Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 Drawing Supplement Online

Default 2014-2015 Drawing Supplement Online

Fortymile Youth Hunt!!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Fortymile Youth Hunt!!
    The boy and I were looking at this also. Might have to try it.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Delta Bison is back to either sex as well. I know a few guys shot the wrong type last year.

Loving the 40 mile youth hunt. I wonder how many people will shy away from it because if their kid shoots a bou, that counts against the adults harvest limit as well.

Anyone find if the cow / bull number of applications are the same like last year?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I think there are fewer cow hunts. haven't looked at the bull hunts

Extremely excited about this one. We've hunted this heard for several years and fought the crows here an there. With only 30 tags between the two zones, you'll be hard pressed to see anyone else. What a great opp. Also, just remember if they have completed the Hunters ED course then they get their own tag and it doesn't count against the adult hunting with them. Plenty of time to get those youth signed up for the online class and then the field proportion before then...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Delta Bison is back to either sex as well. I know a few guys shot the wrong type last year.

Loving the 40 mile youth hunt. I wonder how many people will shy away from it because if their kid shoots a bou, that counts against the adults harvest limit as well.

Am I reading something wrong or did the drastically cut the number of caribou tags for the DC 480-483 series?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    Am I reading something wrong or did the drastically cut the number of caribou tags for the DC 480-483 series?
    They went back to the original 1000 permits for the Unit now that the herd is within objectives.

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    They went back to the original 1000 permits for the Unit now that the herd is within objectives.

sent from my igloo
    Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks

That's pretty unimpressive..........If only there was an easily distinguishable sex characteristic.....like on its stomach.........oh wait.

Brett

I agree Brett. I've been on two Delta bison hunts, one of which was an any sex tag, and the other was bull only. It wasn't too hard during the bull hunt to distinguish what was what, but on the any sex tag it was nice to not have to worry. F&G is going to lose $85,000+ in drawing app's alone by dropping DI404, and that doesn't include the non-residents that have to buy licenses to apply.

I have to wonder if either of you two hunted them in March? Not to easy, in fact darn near impossible, to see a penis sheath with those thick hides and deep snow. But that triangular head of a big bull is pretty unmistakable tho.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Is anyone having success with the online link? Keep getting a damaged file unrecoverable message.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I have to wonder if either of you two hunted them in March? Not to easy, in fact darn near impossible, to see a penis sheath with those thick hides and deep snow. But that triangular head of a big bull is pretty unmistakable tho.......
    Easy solution...dont wait until March.

All joking aside, the head, horns and the front cape coloration are good in identifying the bulls. On younger animals it can be a challenge, but generally when you see a mature bull, there is no doubt that it is a bull. Perhaps I'm lucky, having grown up with domestic buffalo all around. I think a lot of the animals that are shot, wrongfully identified, are done so by people not taking the extra minute to look, or shooting at groups or running animals. In my opinion, unless you've been watching a herd and picked out an animal already, you have no right shooting a moving bison. Jump shoot ducks, not bison!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, I helped a friend this March and we tagged out on the 30th, and I helped my dad get one and we tagged out in February. I didn't say anything about the penis, there are other ways to tell. The people that I talked to that had problems this year had cow tags and shot young bulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVql_...rYCkOlVWVTGoXw

I didn't say anything about the penis, there are other ways to tell.
    I know. I was referring to BrettAKSCI when he said:

Quote Originally Posted by BrettAKSCI View Post
    That's pretty unimpressive..........If only there was an easily distinguishable sex characteristic.....like on its stomach.........oh wait. Brett
    Which you agree with, so is why I said what I did. I do agree with ERDucker tho when he said when you see a big bull there is no doubt. The one thing that stands out in my mind was the triangular head.

But I will disagree.......somewhat, about not waiting till March. I've always been a big fan on good hides on animals, and the hides on those March bison are no comparison to the early season ones. Even tho it's so dang cold, it really is the time I would like to kill a bison. But I do say "somewhat" because I wouldn't be picky if I was so lucky to draw a tag.......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have a big ol' farmed bison on the wall from a harvest I did in Montana several years back, so my goal would be to get a big bull with my bow if I were to draw the tag. I wouldn't care that much about the hide. It took my dad 4 trips to get his bison and I was along for three of those. We went out on his opener and should have had one of those big ol' no brainer bulls, but he shot just underneath him. The hide didn't seem that bad in September. After doing so many weekend jaunts down there, then spending a solid week with Rob this year, I will definitely plan a 10 day hunt WHEN I draw my bison tag.

Since you said "either of you two" I thought you were referring to me as well, no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    Is anyone having success with the online link? Keep getting a damaged file unrecoverable message.
    Must be getting too many hits. I can't bring up the site either.

Tier I and Tier II hunts, Community Subsistence Harvests also up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast