Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bear issues while duck hunting

Default bear issues while duck hunting

this morning I went out to kgb for geese I was hopeing. saw lots of swans, snows, dark geese and a flock of 100 or so ducks fallowing a good 20 swans in and every one of them landed in the inlet. I always glass the area for ducks jumping ponds with my binos and after the first hour I seen a nice shiny moving object on the far side behind sawmill road. I watched it a lil bit and seen it was a big brownie but he was keeping to his own for now. half hour later I couldn't see him no more. another 30 mins and he stood up at my side of goose creek as I was trying to call a few geese down from literaly the heavens. well I wasn't to far from goose creek myself so I grabbed my gear and started to head out quickly and I guess over the couple seconds I turned my head he decided to move quickly too, to the point I gave him a nice mud bath with a 44 round. that's all it took to make him turn around and run a ways. I had a issue the first year I started duck hunting. I was walking to a place on the little su that I always seen ducks while fishing. so me and my dog are walking the trail through the woods and a small black bear decided to play tag with my dog! I let it go a short while as it was pretty cute and didn't seem he was up to no good but when he thaught he was gunna play tag with me he got a ass full of number 4 and ran like crazy. has anyone else had any bear issues while calling specifically.

Nope. But I always walk in through the alders with slugs loaded. It's been awhile since I've seen tracks but the story a couple of years ago about the guys near Portage Creek that nearly ended with a brown bear in the boat renewed my warriness.

He's been out there or almost a month now.. We saw tracks and others have as well around the knik river side and rabbit slough side.. He Gould be moving on soon.. **** scary though... Knowig he's out there.. Last thing you would expect to see while duckhunting..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I have run into a few Black Bears downstream of parks Hwy along the Matanuska. Be thankful you seen this bear when you did might have had it in the blind with you otherwise. Thanks for the Heads, up im sure there are others hunting that area that will find the info useful.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

that is why I carry the ruger Alaskan in a diamond d chest holster for the fact you might be able to use it in a wrestling match. but some of the handguns I see guys carry for bear are so long I couldn't even see getting it unholsterd fast enough to need a long barrel let alone if the big boys chewing on you. and I wonder how the regs work with slugs as it states no lead shot. I know we all know the difference and the reasons on bolth sides but may it be considered an infraction if checked. to me either way better to live and get a ticket then to die because you were concerned of the wording.

Last year, I believe it was sept 2012 girdwoodairboater posted about a run in, rather run over they had while hunting in portage area. him and another guy were hunting portage area from a blind, having a good hunt and next thing you know, a moose comes running right though the back side of their blind, a few seconds later, here comes a brownie, only i think the brownie turned towards them. they blasted and killed the brownie. had a number of pictures of the destruction and the bear. i may have the details mixed a bit, its been a year, but my description is close. i'm sure you can do a search on here and get the accurate story with photos.

in addition, I do know there was a confirmed siting of a brownie at Reflection lake this summer. something you always have to be aware of. Bud
    Wasilla

well this is my one a year for two years way to close of a call with a big bruin and im happy it has turned out good for me. I just heard from a friend I was telling of the encounter that her friends family member just got mauled on Kodiak and is awaiting airlift or other transport as of an hour ago I believe so its a real danger here in Alaska I was just prepared, aware, and lucky once again today. as far as I am concerned a big bear will show you they are not that cuddly. I seen parks try to round up 2 griz cubs at willow creek because there mom went missing and they were tiny but the parks guys got more road rash then hitting a semi on a motorcycle after they got the noose on them and they were less then 100 lbs

Saw a brown bear crossing glen in eagle river Mon or Tue morning... He was headed for Carr's grocery store...

Duck hunters see a lot of brownies below Skilak on the Kenai. A couple trappers got smacked around pretty good there last November.

Sounds like it may have been a case of mistaken identity...You were using a goose call? That bear may have thought you were a big goose...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Sounds like I need to trade in my predator calls for a goose call! I carried slugs while duck hunting last year, if they really want to write me a ticket for lead slugs i'll take my chances in court. FWIW the gun shop down here had some brass slugs, or something along that line.

Shotgun slugs are OK as they are not shot. Lead from a pistol or slug from shotgun thought of as the same. If slugs were a no no so would be a handgun as its illegal to hunt ducks with rifle or pistol.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

nearly hxxx, he tore our boat blind apart. three rounds of #4s at barrel lenghth kept him out of boat and when my partner jumped backwards out of boat i was clear to put 3 more in his c-spine and put him down. that bear though was head down running/ trailing that moose like a beagle on a rabbit. we have a new one down there this year and has come into camp and got a 12 g rubber bullet to his ribs. we have seen him about 4 times this duck season but no encounters. we carry slugs durning the morning walk in. trout slayer maybe your goose call sounds like a wounded rabbit? bears will come to predator calls.

I will tell you I suck at calling so far it seems so that could very well be posable and I don't think waveing a goose flag helped none. today I did find that I am getting decoy placement down though as every duck I seen 3 total came over my shoulder to try to land in my set of just two and on the return I nailed one and didn't realize how for they can sail afterwards. so he went about 200 feet and splashed down in the ocean mad it ended my day. but every time I would take a leak here comes a duck off the ocean and could care a less I was standing there so maybe I just have everything all messed up lol.

troutslayer
    Hows the ice out that way, thinking of heading out there tomorrow. Not to worryed about the bear, bears don't like me. Guess they know I'll kill their azz if they get in my way.

Quote Originally Posted by AK.airboater View Post
    nearly hxxx, he tore our boat blind apart. three rounds of #4s at barrel lenghth kept him out of boat and when my partner jumped backwards out of boat i was clear to put 3 more in his c-spine and put him down. that bear though was head down running/ trailing that moose like a beagle on a rabbit. we have a new one down there this year and has come into camp and got a 12 g rubber bullet to his ribs. we have seen him about 4 times this duck season but no encounters. we carry slugs durning the morning walk in. trout slayer maybe your goose call sounds like a wounded rabbit? bears will come to predator calls.
    Hi Steve, why don't you post those pics, etc, or refresh the entire writeup from last year for these guys. Bud
    Wasilla

the ponds are iced over the last two days and not melting enough during the day. today I should have walked a grid in the ice to push sheets under what I wasn't busting up instead of busting ice to try to get open water. I found so far its much easier sometimes to push thin big pieces of ice under the rest to open rather then to let it melt like today, just the edges melted today were I was even after making a swamp goo slushy. it was rather ripe today in the sunny areas early on. the birds though seemed to be few and there was large groups of everything yesterday in just a couple hours. and if I was legal for a brownie I would have one nice rug.

long story short. moose runs by behind 14 foot boat blind. seconds later here comes the bear. at 30 ft he looks up and hits the front of the boat full force. got to hand it to my partner he stood there and unloaded his pump and never flinched. when he cleared the shooting lane the bear was still trying to tear that boat up. i really think he was all snagged up in the camo tank netting like it does to all of our gear! three more from me at 4 ft away and he went down. fish and game said: healthy 4 to 5 yr old,good shape, predatory responce. 7foot 3 inch sq.PA070346.JPGPA080350.JPG
    Wasilla

more bear photosPA080356.JPGPA080358.JPG
    Wasilla

PA080358.JPGPA080359.JPGmore bear photos

Photos and story below from Steve, Akairboater
    Wasilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast