creek......Now that is because my property is 1/4 mile deep by a bit over 1/10 of a mile wide. Up stream of my property is Chugach National Forest, and the creek comes fresh off the mountain and my property is the first privately owned property it encounters. The hole was excavated yesterday and is 190 feet from the creek.


    [QUOTE=SockeyeOne;1337964 What is my point? Follow the regulations or don't they are only designed to protect you, your neighbors, and the quality of the immediate enviornment. The bottom line is that if you don't either you or someone close by is going to be drinking your poop. You can do what you like on that account I suppose, but someone else might take offense if they discover you been poopin' in their water. [/QUOTE]

  16. #16
    Member SockeyeOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adirondack Mountains
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well I had a long talk with the person living closest to where I want to build the outhouse...............I had to look in the mirror as I am my only neighbor up the creek or down the creek......Now that is because my property is 1/4 mile deep by a bit over 1/10 of a mile wide. Up stream of my property is Chugach National Forest, and the creek comes fresh off the mountain and my property is the first privately owned property it encounters. The hole was excavated yesterday and is 190 feet from the creek.
    190 feet should be just fine. Not only does it meet the 150 foot rule, but it goes even further than that.

    As to my point about neighbors, poop unlike salmon, does not swim upstream. Rather, it flows downstream. Eventually that creek of yours drains into something that crosses private property. Pooping in the stream on your property pollutes miles and miles of waterway downstream. Thats what I was getting at. I dunno what its like there, but around here I would be more afraid of the other property owners than the DEC when it comes to getting caught polluting water supplies.

    Happy privy building.

  17. #17

    Default

    You make a LOT of assumptions........there are NO humans living down the creek between me and Turnagain Arm (That is part of the Pacific Ocean). And while I appreciate your, "Happy privy building". This is the fourth Homestead I have built in the last 44 years, all in Alaska.


    Quote Originally Posted by SockeyeOne View Post
    190 feet should be just fine. Not only does it meet the 150 foot rule, but it goes even further than that.

    As to my point about neighbors, poop unlike salmon, does not swim upstream. Rather, it flows downstream. Eventually that creek of yours drains into something that crosses private property. Pooping in the stream on your property pollutes miles and miles of waterway downstream. Thats what I was getting at. I dunno what its like there, but around here I would be more afraid of the other property owners than the DEC when it comes to getting caught polluting water supplies.

    Happy privy building.

  18. #18
    Member SockeyeOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adirondack Mountains
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    You make a LOT of assumptions........there are NO humans living down the creek between me and Turnagain Arm (That is part of the Pacific Ocean).
    Now or never?

    Thanks for the Geography lesson. I never knew what that thing next to the Seward Highway was called.

  19. #19

    Default

    Are you anywhere near Lake Placid.....???

  20. #20
    Member SockeyeOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adirondack Mountains
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Are you anywhere near Lake Placid.....???
    When I am not in Alaska, yes.

    Its about a half hour away. Ever been there? I don't go often. Its sort of a tourist trap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •